1980? Trillium Jubilee Reno - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-21-2016, 05:19 PM   #15

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Quebec
Registry
Hey Jennifer, I think you're doing pretty good!

You might to take a look at my renovation thread:

Working on a Trillium 5500

My trailer is different from yours, but it's a Trillium of the same vintage, and the Jubilee and the 5500 probably share some construction designs, as they're the only Trilliums with wood interiors, and there might be things I've done in mine will be similar in yours.

In post #37, you will see where I found some of that open cell foam under the rear window along the belly band (there was some under the front window as well). That foam was loaded with yucky mold.

In my thread you will also see how the wood frame of the windows is also used the attach cabinets in the inside (post #43). This may explain that piece if wood you have above a window.

I also had to repair a small area of my floor, see post #56.

There is much more detailed information in my restoration blog:
Trillium5500
However it is in french, but I've put a Google Translate link on the right column. Translation is not perfect, but you'll get the point. If you need more info, just ask. This is all new for me too, so I don't know everything, but I'll try to help.
On my blog you will see how I've redone the inside of my fridge cabinet with reflectix.

For the gap between the cabinets and walls: There was a small gap like this on mine, but nothing some caulk couldn't seal. In mine at least, I'm pretty sure the partitions were designed to meet the outside wall. Now the Jubilee might be different, who knows. Hopefully some Jubilee owners here will be able to help.

Now for the floor, I'm guessing you were able to remove most of the rotten plywood. A nice power tool to have (if you don't already have one) that can be used to scrape the remaining wood fibers is an oscillating multi-tool. I've never done an extensive floor repair like you're doing, but I'm guessing the goal is to get a smooth underfloor where you'll be able to lay a new plywood. So I would cut those screw tips showing, and those big bolts will have to be removed as well. They hold the shell to the frame. On my trailer I had to replace one, it wasn't that hard to get out with the proper wrench (from under the trailer) or you can alway cut it off, then I hammer it out. Replacement bolts can be found at the hardware store (carriage bolts), and they will have to go through the new plywood floor (drill from under).

Old 08-21-2016, 05:31 PM   #16

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
Someone else suggested a while back that what looks reasonable when stationary can cause a grinding effect when in motion. We used all our old materials as templates, and every time we varied (much) we found out later WHY it had been made that way.

I'm assuming your scamp was made as intelligently as our amerigo...change things like wall sizes and placements only with at least one night of sleeping on it, preferably more. Consider outside the box, as it were. If the wall didn't touch the shell, maybe that's as it should be. But then again, maybe you can improve on designs made for quick commercial production. It'll be your call, of course.

It's an exhilarating mental challenge to piece one of these things back together--heck, we found just taking it apart to be a lot more engrossing than the best jigsaw puzzle we ever worked.

Good photos!

Old 08-21-2016, 05:39 PM   #17

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
Nova Scotia
Registry
@Carl - Thanks for the advice. I'll check out your thread/blog and let you know if I have any questions. My french is a little rusty, so I think I'll use that Google translate tool!

@Kai - The trailer is a trillium, not a scamp. All the furnishing are wooden, nothing molded in fiberglass. I'm not sure that *any* of the interior is original! I don't want to follow anything the previous renovator did as so much of it went wrong. Good point though about maybe leaving a little wiggle room!
Old 08-22-2016, 08:28 AM   #18

Name: Bee
PE
Registry
Jubilee

Hi jennydeans,

I'm in PEI, and I have a Jubilee too! I spent the spring of 2014 fixing her up. I call her JulieBee

During my Reno I got pictures from a couple other Jubilee owners, and had to make a few things up along the way. If i can help, let me know!

I'm attaching a photo of my boyfriend enjoying my camper, lol, looks like I only have pics of him with it!

Have fun!

Bee
Old 08-22-2016, 09:03 AM   #19

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennygdeans View Post
@Carl - Thanks for the advice. I'll check out your thread/blog and let you know if I have any questions. My french is a little rusty, so I think I'll use that Google translate tool!

@Kai - The trailer is a trillium, not a scamp. All the furnishing are wooden, nothing molded in fiberglass. I'm not sure that *any* of the interior is original! I don't want to follow anything the previous renovator did as so much of it went wrong. Good point though about maybe leaving a little wiggle room!

Oh, dear, of course a Trillium, and a Jubilee at that. I even remember noting that when I read the first post. My cortical node must have degraded. Will do a level 5 diagnostic stat.

So you're in the same "boat" as us, with a wooden interior. I like the wooden interior, myself. Paul patched over 80 fiberglass holes, everything from pinholes to 2 x 3 feet; he'll redo another 18" x 18" area over the winter; one of his first fixes that he wants to change..

Our various walls, supports, etc., had deteriorated badly, but as far as we could tell, were original. There were plenty of things the PO and PPO and PPPO had messed up, but it wasn't the basic structures, so they made good templates. The floor was where people had torn out the original and patched to the point where we were mostly on our own...that was a bit harder but Paul used heavy cardboard and made his own templates--in a measure 10 times, cut too big and trim 9 times kind of thing.

