1977 Surfside Restoration - Fibreglass Shell - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2018, 06:48 AM   #1

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Triple E Surfside
Ontario
1977 Surfside Restoration - Fibreglass Shell

Looking for tips on fibreglassing large openings where vents use to be. Particularly how to maintain rigidity and shape but make life easier on my time and wallet if possible. Any advice helps!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4218.jpg  
dchoile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:09 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Head to Habitat for Humanity Restore and pick up a fiberglass tub surround.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:26 AM   #3

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
Hi, I recently renovated and modified my 1978 Trillium 4500. I don't like or need the front window and replaced the huge opening with a flat sheet of FG, probably from a tub-surround? I find that flat Fiberglas is not very strong when it is not properly backed up with a suitable frame. I used 1/2 " water proof plywood and have not had any problem after 3 years. I did add more strength when I installed the bunk bed frame. sealing is always the main problem and best done with FG cloth that is 3 or 4 " wide.
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:04 AM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchoile View Post
Looking for tips on fibreglassing large openings where vents use to be. Particularly how to maintain rigidity and shape but make life easier on my time and wallet if possible. Any advice helps!
Dan, it's pretty easy to fill the openings. As mentioned, cut outs from a tub surround would work. I've used pieces from an old FG camper shell I got for just hauling it off. There are a number of threads doing this same thing. To me, the easiest way to hold the shape of large donor pieces would be to cut & bolt strips of wood on the outside that follows the shells shape & bolt your filler panel in place. Once you've glassed it from the inside, all the bolts etc can be removed & the finish work begins. The first time FGing is always the most daunting...then it's a piece of cake .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:54 PM   #5

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: Amerigo F-16 1978?
New Hampshire
Registry
Hello Daniel,
I just joined in hopes of finding the information you are looking for!
I have an Amerigo F-16 shell only, since I just finished gutting it. I need some frame restoration and I am filling in two large windows and many cutouts.
When I decide how to attack these issues and if I have any success I will be sure to share.
I am currently going to purchase a
3M 7162 Full-Face piece Spray Paint Respirator - Organic Vapor
by 3M
$132.52 on Amazon cheaper than my local parts store by about $40.00.

If you have not yet found any good You Tube videos please let me know as I have been doing research and found some great ones from the boating world.

Have a Great Day,
Jonathan
JonnyX151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:19 PM   #6

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: Amerigo F-16 1978?
New Hampshire
Registry
BoatworksToday on You Tube shows some great examples of grinding and fiberglass techniques.
JonnyX151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:27 AM   #7

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Triple E Surfside
Ontario
Thanks for this info! It helps w/ the confidence boost in attacking the large holes!
dchoile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surfside