1978 Boler Complete Restoration / Rebuild - Page 13 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #169
Senior Member
 
slavandheather's Avatar
 
Name: Slavomir
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Washington
Posts: 266
Painting with Spray Gun - Help Needed

We are approaching the day of painting the outside of our Boler and I have a few questions about painting with a spray gun. Originally I thought of doing the roll and tip method, but thinking further about doing 2-3 coats of primer and 2-3 coats of paint, this sounds like a tremendous amount of work I would prefer to spare myself from.

So, considering there is a budget involved, I'm wondering how feasible spray painting is with the supplies available from Harbor Freight.

Discussing some of the options with my friend GMikeA, we thought that a low pressure spray gun, like this one, pictured below, could do the job:

Click image for larger version

Name:	SprayGun.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	63886

Due to the lower pressure requirement, I understand that this would allow me to use a smaller compressor, such as this one:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Compressor.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	63885

I would greatly appreciate thoughts on all this, especially from those of you who have spray painted with your own equipment. THANKS!!!

Slav
__________________

__________________
1978 Boler - work in progress...
slavandheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #170
Senior Member
 
Luis's Avatar
 
Name: Luis
Trailer: Boler 1300 79'
Alberta
Posts: 101
Registry
compressor failure

hello Slav, your floor is a work of art, period.

I have done some good progress on my reno as of late, need to catch up and post pics, but one thing that happened, with a very similar complressor to the one you posted, is that I forgot to check for oil levels and kaput! the thing seized / broke on me last week....

word of caution! check the oil.

AS for paiting the outside, as with every surface treatment, the final quality is determined by the surface prep.

Take your time with FG and bondo repairs, apply succesive higher grit numbers, and lots of sanding, only when you are really happy, begin with layers of primer and eventually paint. Lots of work you say!?

Well its not like you are shying away from putting a nice effort here. Keep it up!
Nice job.
Luis
__________________

__________________
Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #171
Senior Member
 
slavandheather's Avatar
 
Name: Slavomir
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Washington
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis View Post
hello Slav, your floor is a work of art, period.

I have done some good progress on my reno as of late, need to catch up and post pics, but one thing that happened, with a very similar complressor to the one you posted, is that I forgot to check for oil levels and kaput! the thing seized / broke on me last week....

word of caution! check the oil.

AS for paiting the outside, as with every surface treatment, the final quality is determined by the surface prep.

Take your time with FG and bondo repairs, apply succesive higher grit numbers, and lots of sanding, only when you are really happy, begin with layers of primer and eventually paint. Lots of work you say!?

Well its not like you are shying away from putting a nice effort here. Keep it up!
Nice job.
Luis
Hi Luis!

Thanks for the kind words on my floor! Really appreciate it. And thanks for the tip on the compressor...bummer yours burned out.

Been wondering how your rig has been progressing and really looking forward to seeing the updates. Seeing others make progress is inspiring.

Definitely not shying away from the work, and really enjoying it too, but if something can take less time that's always a big bonus!

Slav
__________________
1978 Boler - work in progress...
slavandheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #172
Senior Member
 
Kenny Strong's Avatar
 
Name: kenny
Trailer: Bigfoot 13'
Utah
Posts: 250
A coat of primer, and sanding to a good looking surface, where you sand thru, it is ok just shoot those areas again, and sand them to match the rest. 2 coats should be fine sanding down to smooth and clear all runs. If you haven't sprayed before you could be very disappointed. If you buy the compressor and you think it will carry the load, you may be sadly wrong. low pressure or not. if you are a beginner, a couple of finish coats sanded, runs. make it the same all over, no rough spots. finish with a clear coat. Get a rock guard that hooks to the receiver hitch, ( can buy one at camper world it will be to long cut it to size and hook it on with carriage bolts around the hitch 2x2. support will be needed a piece of 1" and a 1/4er aluminum L angle to hold it all together, more info if needed) it can be taken off with the insert. It needs to 2 inches off the ground so that rocks are not flipped up by the dragging shield.

