1980 Trillium 4500 new source for cushion covers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2011, 07:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Talking 1980 Trillium 4500 new source for cushion covers

I wanted to spread the word about my new cushion covers for our 1980 Trillium 4500. We don’t have them yet, but the process was interesting so I thought I would share it.

When we bought the trailer last fall, the cushions had differing covers front and back. The back ones were original and the previous owner had made up covers for the front ones. We have a front dinette model, so that means 8 cushions in total, 4 each in front and rear.

I have been looking for a source for new covers. I saw the post on this forum where someone had gotten a lady in the eastern US who would sew them, but I didn’t want to cross the border sending fabric to her if possible. I was thinking of ordering Scamp cushions and then adjusting them to our needs, because we really liked the Scamp covers we bought for our previous Boler, but it would be a lot of work to do that. We thought of making them ourselves, which would mean buying a better sewing machine, but it seems to be a lot of work and we are not sewers. I called three upholstery shops in our area and got a quote for about $1400 from the one that responded, too much for us.

It finally occurred to me that the Trillium is being made again, both in Calgary and California. Outback does not make a 15 foot model, so I did not call them, but Trillium RV does. I spoke to Tom, the proprietor, but he said that the new Trillium 1500 has both a wider rear bed and a wider front bunk in the dinette model, so those cushions would not fit.

So, then it occurred to me to contact Escape in Chilliwack BC, who also make a 15 foot trailer with a front dinette layout that looks similar (but new) to the Trillium. Tammy from Escape told me that they get all their cushions custom made and they would order me a set if I wished. They only have one fabric pattern that they use for all their trailers, which can be seen on their website. Fortunately, my wife and I liked the pattern. So, I made up a diagram of my current cushions, with sizes and the rounded and cut-off corners, and sent it to her. They could either order me a complete set of cushions, or just the covers. We wanted just the covers, so I ordered them. The price was in line with Scamp prices, around $470 for 8 cushion covers. These cushions are bigger than the Scamp cushions for our old Boler. I can hardly wait to see them in a few weeks.

Tammy told me that they have just moved into their new manufacturing facility and hope to be able to offer more customer service items, and so she approved of me posting this information on the forum here. They would be able to help others get cushions made or re-covered as long as it does not get too demanding.

So, especially for those in Canada who don’t want to order such a large item across the border, an alternative is available. Since they are all custom made cushions, I don’t see why they couldn’t do other similar trailers like the Burro or Surfside (of course it is not up to me).
Rick G.
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium