1977 Scamp restoration project - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #1

Name: Celeste
Trailer: 1977 13' Scamp
NY
1977 Scamp restoration project

Hi,

I've posted a few times before about my new 1977 13' foot Scamp. I'm looking forward to working on this, and I think I may have found an attached garage to rent so I can get it out of the cold. Here are some pictures. Next I will post about my windows.

Celeste
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0008.jpg   DSC_0009.jpg  

DSC_0011.jpg   DSC_0012.jpg  

Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #2

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Welcome Celeste,
Looks like you have your work cut out for you. I look forward to following your progress. Remember to have fun
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #3

NY
and the windows

Here are some pictures of my windows. I had them removed at an RV place. I'm worried that they didn't do a very good job. Namely, I think that they drilled out holes that are now larger than the original holes. So I worry that those holes will be too large for rivets.

Originally, my plan had been to order replacement windows from Scamp. But they needed the dimensions of the rough openings, which is why I had the windows removed. But when I called Scamp with those dimensions, it turned out that none of their replacement windows would fit. I looked into ordering custom made windows. But that turned out to be very expensive. And I read on a thread here that some folks have had problems with sliding windows when it is raining. So, I decided that I would have the windows restored. I went to a well-known glass place here, but he didn't have the right kind of gaskets, etc. And some of the pieces which hold the windows open (reticulating arms??? what would you call them???) are missing. So, I need to look into where I can get those pieces replaced. He also didn't have the kind of gasket which would hold the screening in place.

I've also got a picture of the material that was between the fiberglass and windows. It feels and looks like glass putty to me. I wonder whether it was put on with a caulk gun and then it just squeezed into place as the windows were installed.

Any advice anyone? I'm beginning to get a little discouraged.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0008.jpg   DSC_0011.jpg  

DSC_0012.jpg   DSC_0013.jpg  

DSC_0009.jpg   DSC_0010.jpg  

Old 01-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hello Celeste and welcome. It looks like you've got quite the project. The good news is that there are lots of folks with old scamps here to provide support and guidance. Looking at the pictures I see a lot of water stains. Have you gotten under the camper and looked at the floors. That's where I would start. Poke around and check they are ok. While you are there check the frame. Surface rust is ok but holes ect. are not. Next comes the axle. You get the idea. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Hello Celeste - the tape between the window frame and the trailer is called Butyl Tape and it comes in rolls - no caulking gun needed. Its easy to use and you should use it when mounting anything on the trailer, It lasts way longer than caulking. You will find a good video on using Butyl tape and putting the window back in using it here

I am sure if the place that took the windows out that it would not be a big deal to fill the holes in and redrill them once you are ready to mount the windows.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Celeste, great to see someone restoring another egg. I finished up a 1976 13' scamp last year and can tell you it's worth doing. The one thing I would recommend is getting a loose list together on what needs to be done and arrange it in some kind of order. Then pick out certain projects to work on. As you get to area's that are frustrating, just look at the sheet at what you've done and concentrate on the one your working on. Sometimes you need to not worry about the whole thing. This is a great site to ask questions. Post lots of pictures as you complete things.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Nice find.

I love Scamps of that era with those style windows.
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Celeste, were able to get any information from Jenny's great topic about these windows? http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ows-42049.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #9

NY
what is this wire for?

Hi,

Okay, I'm going to reply to folks' replies in a few minutes, but first, what is the purpose of the wire at the end of the arm for opening my windows? The only thing I can think of is that it keeps the arm from going all the way through the slot in the window.

Today is the day for working on these windows, so expect replies and more questions soon!

Celeste
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0001.jpg  
Old 01-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #10

NY
Hi Raz,

I think that yes, water did get inside at some point. But the floors seem solid as does the frame. I had the axle checked out and the bearings repacked before I towed it home from Michigan to New York.

Celeste
Old 01-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #11

NY
Donna,

That is a great thread. I've read it through once, but today I am going to read it more carefully and watch that video. Thanks for giving me that link. All your attention to these threads is really very helpful and I appreciate your time and efforts.

Celeste
Old 01-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #12

NY
Al of my windows are tilt out, and seeing other folks say that those are good windows makes me think that I've made the right choice in deciding to restore these windows, rather than replace them with new vinyl sliders.

Celeste
Old 01-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #13

NY
Dan,

I agree, I do need to get a list going. And I'm very much a list person, so that will work well for me. I live in upstate NY, and we've got snow right now, so for the time being I am leaving it at my local RV place, where I had the windows removed. But as soon as the weather allows, I am going to move it to a garage that I will be borrowing from friends. I have to tow it without windows in it, so I want good weather for that.

One dilemma for me is this: one the one hand, this is just a fun project for me, and I'm looking forward to completely renovating it, getting it right, etc. But at the same time, I bought this in order to have a comfortable and affordable way to go to Arts Festivals, where I sell my work. I have a show the first weekend in June, and I need to be able to use it by then. So that list will have to get worked on in such an order that makes me able to use it fairly soon. That's why I started with the windows.

Celeste
Old 01-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #14

NY
Thanks for this advice, Carol. I haven't watched that video yet, but I'm going to do so soon.

Celeste
Old 01-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #15

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste View Post
The only thing I can think of is that it keeps the arm from going all the way through the slot in the window.
I think you're correct. There may be more attractive ways to do this... such as a key ring?
Old 01-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #16

NY
Okay, today's project is to take all these windows apart, clean them, figure out which windows need what kinds of repairs, etc. So, my question of the moment is: what should I use to clean the aluminum?

Thanks,
Celeste
Old 01-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #17

NY
In particular, some of my windows are all covered with silicone caulking, so any advice on how to get it off would be great.

Celeste
Old 01-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #18

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste View Post
Okay, today's project is to take all these windows apart, clean them, figure out which windows need what kinds of repairs, etc. So, my question of the moment is: what should I use to clean the aluminum?

Thanks,
Celeste
Eagle Mag Wheel Cleaner, as per directions on container.

OK, sorry; just saw your post #17. Eagle won't help with the silicone removal. But is good otherwise for dull, tarnished and corroded aluminium.

Silicone is another matter.

Once it's all cleaned, some have used a clearcoat to protect the shine.
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #19

NY
Thanks Clive. I will definitely pick that up. I think I am probably going to just have to pick at all that silicone by hand.

On the inside of one of the big windows. all the aluminum surfaces have been covered with foam tape. I think it is the same tape that it is used to cover the seams in the ensolite interior. It is al yellow and brittle, but really stuck on. So I am also dealing with removing that.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #20

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Celeste, when I took my windows apart I first soaked the piece in water, then used a SOS kitchen pad and lots of water to get the original grime and gunk off. I then used a course, then medium, then soft steel wool dipped in water to clean and shine each piece. It was a lot of work, but it made them look like new. The steel wool and elbow grease should work great in getting off the yellow foam tape gunk. I put a pan of water on our dinning room table, turned on some good music and just did a piece or two a night. In no time you'll have it all done.

Tags
scamp