Later Kenny
__________________
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #173
Senior Member
 
slavandheather's Avatar
 
Name: Slavomir
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Washington
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Strong View Post
A coat of primer, and sanding to a good looking surface, where you sand thru, it is ok just shoot those areas again, and sand them to match the rest. 2 coats should be fine sanding down to smooth and clear all runs. If you haven't sprayed before you could be very disappointed. If you buy the compressor and you think it will carry the load, you may be sadly wrong. low pressure or not. if you are a beginner, a couple of finish coats sanded, runs. make it the same all over, no rough spots. finish with a clear coat. Get a rock guard that hooks to the receiver hitch, ( can buy one at camper world it will be to long cut it to size and hook it on with carriage bolts around the hitch 2x2. support will be needed a piece of 1" and a 1/4er aluminum L angle to hold it all together, more info if needed) it can be taken off with the insert. It needs to 2 inches off the ground so that rocks are not flipped up by the dragging shield.

Later Kenny
Thanks Kenny. I think I'm back to doing it by hand with roll and tip. I think it will work just fine. Still have a bunch of body work to finalize though.
Slav
__________________
1978 Boler - work in progress...
slavandheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #174
Senior Member
 
slavandheather's Avatar
 
Name: Slavomir
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Washington
Posts: 266
Floor - Done!

Finally put the last touches to the subfloor. The area immediately to the left of the entrance was my last problem spot and I got it all taken care of. Made a template first using copper wire to get the curve, then cut out cardboard and fine tuned it, and finally transferred that to the board.

Here are the pics. It feels good that this part is complete...been a long road!

Click image for larger version

Name:	046-FloorFinal1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	64065

Click image for larger version

Name:	047-FloorFinal2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	64066

Click image for larger version

Name:	048-FloorFinal3.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	64067

Click image for larger version

Name:	049-FloorFinal4.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	64068

I've tightened the 6 bolts holding the egg to the frame and used Black Jack liquid tar in a tube to seal up around the bolt tabs to prevent water from wicking up the bolts, hopefully. Still will need to coat the bolts with something after everything else is done...someday!
__________________
1978 Boler - work in progress...
slavandheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:49 AM   #175
Senior Member
 
ShawnKK's Avatar
 
Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Posts: 368
I had luck with a electric paint sprayer. I used both and had luck with both. You heard of people doing the plastic dip to cars and they use the ele sprayer.
Since you like HF like me ck this one out


Link for HF sprayer, remember the 20% off coupon!
http://www.harborfreight.com/high-vo...kit-44677.html
__________________
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #176
Senior Member
 
slavandheather's Avatar
 
Name: Slavomir
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Washington
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKK View Post
I had luck with a electric paint sprayer. I used both and had luck with both. You heard of people doing the plastic dip to cars and they use the ele sprayer.
Since you like HF like me ck this one out


Link for HF sprayer, remember the 20% off coupon!
High Volume, Low Pressure Spray Gun Kit
Shawn, thanks for the tips here. I'm leaning toward roll & tip again, but not quite at the point of painting yet.
Slav
__________________
1978 Boler - work in progress...
slavandheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #177
Senior Member
 
slavandheather's Avatar
 
Name: Slavomir
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Washington
Posts: 266
One Year Later...

As we begin autumn with heavy rain in the Seattle area as I write this, yesterday was the one year anniversary of purchasing our 1978 Boler. And we had the most gorgeous weather, so it was time to bring the rig outside for the first time since last September to strip the inside walls of residual rough spots and remnants of the 35 year old ensolite insulation.

So far, we have completed quite a few things:

  • New frame, axle, wheels, tires
  • Fixed all fiberglass underneath and on the floor
  • Coated the underside with Herculiner to prevent rock damage
  • Patched a few old big vent openings that we won't need
  • Got a new floor installed and coated with epoxy paint
  • Bolted the body to the frame
  • Removed a pound of rivets
  • And now have clean interior walls
Some near future plans include:

  • Exterior body work, including modifying side window openings
  • Designing interior cabinetry
  • Flush-mounting tail light "cups"
  • Plumbing and electrical
  • Working on the door, which is a mess and splitting in several spots
  • More body work and hopefully priming the outside before 2014!
Somehow I thought I was superman and the whole thing would be done w/in 6-8 months! Hopefully it will be by next camping season!