Watching your progress with interest!

(see the dip in the lower side just in front of the wheel well? It was a leaking access port he took out and glassed over--now he'll remove the dip, too, making it nice and flat there.)
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 052.JPG  
Old 08-22-2016, 09:04 AM   #20

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
Hey Jen,

Regarding those bolts...they probably are holding the shell to the trailer and if they are, be sure to replace them. Check underneath to make sure there is another suitable place to replace them. I recommend bolts rather than screws.

Regarding the two screws. They will likely have to be cut off to allow the new floor to seat well. Again, check from underneath. They may be holding something to the bottom of the trailer. If they are you will have to figure out a way to replace them.

Another tip about the trailer. Be sure to check the integrity. When we did a total rebuild of our Love bug we found welds that were completely broken. While the trailer was exposed we had repairs made, then sanded and repainted.

Regarding the cabinets, I agree with Kai about things that don't make sense having a purpose. The cabinets may have pulled away if the shell has sagged. When you put the jacks in check to see if the gaps change. And I'm guessing that strap that goes from one side to the other helps to support the shell.

Before you take things apart take lots of pictures and lots of notes. Include a ruler or measuring tape beside the subject. It will be a big help when trying to put the pieces back together.

Regarding the floor, we got an oscelating tool from harbor freight) in fact I think we have gone through 3 of them. Lol. You can also use a sander to get that wood away from the floor. Sand by hand or use a power sander 60 grit paper. I wouldn't us a belt sander on anything, it removes allot of material, sometimes too much. Check to see if the wood embedded in the fiberglass or if it is glued on. This may help when it is time to reatttach the floor.

You do have a big project ahead of you but it will be soo worth it.

Cathy
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:47 AM   #21

PE
Registry
[QUOTE=Jennygdeans;604727]Also, there is a metal beam that runs across the ceiling towards the front of the trailer. Is this standard for a Trillium Jubilee? Or is it something that was installed to fix some yet unseen problem?

Hi Jenny,

Some comments on your questions:

1-My jubilee has an intact roof, with continuous insulation and there is no metal support beam.

2-those bolts in the floor with square washers? They attach your jubilee to the trailer. Replace!! And yes, they will go through your subfloor.

3- the popcorn insulation usually comes off easily and can be carefully washed...if you choose.

I rebuilt my bunk, mostly...and did floor repairs too. If you want pics sent please ask!

Have fun,
Bee
Old 08-22-2016, 01:45 PM   #22

Nova Scotia
Registry
Bee - The picture of your Jubilee never came through, can you post again? No metal beam eh... Have you ever removed the insulation on the ceiling? Do you think you might have a beam under the foam? I'm thinking it was added, and just want to be sure. I'm hoping to replace it altogether with better supportive cabinetry. I'll make sure to recess the new bolts through the subfloor. The insulation is wrong, and terrible, and full of mould - it has to go. I would love some pictures! I'm going at this blind. The bunk I will ask about down the road, rebuild seems a long way off. Some floor repair pics would be great!

Kai - Your Amerigo looks amazing. I can only hope to be as fibreglass patch efficient as Paul!

Cat - When you talk about broken welds, what do you mean? A multi-tool is on my tool to-buy list! Along with an orbital sander. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2016, 03:39 PM   #23

PE
Registry
jenny,

I will have to figure out the pics attachments thing (from an iPad)!

1-There is no metal beam at all, nothing under the insulation.

2- The bunks were one of my challenges too! There was only the sitting part. I did ask around and got some great pics from another owner. I can resend to you if you send me a private message with your email address....he sent me one of pics. I got the pics too late though and had already used guesswork to complete it. I used galvanized tubing from Kent and shower curtain rod holders as the tubing (bunk supports) holder. Piano hinge is a strong hinge, the stuff from the hardware store was not very wide and felt flimsy, so I found some at a boat/upholstery repair shop. Boat places have more in common with our little trailers than campers places sometimes! What the fiberglass needs confuses stick camper people sometimes
3- take tons of pictures! It helps when you are putting it back together!!! Keep anything slightly useful, even if it's rotted....sometimes it's the only one you will find at first while you keep looking for a replacement.

I'll keep on the pics quest...though taking JulieBee out for a trip for the next four days, won't be home for a little while

Happy Reno-ing!
Bee
Old 08-23-2016, 05:07 PM   #24

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Jennifer:

I posted pics for you on your facebook question..

There is no steel brace across the ceiling.

The cupboard on the door side that has the fridge in it does not touch the walls on mine either. In fact there is a false back to those cupboards that is at least 3" away from the wall. I'm trying to figure out a way to put a switch just inside the door and those false walls are making it troublesome. I believe (opinion) that the cupboard is attached at the roof and the floor but not at the wall.

In you pictures it looks like the small table and bench setup at the front is different than mine. Both of the benches on mine are much smaller. Unless its just the angle I'm looking at it from but I don't think so. The far bench from the door is the same width as the counter. The one beside the door is a duplicate. There is a ledge between them about 5" deep.

