1977 Scamp window replacements - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #1

Name: Celeste
Trailer: 1977 13' Scamp
NY
1977 Scamp window replacements

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a 77 13' Scamp in need of some serious restoration. My windows are all in pretty bad shape - parts are broken, they leak, the gaskets are old and rotten, etc. So, I decided to replace the windows. I called Scamp, and they said they needed the dimensions of the rough openings. I took the trailer down to my local RV place, and had them remove the old windows, which meant drilling out all the rivets. They called me this morning with the dimensions, and when I called Scamp with those dimensions, not a single of their standard windows that they stock matches the rough openings on my trailer! What a bummer. They gave me the phone number for their window manufacturer, Hehr, in Indiana. So, I can call them to see if either they have windows that do fit or how much it would cost to have them custom made. Or I can adjust the rough openings on my trailer. Any and all advice will be much welcome.

Celeste
Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste View Post
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a 77 13' Scamp in need of some serious restoration. My windows are all in pretty bad shape - parts are broken, they leak, the gaskets are old and rotten, etc. So, I decided to replace the windows. I called Scamp, and they said they needed the dimensions of the rough openings. I took the trailer down to my local RV place, and had them remove the old windows, which meant drilling out all the rivets. They called me this morning with the dimensions, and when I called Scamp with those dimensions, not a single of their standard windows that they stock matches the rough openings on my trailer! What a bummer. They gave me the phone number for their window manufacturer, Hehr, in Indiana. So, I can call them to see if either they have windows that do fit or how much it would cost to have them custom made. Or I can adjust the rough openings on my trailer. Any and all advice will be much welcome.

Celeste
look here...
Windows - Hehr and Kinro RV Windows
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #3

NY
Okay, I called that place linked to above- very, very expensive. I also called a place called Parkin Accessories in Elkhart, Indiana. Scamp told me to call Hehr manufacturer, and they told me to call Parkin. They had much more reasonable prices. I'm also looking into having the original aluminum windows redone: new glass, new caulking, etc. Then they would have to be reriveted into place, which is tricky, because now I would have to use larger or longer rivets. And since I'm not going to do that work myself, I would have labor costs, whereas new windows go in very easily, from what I understand.

A couple of questions: how do I measure the radius used on the rounded corners for the windows? And which windows do I want to be able to open (sliders), and which is it fine to have be solid. The price differential between windows that open and those that do not is pretty sizable.

Thanks again for whatever advice folks have.

Celeste
Old 01-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Celeste: Go to easyRVwindows.com, it is Atwood's site, they have a radius template that you can print. I'm still researching to find windows for our CT13 Uhaul and Atwood was one of the places with the best prices. You can put in the size window you need and get an instant price. Post any other suppliers you find, it may help me and others. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Oh man Celeste, I'm so sorry. Had we known you were pulling the jalousies out, we could have saved you some trouble. You will find rebuilding those windows to be far cheaper than replacing them with new and your trailer won't require fiberglassing to fix the body for the new windows. AND you CAN put them back in yourself. I've pulled a couple of windows out of my trailer and it's not all that hard.

Let us know what you really want to do. (I wish I could trade my radius slider windows in for Jalousies!!!!)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #6

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
If you're looking to reuse the windows you've taken out, and are worried about the wholes being to big, look into using Stainless steel Machine screws and acorn nuts instead of rivets. A lot of members have gone this route and even prefer them. I still have to make that decision for my curtain rods soon.

Mark
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #7

NY
I am going to do a detailed price comparison and report back here. But first, do folks have advice about which windows should be able to open, and which is it okay to let be stationary? I'm thinking that I want the the windows front and back to be sliders, so that I can get cross ventilation, and then the rest (door and two side windows) can be solid. But I would be interested to know what the typical arrangement is.

Celeste
Old 01-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Typical arrangement on most Scamps I have seen including my own is the only window that does not open is the front one.

I suspect that as others have suggested fixing and putting back the old windows will be the cheaper option. Why btw do you need to use bigger rivets to put the windows back in? I have had to over time drill out a number of rivets and have been able to use the same size I took out. Did the people who took the rivets out us to big a drill bit?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #9

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
On our Trillium we have operable jalousie windows on all four sides. Even when it is quite warm we can open them and get cross ventilation regardless of which way the breeze is blowing. If you can repair the old windows you will be happy to have a window that can be opened in the rain without water coming inside. My 2 cents worth.
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Celeste what kind of window do you have in the back? Does it open? I don't remember what year that Scamp changed from a curved back to a flat back trailer, but it needs to be flat to put in any kind of window that opens.

Headscratch... now I'm really starting to wonder. Jenny has a 1976 Scamp and has tilt out windows. Check out this topic and see if it would help you?
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ows-42049.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp