1977 Surfside Restoration - Window Repair / Replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2018, 07:40 AM   #1

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Triple E Surfside
Ontario
1977 Surfside Restoration - Window Repair / Replacement

Hi Surfside community,

Looking for tips/recommendations to help w/ my decision on replacing the front 15x42 window. The glass broke on one side and I am having a tough time finding replacement windows. Pics attached. Willing to either replace the glass and keep the frame or buy a whole new window.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4486.jpg   IMG_4485.jpg  

IMG_4487.jpg   IMG_4474.jpg  

dchoile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:38 AM   #2

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
I am sure that others will have ideas on where you can source a window. I just wanted to make a comment based on camping in a Surfside. Please replace your window with one that opens. One big advantage of the Surfside is that windows open on all 4 sides giving the best air flow. Having just camped two nights in the extreme heat of the last few days, that air flow is a big deal!!
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:46 AM   #3

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1700
Michigan
DH went to a local glass place to have to 2 new radius panes cut and mounted in our existing window for the boler. We researched and found any needed window gaskets.

And I heartily agree about keeping opening windows, that is what I love about our Trillium.
Lisa in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:56 PM   #4

Name: Al
Trailer: 1969 Boler 13'
Alberta
Glass panes are easily and inexpensively replaced. Any glass shop worthy of the name can cut them.

For that matter...cutting sheet glass is REALLY easy to do.

Al
Gippeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:24 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
NO,NO,NO Dan, never use regular sheet glass on any kind of vehicle, tempered glass only. You have flat glass which makes it a piece of cake to have made up.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:04 AM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
You can also use polycarbonate for treplacing the panes. Using polycarbonate is important, don't use the less expensive acrylic plastic as it is more prone to fracturing and scratching. It is also a good choice because polycarbonate is easier to cut with a table saw, jig saws and routers.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:42 AM   #7

Name: Daniel
Ontario
Thanks for the heads up on the sheet glass. I prefer to have someone set it for me so will talk to local glass suppliers about having them install it since I don't know how to take the thing apart, which gaskets to buy and how to properly install and seal it.
dchoile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:22 AM   #8

Name: Al
Trailer: 1969 Boler 13'
Alberta
Tempered glass cannot be cut ..perhaps you meant safety glass? Not all glass shops will carry that in sheet form...better odds in an agricultural area.

Polycarbonate is very impact resistant, but is also very soft and scratches VERY easily.
Having used polycarbonate and acrylic over the years, acrylic machines much better.

When in doubt, bounce the question off the fellow in the back of the glass shop.

Al
Gippeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:06 AM   #9

Name: Dave
British Columbia
Hi last year I removed and replaced all the windows (including plywood backing trim) in a 78 Surfside. I could share the photos and techniques if you want them. I agree with the other members to replace the pane only.
David D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surfside