1978 Boler Complete Restoration / Rebuild - Page 10 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #181

Name: Chris
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Thanks. Paint was my favorite step, it went from looking like a beater to looking new instantly
Nelmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:27 AM   #182

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Really starting to get there Slav. Lots of good info. Cooler weather heading my way now and time to roll up my sleeves and get back to work.
Mike
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #183

Name: Slavomir
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanke View Post
Slav

Not sure what type of paint you are going to use.

A word a caution, if you are using Interlux Brightsides, they do not recommend using as HVLP sprayer to apply the paint. Use a regular sprayer or Roll & Tip.

He's a link to the Interlux forum that will provide a wealth of information on their paint. Topsides - Yachtpaintforum.com - Page 1

Can't wait to see your results.

I'm in the middle of fiberglass repair and hope to be able to get mine painted before it gets too cold. Gonna Roll & Tip!

Spanke
Hi David,

Thanks so much for the tips! I am thinking of Brightside on the top and I have the bottom color from a marine paint manufacturer from Massachusetts. I am quite certain that I'll do roll & tip as well, especially living in a condo.

I was hoping to be able to paint before the winter, but probably won't happen. Still have a good bit of work.

Slav
Old 09-29-2013, 12:17 PM   #184

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelmes View Post
Thanks. Paint was my favorite step, it went from looking like a beater to looking new instantly
I know what you mean! I keep envisioning ours painted so it looks new and not like an old turd bucket. Really wanted to get that done by the end of fall, but probably won't happen till spring. Maybe I'll prime it this winter so at least it will look clean on the outside.

Slav
Old 09-29-2013, 12:17 PM   #185

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
Really starting to get there Slav. Lots of good info. Cooler weather heading my way now and time to roll up my sleeves and get back to work.
Mike
Right on Mike, looking forward to your updates!

Slav
Old 06-08-2014, 09:30 PM   #186

Washington
Back to the Boler, Finally!!!

I can't believe that the last time I worked on our Boler was back in September of last year. We had some transitions/changes and unfortunately the little camper had to be forgotten.

But a couple days ago I was finally able to start it up again...and it feels really good! I got going with patching the rivet holes from the inside with FG mat - most are now patched and we will be staying away from any rivets.

I decided to also put another layer of FG mat around the belly band just to make things stronger (picture below). Don't want the egg to bust in half when I remove the aluminum band for refurbishing!

Here is to getting back to it!

Slav

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-001-BellyBand.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	72130
Old 06-08-2014, 09:55 PM   #187

Washington
Window Openings

The original windows were in poor state and we wanted to go with something more modern so we got Hehr windows directly from Scamp. Of course not only do they have radius corners but they're smaller overall. Here is a pic of the main side window opening:

Name:	2014-002-Window.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	356.6 KB
ID:	72131

And here is what putting in the new window looks like. Shows you that not only do I have to build up the corners but a strip on one of the sides:

Name:	2014-002-Window2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	72132

Name:	2014-002-Window3.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	72133

I spent part of yesterday and today building up the corners and side in the FIRST side window. It was a lot of work having to tape up wax-paper-lined cardboard and building up the layers from the inside. The issue with that was that the FG wants to fall forward due to a slight angle of the walls, so that took more wax paper and cardboard. In the end it was a lot of work for little progress. And it mostly looks like poop right now ...will take more FG and a some body filler and of course a lot of elbow grease to make it look good. I hope...

Name:	2014-002-Window4.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	72134

For the other windows I think I'll use the scrap FG fragment I have and maybe that will be better.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:41 PM   #188

Trailer: Home Built
If you would tape or screw wax paper covered cardboard on the outside following the natural curvature of the wall, it would stop the droopy problem....fiberglass Dave
D White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:18 AM   #189

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by D White View Post
If you would tape or screw wax paper covered cardboard on the outside following the natural curvature of the wall, it would stop the droopy problem....fiberglass Dave
Hi Dave,

Thanks, that's exactly what I did and had to do the same on the inside. The wall has some waviness so it was a pain and will be more work to make it look good.

Slav
Old 06-09-2014, 09:15 AM   #190

Alberta
I used hardboard covered in wax paper. The hardboard was cheap, flexible enough to follow the curve of the trailer and left a smooth finish. Just screwed it on.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:28 AM   #191

Washington
Quote:
I used hardboard covered in wax paper. The hardboard was cheap, flexible enough to follow the curve of the trailer and left a smooth finish. Just screwed it on.
The hardboard sounds pretty good, may try that with the other side. Thanks.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:35 AM   #192

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
It is going to look pretty awesome with those new windows, and will be awesome with your fiberglass fixes/reinforcements. I am going to have to learn about FG one of these days.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:00 AM   #193

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
It is going to look pretty awesome with those new windows, and will be awesome with your fiberglass fixes/reinforcements. I am going to have to learn about FG one of these days.
Thanks! FG is relatively easy, just messy and very stinky (use a respirator). Big pieces are more challenging.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #194

Washington
Quote:
Hey Chris, did you first screw in the exterior board, then apply the fresh FG layers from the inside and then screw in the interior board? That seems to make sense to me, but let me know if I'm forgetting something. I am feeling a bit discouraged with the way the first window went and may just opt to go with using spare FG like I did in post #114.

Thanks for your help.

Slav
Old 06-09-2014, 10:07 AM   #195

Trailer: Home Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavandheather View Post
The original windows were in poor state and we wanted to go with something more modern so we got Hehr windows directly from Scamp. Of course not only do they have radius corners but they're smaller overall. Here is a pic of the main side window opening:

Attachment 72131

And here is what putting in the new window looks like. Shows you that not only do I have to build up the corners but a strip on one of the sides:

Attachment 72132

Attachment 72133

I spent part of yesterday and today building up the corners and side in the FIRST side window. It was a lot of work having to tape up wax-paper-lined cardboard and building up the layers from the inside. The issue with that was that the FG wants to fall forward due to a slight angle of the walls, so that took more wax paper and cardboard. In the end it was a lot of work for little progress. And it mostly looks like poop right now ...will take more FG and a some body filler and of course a lot of elbow grease to make it look good. I hope...

Attachment 72134

For the other windows I think I'll use the scrap FG fragment I have and maybe that will be better.
Just sand that patch with 80 grit real good and put some filler (bondo) on it and you will be amazed how easy it smooths up...fiberglass Dave
D White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:14 AM   #196

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by D White View Post
Just sand that patch with 80 grit real good and put some filler (bondo) on it and you will be amazed how easy it smooths up...fiberglass Dave
Yes, will do, thanks Dave!
Old 06-09-2014, 10:35 AM   #197

Alberta
I screwed hardboard on the outside matching the profile to give it shape. Then added either bondo or gelcoat (bondo is not the best for this as in bigger patches it can crack after a while). Then I added a layer of fiberglass on the inside. Let it dry, then another and so on. I didn't use a form on the inside, as the fiberglass took the shape of the outer mold.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:46 AM   #198

Washington
Quote:
I screwed hardboard on the outside matching the profile to give it shape. Then added either bondo or gelcoat (bondo is not the best for this as in bigger patches it can crack after a while). Then I added a layer of fiberglass on the inside. Let it dry, then another and so on. I didn't use a form on the inside, as the fiberglass took the shape of the outer mold.
Sounds good, thanks.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:32 AM   #199

Alberta
A little rain and wind yesterday wasn't enough to give me confidence, so I pulled out the hose. The product fixed it. It was a leak that only appeared with heavy storms.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:03 PM   #200

Washington
Quote:
A little rain and wind yesterday wasn't enough to give me confidence, so I pulled out the hose. The product fixed it. It was a leak that only appeared with heavy storms.
I think I missed you mentioning where this leak was. Was it around the front window?

Tags
boler