1978 Boler Complete Restoration / Rebuild - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #41
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Good work on that frame, Slav.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #42

Name: Slavomir
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
Good work on that frame, Slav.
Robert, thank you. Your solid work has inspired me!
slavandheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:19 AM   #43

Washington
How to Fix this Cracked Egg Corner?

As I'm working on the underside of the body to get it ready to sit on the beautiful new frame, I'm scratching my head about a challenge that lies ahead.

One of the previous owners unfortunately rammed one of the top back corners into something, crushing it inward. The fix is pretty terrible with pieces of fiberglass poking out in places on the inside (I think the problem was left hidden by the old ensolite and not touched from the inside), and the outside is a mess with cracks and unevenness...with who knows what used to patch it.

My question is how to best fix this so it is structurally sound but also smooth and perfect, matching the other top corner. I know I'll have to sand it all down real good, tear out some of the crushed fiberglass on the inside, apply fiberglass mat and bondo. Does this sound about right?

And then how do I make the curves proper and not rippled like it is now, considering the corner curves in all directions? Just carefully sand?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance! Here are a couple pics of the mess.

The inside:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Crack-inside.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	379.1 KB
ID:	55107

And two from the outside:

Name:	Crack-outside1.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	275.4 KB
ID:	55108

Name:	Crack-outside2.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	325.1 KB
ID:	55109
Old 02-10-2013, 06:56 AM   #44

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You're on the right track for your repair. I read the description before I got to the pictures and expected something awful. This shouldn't be too bad to deal with.

I'm sure you're going to get all kinds of help. Check this out for something really bad. Read all six pages and you'll feel much better about your own repair: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...oof-47443.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #45

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
Slavomir,

What great work. We are currently working on our own little guy, I'm impressed with all that you have done.

IMHO, and from my struggles with OCD and perfectionist tendencies, you may want to reconsider perfection in that corner. It may not have been perfectly symmetrical when it came from the factory. I am def. not one of those "good enough" people, but I have become keenly aware that part of the beauty of these little gems is that they are rather organic in their shape. That is to say, no straight lines to speak of.

From the work that you have already done it looks like you have a good eye and you will likely achieve a nice result using a tape measure, straight edge, cardboard, and your own good senses to get that corner done.

I would remove any fiberglass that is broken and or damaged. You might do this a little at a time from the inside, so as not to lose the corner that exists. in other words, cut out a section that is bad then replace it from the inside, then the next section until you have removed all of the damaged fiberglass.

Then build it up for support from the inside so that you have a good base to work on from the outside.

You can then use a piece of cardboard and trim it to the shape of the curve that you wish to duplicate. marking top and bottom. use that as your guide. you can make more than one cardboard template (top to bottom, side to side) and even do angles to guide you as you build up the outside curve.

To help make the template (i saw this somewhere but can't find the link), cut a curve that is close, not exact in the cardboard, and have someone hold it steady in place. tape cardboard (tabs) from the camper to the template to build the proper curve. Then draw and cut new template using the modified piece as your guide. I would mark the location , top and bottom, of the corner from where the template was taken, and then make corresponding marks at the location where the template will be used. You can use your measuring devices to help you mark the locations.

Example, distance from the window edge, distance from the bottom of the shell (or ground if it is level) etc.

Best of luck. Can't wait to see more pics and updates.
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #46
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
No problem, Slav... Do everything just as you have mentioned in your post. Sand really well, inside and out, and then make your FG repairs. Lay a couple layers of matte, making the second overlapping layer about 6-8 inches larger (both directions) than the first. When dry and hard, knock it back as necessary to smooth out any roughness. Your insulation and wall covering (and upper cabinet?) will hide any imperfections.

If the exterior damage isn't too bad (and I couldn't see much) just do what the professional car painters would do — prep with FG filler (or Bondo), then prime and paint.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #47

Washington
Donna, Cat, Robert,

Thank you so much for the good word on getting that corner fixed. Wow, Donna, the fix of the collapsed Scamp is quite a job and well done...my problem is nothing in comparison! I'll have a look at that in detail.

Cat, I'm definitely a perfectionist...but not as bad as I used to be! I definitely want it to look great when done. You do have a point about these being somewhat organic and perfection is perhaps not quite possible.

Robert, yes, not too worried about the inside as it will be covered by Reflectix, fabric and a cabinet. Hard to see real well on the 2D pic, but the surface is uneven and rough. But I am less afraid of tackling it now!

Thanks again, everyone!

Slav
Old 02-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #48

Washington
Cutting fiberglass?

What techniques/tools do you guys use to make cuts in the fiberglass? I've read a bunch here on the forum and general Google searches and it seems there are as many ways as varieties of wine!

What I've gathered is people use: Dremel (with various attachments), jig-saw, zip cutters. Seems like a lot of opinions on blades too. Use masking/painter's tape to minimize splinters, and use lots of protective gear because a mess will be made. Sounds like you really can't use a hand-saw for metal (for smaller cuts, less mess) because the glass is so hard.

I'll have to make various cuts, from small and precise, to curved, to new openings for windows once corners are built up, to panels for closing up old vent openings. And of course a few round holes for various ports (water, electrical, gas lines).

Your experiences with various tools and techniques would be much appreciated. I really don't want to reinvent the wheel and make a mess for myself. Thanks everyone!
Old 02-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #49

Trailer: Home Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavandheather View Post
What techniques/tools do you guys use to make cuts in the fiberglass? I've read a bunch here on the forum and general Google searches and it seems there are as many ways as varieties of wine!

What I've gathered is people use: Dremel (with various attachments), jig-saw, zip cutters. Seems like a lot of opinions on blades too. Use masking/painter's tape to minimize splinters, and use lots of protective gear because a mess will be made. Sounds like you really can't use a hand-saw for metal (for smaller cuts, less mess) because the glass is so hard.

I'll have to make various cuts, from small and precise, to curved, to new openings for windows once corners are built up, to panels for closing up old vent openings. And of course a few round holes for various ports (water, electrical, gas lines).

Your experiences with various tools and techniques would be much appreciated. I really don't want to reinvent the wheel and make a mess for myself. Thanks everyone!
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ass-52498.html
D White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #50

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
Slav,

I use a dremmel for some things but have found an oscilationg tool (like this one) Amazon.com: Porter-Cable PC250MTK 2.5-Amp Oscillating Multi-Tool Kit with 36 Accessories: Home Improvement to work great for fiberglass. Much less dust. We bought ours at Harbor Freight for $30.00.
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #51

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
I went to my local TapPlastics store and they had everything I needed to do the repairs and lots of knowledge and advice. I know they have them in WA too. But the best advice was to check out their webdsite. You may have all the materials, if so just go to their website. They have several how-to videos on making repairs just like yours. I purchased a little squeegee for $.50 that is very pliable and works in the curves really well to make sure you don't get the ripples you're concerned about. Good luck.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #52

Trailer:
Don't try to do without the best tool in the world (well, level-pegging with a Dremel, maybe) for fiberglass repairs, the angle grinder - or as a former wooden boatbuilder I used to work for called it, the 'electric spokeshave'.

But this, emphatically, does not use a grinding disc but a sanding pad/cup which takes sanding discs - something moderatly fine, like 60- or 80-grit, is called for. This is a powerful but delicate tool, so it is applied with the lightest touch and absolutely no force at all. It will for example, sand out the inside of an egg's corners which almost nothing else will do as well.

I've found that outside a work environment, the very cheapest angle grinder works just fine for years until eventually the fiberglass dust gets in the works, so under $30 should get you the cheapest 4.5" grinder and sanding pad/discs.

And I did put a new sanding disc in to take photos but drew the line at cleaning the grinder at all......
Attached Thumbnails
a-grind-1.jpg   a-grind-2.jpg  

Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #53

Washington
Awesome, thank you guys for the great suggestions! I'll take all these and put them to good work!
Old 02-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #54

Washington
Body & Frame Fit

Progress has been slow lately - just not much time/energy. But here is where we are. With the frame being new and good and straight, I knew there were going to be some potential issues with fit in a couple spots because of issues with the old frame and not perfect angles on the actual body.

We lowered the body onto the frame, and sure enough a couple problems developed that need body adjustments. Right now I'm addressing just the front tongue rail fit into the pre-formed original body grooves. The original frame was really tight here and I knew I'd have to make an adjustment.