So some pics from yesterday's work. Note that the rig is sitting on old rims and just barely came out of the garage. Once the vent is installed, we may have a problem unless I can get smaller rims...camping in the garage is not the goal here!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1yr_001-Outside.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	64810

Before rolling her out I spent some time removing the old rotten "shelf" under the front window and drilling out the old hinges. Those were a pain because the bolts were seized up and I ended up dulling or breaking 4 drill bits.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1yr_003-Shelf.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	342.2 KB
ID:	64812

Click image for larger version

Name:	1yr_002-Hinge.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	64811

For stripping the inside walls my good friend GMike A recommended a Gator Paint & Rust Remover wheel for my grinder. It worked awesome! Thanks Mike!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1yr_004-GatorWheel.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	283.9 KB
ID:	64813

Testing the wheel before I dive into it:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1yr_005-TestingGatorWheel.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	296.2 KB
ID:	64814

Suited up and ready to get to it. Believe me, the respirator, goggles and gloves were needed as this stuff was squirtin' everywhere!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1yr_006-Ready.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	64815

A good three hours of work including wiping stuff down with acetone after the mess. Looks pretty good now, is smooth and will be ready for the next steps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1yr_008-Inside.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	356.9 KB
ID:	64817

Not much remains of the Gator wheel:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1yr_007-GatorWheelAfter.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	64816



__________________
1978 Boler - work in progress...
slavandheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #178
Senior Member
 
Name: Chris
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Posts: 291
I painted my trailer this year, first time with a spray gun and it is the way to go, only regret, any flaws in the final paint I could see in the primer stage. Take your time with the paint prep, then primer, then look to see if anything needs to be touched up, get it perfect here before painting.

I have the same issue with the garage door hitting the vent. I found if I take he door off the opener I can get more height, and then I let air out of the tires until I get the necessary clearance. I haven't yet bought the attachment for the compressor to fill the tires back up, so for now I use a bike pump.

Love the work you have been doing, looks great!
__________________
Nelmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #179
Senior Member
 
slavandheather's Avatar
 
Name: Slavomir
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Washington
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelmes View Post
I painted my trailer this year, first time with a spray gun and it is the way to go, only regret, any flaws in the final paint I could see in the primer stage. Take your time with the paint prep, then primer, then look to see if anything needs to be touched up, get it perfect here before painting.

I have the same issue with the garage door hitting the vent. I found if I take he door off the opener I can get more height, and then I let air out of the tires until I get the necessary clearance. I haven't yet bought the attachment for the compressor to fill the tires back up, so for now I use a bike pump.

Love the work you have been doing, looks great!
Thanks Chris! I also take the garage door off the opener and the rig is on bare rims. I will have to see if I can get smaller rims once the vent is installed.

Good tip on the primer step. Seems like the place to make things perfect before painting.

The work you've done on your Boler is truly amazing indeed.

Cheers,
Slav
__________________
1978 Boler - work in progress...
slavandheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #180
Senior Member
 
Spanke's Avatar
 
Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Posts: 382
Registry
Slav

Not sure what type of paint you are going to use.

A word a caution, if you are using Interlux Brightsides, they do not recommend using as HVLP sprayer to apply the paint. Use a regular sprayer or Roll & Tip.

He's a link to the Interlux forum that will provide a wealth of information on their paint. Topsides - Yachtpaintforum.com - Page 1

Can't wait to see your results.

I'm in the middle of fiberglass repair and hope to be able to get mine painted before it gets too cold. Gonna Roll & Tip!

Spanke
__________________
Trilliums Rock!
Spanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #181
Senior Member
 
Name: Chris
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Posts: 291
Thanks. Paint was my favorite step, it went from looking like a beater to looking new instantly
__________________
Nelmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:27 AM   #182
Senior Member
 
GMike A's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Posts: 685
Really starting to get there Slav. Lots of good info. Cooler weather heading my way now and time to roll up my sleeves and get back to work.
Mike
__________________

__________________
Mike
K5NAN
"Miss Adventures"
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
boler


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The 1972 Boler Rebuild bomni Modifications, Alterations and Updates 9 10-12-2013 11:13 PM
1978 Trillium 4500 restoration ... freddo411 Modifications, Alterations and Updates 64 10-10-2013 05:58 PM
Newbie rebuild 74 Boler -13 Firesurfer30 Hi, I am.... 1 06-13-2012 07:43 PM
1974 Boler Rebuild KyleRuppel Modifications, Alterations and Updates 33 06-04-2012 10:17 AM
Complete Newbies - Just got our 75 13 Foot Boler TODAY!!!! MelFrank Hi, I am.... 4 05-20-2011 08:26 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.