1980 Boler Remodel (Going GREEN!) - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-15-2013, 02:12 PM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: Boler
Michigan
1980 Boler Remodel (Going GREEN!)

Hi, I'm fairly new here, but I'm trying to get my hands nice and dirty!

I bought a 1980 Boler 1300 Voyageur from a colleague of mine for $4K. Everything worked in it, its in good shape and needed no major work besides cleaning and some TLC. I used it for a couple of weeks before I grew tired o' the smell of Ensolite in the hot sun, and looking at the gaucho bunks I was probably never going to use, so...

I started gutting the Boler and began to see where some neglect and oversight had taken place. Some rivets had been leaking for a good long time. A mysterious substance had been spilled in a cabinet and was VERY difficult to get to to clean up, and I started to realize that I had little use for a propane powered fridge and furnace.

I have so far pulled down all the Ensolite and fiber-wheeled almost all of the foam and glue from the shell. This was of course after removing all of the fiberglass minus the closet and the countertop with appliances. More on that later.

I am going to pick up some Reflectix and hopefully order some Hulliner today from perfectfit.com because the local boat supplier in my town seems to be fairly inefficient (they could even give me a price quote of 20 linear yards of material even after I patiently waited for half an hour). I'm leaning towards the "Oyster" color, but I am open to other suggestions. I just don't think "Ivory" is my thing...

I am in need of some advice in a few categories so far:

1. What is the best way to remove the furnace and fridge so that I can sell them to someone to reuse? I.E. not cut the lines and just pull them out? The furnace looks fairly easy to remove, the fridge, not so easy.

2. What have people been using to adhere the Reflectix to the shell? The videos I have seen of people putting up Hulliner online in boats have them using 3M spray on adhesive, and I'm leaning towards using that stuff. My dad suggested "Liquid Nails," but after the trouble I went to removing the Ensolite, Liquid Nails is the furthest thing from my mind.

I hope to accomplish the following things with my remodel:

1. Re-insulate and put up Hulliner on the walls for a clean, fresh look inside.
2. Build some new cabinetry and turn the gaucho beds into a dinette for my lady and I to eat and read at.
3. Use LED lighting.
4. Solar panel on top, or perhaps detachable, haven't gotten that far in my thinking yet.
5. "SARDINE" wood stove from Navigator Stove Works. I love the ambiance and heat provided by the wood stove, free fuel and ease of operation. This will be another tricky installation because I want to be a stickler about safety, but I am confidant it can be done.
6. Retain the "old school" look of the camper from outside.

Eventually I will replace the windows (flip out and back slider) for functionality and appearance, but the ones that are in there now work well enough.

More later. Please enjoy the pictures and provide any and all feedback you desire!
Attached Thumbnails
image-174764783.jpg   image-3231317023.jpg  

image-4286731657.jpg   image-1850734790.jpg  

image-512278267.jpg   image-2025601943.jpg  

image-3723013108.jpg   image-3073296525.jpg  

image-1476361587.jpg   image-2930979424.jpg  

image-3705704499.jpg   image-4000956211.jpg  

image-2647010535.jpg   image-2042412972.jpg  

image-2457730733.jpg   image-1631663037.jpg  

image-2329830433.jpg   image-2485860065.jpg  

image-3436117710.jpg   image-3532091331.jpg  

image-3160586392.jpg   image-2146564624.jpg  

image-1019308405.jpg  

Old 07-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbloom View Post
Hi, I'm fairly new here, but I'm trying to get my hands nice and dirty!

I bought a 1980 Boler 1300 Voyageur from a colleague of mine for $4K. Everything worked in it, its in good shape and needed no major work besides cleaning and some TLC. I used it for a couple of weeks before I grew tired o' the smell of Ensolite in the hot sun, and looking at the gaucho bunks I was probably never going to use, so...

I started gutting the Boler and began to see where some neglect and oversight had taken place. Some rivets had been leaking for a good long time. A mysterious substance had been spilled in a cabinet and was VERY difficult to get to to clean up, and I started to realize that I had little use for a propane powered fridge and furnace.

I have so far pulled down all the Ensolite and fiber-wheeled almost all of the foam and glue from the shell. This was of course after removing all of the fiberglass minus the closet and the countertop with appliances. More on that later.

I am going to pick up some Reflectix and hopefully order some Hulliner today from perfectfit.com because the local boat supplier in my town seems to be fairly inefficient (they could even give me a price quote of 20 linear yards of material even after I patiently waited for half an hour). I'm leaning towards the "Oyster" color, but I am open to other suggestions. I just don't think "Ivory" is my thing...

I am in need of some advice in a few categories so far:

1. What is the best way to remove the furnace and fridge so that I can sell them to someone to reuse? I.E. not cut the lines and just pull them out? The furnace looks fairly easy to remove, the fridge, not so easy.

2. What have people been using to adhere the Reflectix to the shell? The videos I have seen of people putting up Hulliner online in boats have them using 3M spray on adhesive, and I'm leaning towards using that stuff. My dad suggested "Liquid Nails," but after the trouble I went to removing the Ensolite, Liquid Nails is the furthest thing from my mind.

I hope to accomplish the following things with my remodel:

1. Re-insulate and put up Hulliner on the walls for a clean, fresh look inside.
2. Build some new cabinetry and turn the gaucho beds into a dinette for my lady and I to eat and read at.
3. Use LED lighting.
4. Solar panel on top, or perhaps detachable, haven't gotten that far in my thinking yet.
5. "SARDINE" wood stove from Navigator Stove Works. I love the ambiance and heat provided by the wood stove, free fuel and ease of operation. This will be another tricky installation because I want to be a stickler about safety, but I am confidant it can be done.
6. Retain the "old school" look of the camper from outside.

Eventually I will replace the windows (flip out and back slider) for functionality and appearance, but the ones that are in there now work well enough.

More later. Please enjoy the pictures and provide any and all feedback you desire!
Welcome to the Site,

If that's a Dometic RM 211 refrigerator I'd be willing to purchase it from you!

Send me a PM

Spanke

Old 07-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #3

Name: Chris
Trailer: Boler
Michigan
Here's from Andrew at Navigator Stove Works on whether or not the Sardine is the stove for the project:

C,

I'd maybe use a Tiny Tot?

One of our SARDINES would be PLENTY of stove if you have the space and want a true cook surface to use.

Have seen many Bolgers running up and down the highways when I have been in Ontario Canada......

A

--
andrew moore
navigator stove works
509 double hill road
eastsound, washington
98245 USA
www.marinestove.com
360 566 2418
Pacific Time Zone

In that case...I'll look into the Tiny Tot.