Here is a pic of the problem areas once the body was lowered:

Name:	FrontFit1.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	55285

Since our Boler's body was molded with the floor as a single piece (no wood), the cutting is a bit screwy, involving several layers. I decided to first open up the areas by 1 inch on each side, but then changed my mind for about 0.75". Ended up using mostly a couple hand saws with fine tooth (for metal), and it was easy enough. But the angles near the floor pan needed a bit more work with a rasp to smooth out and a bit with a Dremel and a small cutting wheel.

Here it is from the outside with things opened up (note the rotted open FG damage on the left side of the opening):

Name:	FrontFit2.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	55286

And the inside to give you a glimpse of the original form-fitting mold:

Name:	FrontFit3.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	279.4 KB
ID:	55287

As a sideline, I ended up with some of the fine fiberglass powder generated by the Dremel in my eyes. My glasses and safety glasses were not enough and I'll need to get some goggles. I have some irritation but hoping it will work itself out.

I am using the 3M 6000 series respirator with the 2091 P100 filters when working with the fiberglass. For those of you with great experience, please let me know if this is sufficient. Thanks.

Name:   3MRespirator.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  47.1 KB
Old 02-20-2013, 12:53 AM   #55

Washington
More Frame & Body Fitting

Equipped with goggles to keep that fiberglass dust out of my eyes and a new multi-speed oscillating power tool for cutting, it's time to get back to work. With the body back on the frame, my hope was that one more adjustment and things will be good.

Body back up on cinder blocks. I'm beginning to feel like a monkey with extended arms from the 6 or 8 times we've lifted and lowered the egg.

The oscillating cutter worked very well and a panel was cut out on the right side just inside the entry. The frame now has the needed 1/4 inch breathing space. I will modify this panel and glass it back in to accommodate the extra space.

Name:	FrameFit.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	55355

For a better visual of what the problem was, the tight spot is circled on the frame in the below pic. I wish I could have foreseen this and had that frame support welded an inch over from current position. Oh well, a little extra work should get things ok. It might not be perfect, but should be functional in the end.

Name:	FrameFit2.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	55356

With the body lowered again, things look really good. One small cut needs to be made in the back, then I'll finally start work on the underneath...and then it will be lowered for hopefully the final time!
Old 02-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #56

Washington
New Boler Signs / Badges

Our Boler didn't come with the metal badges that so many of you guys have. All we had was a cheap plastic sign by the entry door. We will probably hold on to it and attach it to the inside of one of the cabinets once they are made, but I kind of wanted something on the outside.

My initial internet searches a couple months ago didn't produce anything, but this time around I found a company in California that does lettering and badges for cars - the same kind you find on modern cars.

I went ahead and ordered up two sets of BOLER letters (only caps available) and they came in today. I'm very happy with the look. These are the 1" italic style letters. I'm planning on putting a set to the left of the entrance door and one in the back-left, below the window.

Name:	Boler1.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	268.8 KB
ID:	55408

For any of you interested in this "modern" and clean option, check out Chrome Car Letters here. Oh, and I should mention that with delivery the two sets were a very reasonable $25!

Here is a pic of the original that came with our rig:

Name:	Boler2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	55409
Old 02-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #57

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Really like the Boler letters and a great price.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #58

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Slav

have you started to fix the areas where you have cut out the body for the frame? If you haven't, I was thinking that if you cut some foam, to the same shape, cover with cellophane, (I don't know if the resin will eat the foam), put it in place cover it, leave it in place. This could be altogether obvious!

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #59

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Strong View Post
Slav

have you started to fix the areas where you have cut out the body for the frame? If you haven't, I was thinking that if you cut some foam, to the same shape, cover with cellophane, (I don't know if the resin will eat the foam), put it in place cover it, leave it in place. This could be altogether obvious!

Later Kenny
Hey Kenny,

Haven't started yet, but want to start this weekend. I like the idea of the foam. I was wondering what the best way would be to cover up the cut-outs. I was thinking of sanding the area around and then just put resin saturated mat over the openings, then smooth it out with Bondo. From the inside, I would build up the mat with resin to match the thickness of the body.

Slav
Old 02-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #60

Washington
What Bolt Size to Use for Carriage to Frame Attachment?

The attachment points (6) we have on the frame are pre-drilled with 3/8" openings. Is this bolt thickness sufficient or should I enlarge them to take 1/2" bolts, at least for the four major anchor points?

Would appreciate comments on this. Thanks!

Tags
boler