1979 Acorn - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2018, 10:34 AM   #1

Name: Rob
Trailer: 1975 Triple E Surfside
Alberta
Registry
1979 Acorn

Yes.. my second egg project.. this time it's an Acorn.. but that's just a made in the US Boler.. Have I got my work cut out this time.. it will be the usual frame off resto.. but this one is missing (yes missing) the floor! At least I don't have to sand pool paint off.. the body is in good condition.. If you check out my blog post for this project you can follow me on an adventure on problem solving.. and the work to make an old trailer new again.
1979 Acorn Trailer Restore Page 1 | Rob's Workshop
Old 11-09-2018, 11:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeye View Post
Yes.. my second egg project.. this time it's an Acorn.. but that's just a made in the US Boler.. Have I got my work cut out this time.. it will be the usual frame off resto.. but this one is missing (yes missing) the floor! At least I don't have to sand pool paint off.. the body is in good condition.. If you check out my blog post for this project you can follow me on an adventure on problem solving.. and the work to make an old trailer new again.
1979 Acorn Trailer Restore Page 1 | Rob's Workshop
Actually it is a made in Backus SCAMP. In late 1978 through 1979 Scamp was forced to change their name during litigation. They won and returned to the Scamp name.

I doubt they could supply the lettering, but it would be cool to preserve the Acorn name if possible or practical. The stripe might be the same though.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:22 PM   #3

Alberta
Registry
I do plan on keeping the name.. but not so big ..
Old 11-11-2018, 07:33 AM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Great, I love build threads and there are not a lot of them to see at this time of year. Looking forward to following your progress.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:37 AM   #5

Alberta
Registry
Thanks.. I now realize that I'd already started a thread for this little trailer.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...egg-85376.html

But that's ok.. I'll put some highlights in here.. but My detailed story about the restoration will be on my web site. Link in my signature. I have a heated shop and these little trailers fit quite nicely.. there's always so much more to do in the warmer weather.. So winter is my big project time.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:54 PM   #6

Alberta
Registry
Ok the frame has been cleansed of all the bad metal.. And the axle removed so I can remount it better and give the trailer a much needed lift.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181111_103153.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	342.5 KB
ID:	126064
Old 11-13-2018, 12:17 PM   #7

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Rob, based on the picture it looks like you need a new axle. The arms appear to be pointing up when at most they should be perfectly horizontal. Double-check the arm angle to be sure.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:28 PM   #8

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
Rob, based on the picture it looks like you need a new axle. The arms appear to be pointing up when at most they should be perfectly horizontal. Double-check the arm angle to be sure.

I think that the axle has been placed there temporarily, since that is the top of the frame, on the bumper.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:08 PM   #9

Alberta
Registry
Ya it's turned 90 deg.. The axle is good.. but the hubs are four bolt.. I want to use the 5 on 4.5 13 " rims I have and I have new torsion axles with those hubs..

Name:	20181113_130616.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	316.9 KB
ID:	126080
Here you can see I've added more framing to the rear. This helps support the floor under the table.. and will add support to the main frame at the rear where they always seem to bend a little.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:38 PM   #10

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Rob, in the picture on your blog, the arm with the spindle is angled up towards the frame. That is an indication that the axle is no good. The arm should at the very least be parallel to the frame or pointing downward slightly. Here is a picture from your blog showing the axle mounted to the frame:

Name:	20181109_162018.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	126099
A 40 year old Torflex axle would need to be replaced. The rubber in the tube will have hardened. Do a search on the forums about this and you will find all kind of information.

I apologize for taking your photo and putting it here but I am trying to help.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:40 AM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
Rob, in the picture on your blog, the arm with the spindle is angled up towards the frame. That is an indication that the axle is no good. The arm should at the very least be parallel to the frame or pointing downward slightly. Here is a picture from your blog showing the axle mounted to the frame:
Attachment 126099
A 40 year old Torflex axle would need to be replaced. The rubber in the tube will have hardened. Do a search on the forums about this and you will find all kind of information.

I apologize for taking your photo and putting it here but I am trying to help.
If it is a 13, the initial set of the axle would have beeen 22° UP with another degree or two after break in.
Her's what it would have looked like when new (except the name).
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp brochure.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:22 AM   #12

Alberta
Registry
Hmm. The tag is clearly readable on the factory axle. It's a 1200 lb 10 deg Dura Flex. These torsion axles can be used trailing down and rear.. or forward and up. They are either 10 deg or 22.5 deg. NEVER flat. These trailers come from the factory with the arm forward and up 10 deg. This way the cross frame of the axle is tucked behind the lower floor. I have decided not to reuse the old axle.. I have new 2000 lb 22.5 deg. Rockwell axles.. yes two.. a right and a left. They come this way so you can determine your own width. I used these on the Boler frame l built from scratch last year. It does give the trailer a 2.5 " lift. That has worked out be be a benefit. First the hitch height is 14 " which means nothing drags on the ground. Less damage to the underside. And the bumper doesn't hit.