I used an air chisel to get my old floor up. It was the same as yours and all rotted out. When I replaced it I used an adhesive that a renovator friend of mine recommended and it is applied like foam. It is gap filling and allowed for a great and fairly easy install.. IF you like I can ask again what that product was.. IT's been a few years since I did mine.

Most likely you will need to remove your windows and I'm going to guess the plywood around them in a lot of cases will also be rotten.. Actually sounds more difficult than it is. Do yourself a favour though and replace all the screws with stainless.

I am more than happy to help you get through this.. Being in Ontario makes it difficult to actually come around and look see but pictures help somewhat.. I am in no way an expert but have been where you are now.. except maybe my ensolite was in good shape and all my cabinets are original.

If you need more pictures and measurements feel free to ask. She is just outside the door.

I actually like the wood cabinets but some people have painted them to sort of match the fiberglass look.. That's OK as well.

You will be very happy with your camper once you are done though. We absolutely LOVE ours
Old 08-23-2016, 06:39 PM   #25

Nova Scotia
Registry
Thanks so much everyone, you've all been amazingly helpful!

I've taken out a good insulation and the bench that at the front. That was fairly straightforward.

Now it looks like this: (Well, sort-of, I forgot to take a picture without the insulation!)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2433.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	309.5 KB
ID:	98856

It uncovered interesting things like this 'patch'. I'll have to deal with that later.

Name:	IMG_2507.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	98859

Also, this mess of wires.

Name:	IMG_2425.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	381.7 KB
ID:	98858

These blocks of wood are randomly attached to the back of this section, it's where the bench was secured to the wall. This doesn't seem right. Any Jubilee owners mind checking their front bench to see how they are attached to the front wall?

Name:	IMG_2428.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	98857

My other big question is about the tops of window. Are they just attached to the piece of wood that runs around the upper part of the walls, below the shelves and the upper cabinets? I was surprised that this was it and that this piece is installed *over* the insulation. Seems strange. Anyone have any ideas why it might be like this? Is your trailer the same?

Name:	IMG_2508.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	360.6 KB
ID:	98860

My other big challenge today was that I cannot for the life if me figure out how to remove the floor to ceiling fridge cabinet. I have removed every screw I can see, given it a good pounding with a mallet and it's still not moving (it budges slightly)! It's not attached at the ceiling, or the floor. My only guess is that it is glued to the wooden supports. I think I have to attack it with a reciprocating saw to get it out! I'm switching to removing the kitchen, but I'm not optimistic about the ease with which it will come out!

Picking up one of the two kids from camp tomorrow. My progress will be remarkably slower. But I'm looking forward to the stories!
Old 08-23-2016, 06:51 PM   #26

Nova Scotia
Registry
Bee - I'm hoping to get rid of my beam. I'm not even sure it's helping... The shower rod holder things were installed on the bottom bunk, but no other hardware or cushions. I'll have to tackle that when the time comes.
I've contacted a local fibreglass place to see if I can get someone to come have a look at the structure, give a professional opinion about the beam and the rest of the mess! Thanks for keeping on the picture hunt!

Wayne - My fridge cabinet is attached at the wall (I think glued) at the bottom of the small top cabinet and the top of the fridge opening. My back was just open to the fibreglass. Good to know that yours is closed.
My area at the front is (was/will be) setup as bunks. The bottom bunk went all the way across with an area in the middle to slide a port potty.
The windows are on my hit list. I also need to replace the back one, half of it is fixed plexiglass and we want as much air circulation as possible! Thanks so much for your offer of help, and all the great Facebook pics. It's good to help visualize the final product!
Old 08-23-2016, 08:05 PM   #27

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Well the hinges and handles for the doors look right in the first pic. It could be that they just painted the wood.

The wiring in the second pic is pretty normal. All the wire for the trailer comes in that little spot. So your travelling lights like brakes and signals etc as well as the power from your battery.. Where does the larger white wire go to?

The Windows are installed using plywood all the way around like a frame. Not just the top but the sides and bottom as well. Yours is looking a little rough and my suggestion would be to replace it. The windows come out fairly easy. From outside the trailer you pull the black plastic cover off the frame of the window and under that is a bunch of screws. You remove those and take the window out from the bottom.. It will be sticky. Replace plywood frames and using butyl tape to seal reinstall the windows and I'd use stainless screws.

I went out with a flash light and had a look at my benches.. They are sitting on a ledge all the way around the wall and between them is a wooden ledge about 6" out from the front wall also sitting on a fiberglass ledge. In the outside corner is a chunk of wood behind the ensolite.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:11 AM   #28

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Quebec
Registry
My 5500 has those wood blocks attached to the wall with fiberglass resin to hold the benches.
If the wood is still in good condition and can hold wood screws tight enough, that's fine.
Not sure why the wood frame of the windows is over the insulation, usually the insulation is glue on top of the wood. May be a previous owner did that to avoid re-gluing the insulation.

Tags
trillium