1978 Boler Complete Restoration / Rebuild - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #15

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavandheather View Post
It is nice to know a little more about our rig. We didn't inherit a manual, so beyond the peeling sticker (which is now gone but was photographed so it can be recreated), not much info.
In the FiberglassRV Document Center there is a category for Trailer Manufacturers, with a sub-category for Boler. In that Boler category there is a scan of my 1979 manual (which applies to all models); this is likely the closest to the original manual for a 1978 Calgary-built Boler. There are also brochures; I don't know if the 1978 brochure is from Calgary or Ontario, but it seems like the best match to our Bolers.

The other categories of the Document Center contain manuals for equipment, including some of the stuff (kitchen range, water pump, furnace, refrigerator...) in my Boler, and perhaps in a 1978 B1300 as well.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:18 PM   #16

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Welcome! Congrats! Glad you joined us, have fun re-building it. I know it's hard work, but in the end it will be so worth your efforts! Get'er done so you guys can be out camping next spring!

Old 12-20-2012, 11:56 PM   #17

Name: Slavomir
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
In the FiberglassRV Document Center there is a category for Trailer Manufacturers, with a sub-category for Boler. In that Boler category there is a scan of my 1979 manual (which applies to all models); this is likely the closest to the original manual for a 1978 Calgary-built Boler. There are also brochures; I don't know if the 1978 brochure is from Calgary or Ontario, but it seems like the best match to our Bolers.

The other categories of the Document Center contain manuals for equipment, including some of the stuff (kitchen range, water pump, furnace, refrigerator...) in my Boler, and perhaps in a 1978 B1300 as well.

Brian, thanks again, I will check those out!
Old 12-20-2012, 11:58 PM   #18

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
Welcome! Congrats! Glad you joined us, have fun re-building it. I know it's hard work, but in the end it will be so worth your efforts! Get'er done so you guys can be out camping next spring!
Robin, thank you for the warm welcome! Indeed it is hard work, but we're totally excited and hope to get it going by next spring/summer! And we would love to meet others in the field who share the passion!
Old 12-21-2012, 04:18 PM   #19

Washington
New Axle

We knew the old axle needed replacing, so we got a Dexter #9 Torflex 2200lb capacity EZ-lube with magnetic brakes. Oh yeah, and with a 10 degree down angle. It should be a nice ride once installed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Axle-1.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	53693

Name:	Axle-2.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	53694
Old 12-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #20

Washington
Tires and Wheels

I'm glad we only had about 30 miles to drive home on the original tires. Even though the tread looked great, looking from the side I could see a serious crack all around the diameter where the tread belt could be ready to separate. They were also under-inflated, but putting more air in there could have been worse possibly.

But with the shot axle and crapped out tires we hoped the rig would fit through the garage door. Close...we had to still rip out the original roof vent cover to get that extra inch of clearance.

After much thought and a few questions to other members on the forum, we decided to stick to the original 13" wheel size. I had hoped to go with at least 14" wheels but didn't want to cause extra trouble for myself with refiguring things. Maybe on the second restoration project!

Here is a shot of the new wheels (we got three of them) and new tires. Got the wheels from the great people at Rick's Tire & Wheel in Idaho and tires (Carlisle ST175/80R13C1) from Discount Tire.

Name:	Wheels.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	53695
Old 01-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #21

Washington
What next?

Ok, things have been a bit quiet on our front, so here is a quick update on progress.

-After Christmas we finalized frame modification ideas/measurements and took the old frame with new axle and wheels to a welder to fabricate a completely new frame. It was a challenge finding a welder knowledgeable and willing to take on this project. The job should take a few weeks to complete.

-Windows: We decided that the best option (due to cost) for glass windows is from Scamp, so I plan to order those up in the next couple days. Our side window openings are 1.5" larger than what Scamp stocks, so it will require more fiberglass work, and of course the radius corners need to be built up as well. With an 18x24" window being $155 from Scamp as opposed to 18x25.5" from a Hehr distributor at $535 each! That's insane for some glass and aluminum, and makes the decision easy.

-The underside of our Boler is the same shiny (more shiny and unfaded!) surface as the rest of the outside, so after fixing some holes/cracks/thin sections with fiberglass I will rough up the surface and apply Herculiner for road rock resistance.

Will keep things updated once actual work gets done!
Old 01-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #22

Washington
Table and Cushion Questions

I have a couple questions for you guys regarding the table and cushions in your trailers.

1) If you are using a pedestal table leg (see picture), are you finding this to be sturdy with ONE leg, or do these things get wobbly? I'm wondering if I should install two of these legs. How high is your table (floor to base of table)? I see Scamp uses 27" leg, but I wonder if this is too low and if 29" would do the trick better?

I was thinking of the Scamp hardware but we will be installing our water tank inside under the back window and that will create a seating area so our table won't be going to the wall, hence a pedestal is in order.

Name:	tablehardware.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	54323

2) How thick are your cushions? 3 or 4 or 5 inches? For sleeping I'm thinking of staying away from 3". Am hoping that 4" is sufficient, but is 5" just amazing for sitting and sleeping?

Thanks for the help guys! (I'm also going to post this in the general section so people who own other trailers can comment.)
Old 01-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #23
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Rather than screw ours down I made a base. This avoids holes in the floor, let's you slide it around to sit, and let's you take it up to gain floor space, in our case for the dog. It's not quite as stable as being fixed but good enough. As far as cushions, ours came with 4 inch which are fine for sitting. We add a 2" memory foam topper for sleeping. Raz
Attached Thumbnails
image-4017391412.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #24

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think the leg decision should be based upon your table size. I have had campers with one pedestal and a small table and one with 2 pedestals with a larger table. Not sure when the bigger size requirement is determined.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #25

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Rather than screw ours down I made a base. This avoids holes in the floor, let's you slide it around to sit, and let's you take it up to gain floor space, in our case for the dog. It's not quite as stable as being fixed but good enough. As far as cushions, ours came with 4 inch which are fine for sitting. We add a 2" memory foam topper for sleeping. Raz
Hi Raz, thanks for the info and pics. Looks like what you got going is a pretty nice idea and we'll definitely consider it! Our dog will sit in a different space, so we would be a bit less concerned about the "permanent" floor mounting.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #26

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I think the leg decision should be based upon your table size. I have had campers with one pedestal and a small table and one with 2 pedestals with a larger table. Not sure when the bigger size requirement is determined.

That's a good point, thanks. We have yet to determine the final dimensions of the table. We are extending the bedding area from the original by about 6-8 inches, so the table needs to extend as well.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #27

Washington
New Frame!

It took a bit of time (not that we were in a hurry, and well done work always takes a bit longer), but we now have the new frame! I have to say that the guys at Mann's Welding did an outstanding job on fabrication. If anyone in the greater Seattle area would like a new frame or modifications, these guys are truly masters and I'd take my business to them again.

After picking the frame up a week ago, Tim Mann (the owner) recommended Bull Dog Powder Coating. It was close so I drove straight there to get an estimate. The price was reasonable and I left the frame to receive two coats of black semi-shiny powder. Many colors and finishes are available, but I wanted the visible parts of the frame to go with the black in the wheels. And if there are ever any nicks that develop, it should be easier to touch up with paint. I must say it looks amazing and we're super happy with the whole outcome!

Here are a couple pics, and I'll talk more about some of the features/modifications in the next couple days.

Name:	Frame-new-1.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	54840

Name:	Frame-new-2.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	54841
Old 02-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #28

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
They did a great job building the new frame. You're going to have a whole new trailer when you're finished. You're doing yourself proud.

Tags
boler