Name:	20181114_075413.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	126124
Old axle tag
Old 11-17-2018, 12:51 PM   #13

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Axles

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but since axles are being discussed I thought I would inquire of the members expertise.

I have a 1975 Scamp, 13 foot, and my axle sits at zero angle. I have no idea if it's ever been replaced.

If I jack up the frame I don't see any wheel drop. I was sure I had a dead axle, but my expertise is automotive, not trailers.

I took it to a trailer specialty repair shop that sells Dexter axles. The guy there checked it out, jacking up each side and checking for movement. He said my axle was good, and movement isn't expected on a good axle. If it were bad, he said it would flop up and down. He could have easily sold me an axle, but didn't.

With a car you see movement when the weight of the vehicle loads the springs. Maybe the Scamp isn't heavy enough to load the torsion axle and see movement, or maybe the tech is correct and I'm just paranoid.

I appreciate any thoughts members of the forum may have.

Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 03:03 PM   #14

Alberta
Registry
Zero... that's interesting.. they are usually 10 deg up.. which isn't much.. It's good that there is no play.. but I would get under there with someone in the trailer and they can try to bounce it.. It should move.. just a bit.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:22 PM   #15

Alberta
Registry
Here's my frame work so far.. I know the axle set up looks strange... but that's how I need to build it with those axles.. Where I live I can not get the proper dexter axle.. I wish.. but nope.. And too heavy to ship..

Name:	20181117_122611.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	367.5 KB
ID:	126172
Almost done..
Old 11-17-2018, 05:56 PM   #16

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Zero... that's interesting.. they are usually 10 deg up.. which isn't much.. It's good that there is no play.. but I would get under there with someone in the trailer and they can try to bounce it.. It should move.. just a bit.
Thanks, I'll have to try that, and actually measure the angle. I just eyeballed it.
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:23 PM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
...These torsion axles can be used trailing down and rear.. or forward and up. They are either 10 deg or 22.5 deg. NEVER flat. These trailers come from the factory with the arm forward and up 10 deg...
Dexter product specs here indicate rubber torsion axles are available in start angles from 45* down to 22.5* up, including 0* (see p. 2). They are all intended for trailing arm installation. Scamp has used a 22.5* up axle in trailing configuration for many years.

Leading arm installation is a non-standard application. It does necessitate some limitations on the arm angle to prevent "crow hopping" under braking. I'm not sure, but I think old Scamps and Bolers with the leading arm axles were either 0* or 10* down, not up. The tube is higher in this configuration because it is located under the raised dinette floor.

Lots of good information in this thread: Leading Vs. Trailing Arm
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:20 AM   #18

Alberta
Registry
Lots of opinions on axles and they're configurations. Both my 73 Boler and now the 79 Scamp / Acorn had the same axle configuration. 10 degree up forward.. axle tucked behind the lower floor. The trailer sits very low this way. But that was intentional .. that's why they tow nice and stable. And the hot rod guys love the look. A 2 inch lift would not change that. But helps keeping frame from making ground contact. So that's what I like... My Boler (with 2 inch lift) made an over 3000 mile trek to the Yukon then to southern BC and back home to Edmonton. Pulled by a 2006 Rav4 no brakes.. no problems.. Keep it simple.. Keep it close to factory, but make it like new. I don't understand how some do a trailing down axle ? when I think of that it adds 6 - 7 inches of lift because now your placing the axle under the lower floor.

Name:	Boler axles.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	126204
Old 11-18-2018, 11:34 AM   #19

Alberta
Registry
Here's a photo that shows clearly the small lift I gained. The old axle is just sitting on the main frame behind the new one. You can see the difference in the angles too.

Name:	20181118_092438.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	334.1 KB
ID:	126205
Old 11-28-2018, 01:50 PM   #20

Alberta
Registry
The frame is all done... new tires on the proper rims.. and the height is prefect. 15 " hitch height. 8 .5 " of under trailer clearance. and a 10" step up to enter the trailer.

Name:	20181128_111004.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	401.7 KB
ID:	126499