1977 Scamp window help! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2018, 10:47 AM   #1

Name: leonard
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
1977 Scamp window help!

I have a 1977 13' scamp that I am trying to restore. My next step is to replace the front and back windows. I have the original aluminum framing and I'm not sure what rubber to use when installing the new plexi glass windows if I keep the frames. Any help or pictures of your window jobs would be great!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1118.jpg  
amosmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:41 AM   #2

Name: Guy
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
Lets get this thing done....

Okay, I have a 1974 Scamp that I should have finished either this summer or next.

I took out the old widow pane's some we're cracked and the others were difficult to see through. Not to mention I had water coming into the Scamp.

I had to gut the whole thing, but thats another story for another day.

Because it has to meet today's standards the windows were replaced with plastic, I guess for safety reasons.

I removed the windows by drilling through the rivets, than took the whole frame out.

I removed a few screws, tossed them into some WD40 to remove any dirt or rust that was on them.

Removed the window pane and commenced to clean the frame throughly, no sense putting nice new windows into dirty frames.

I'm not sure if I kept and reused the old rubber, I don't think I did. Home Depot or Lowes can help you with that, and I guess Scamp as well.

But what was more important, just as important is what your going to use to reinstall the widows. I didn't want a redo of widow leaks entering in from the body.

So I purchased some Butyl Putty Tape, the benefits are quite good, GOOGLE it!

Put the window back in with rust proof screws ( I don't want rivets anywhere) on the outside as they are leaks waiting to happen.

The Butyl Putty Tape will give you peace of mind and make the installation water tight.

I hope this has helped, its rather easy, just take your time, remember where the screws go and you will be fine.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need any more assistance.

Guy
neauone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp