1980 ventura makeover project - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-10-2017, 07:08 PM   #15

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
your rig

I don't laugh at anyone or anyones project. Best of luck to you there are a few who have torn their buckets down to nothing and started over.

At 75 I do not have the energy to do that but best of luck to you.

neat neat

bob

k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:29 PM   #16

Name: carma
Trailer: ventura
Alberta
sure mike, i'd love to meet for coffee sometime, and also for sure i'd love to find out how to make my furnace and fridge runner hotter and cooler

the cranks all seem fine, all the windows open and close well, a couple of them stick a little, but doesn't seem to be anything serious. they don't go out of alignment or anything, and they seem to be well sealed....i pushed on the walls inside and out all around every window, seems to be solid, nothing soft and no gaping edges or anything. all the aluminum inside and out is pretty clean and shiny, i don't think i'll have to do anything but a light polish.

coming from a tent trailer with no appliances, i have a lot to learn, i don't even know how to winterize this camper, so that's what i'm here to search for tonight. i hope we don't get a lot of snow here tomorrow, my trailer is in sangudo right now.....i think the forecast for that area is 10-20 cm tomorrow! i'm a bit worried, but hopefully by the weekend the highway will be clear and dry again, i'm picking it up on sunday, and storing it in an rv park in spruce grove. crossing my fingers the weather will hold for a little while longer yet

cajabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:59 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
makeover

I store mine in calmar 335. per stall per year the stall will hold 2 trailers .and that si fine with Dave.year round accese nice place pass cards and cleane and neet .if you need to move it in winter dave will make sure it is goog to go.
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:04 PM   #18

Alberta
ok i've been reading all about winterizing....since i don't have an electric pump (just one of those taps you hand pump) or a hot water tank or toilet....do i still need to put antifreeze in? like just pour some down the drain and some into the water tank, even if it's empty? just plain old automobile anti-freeze, or is there something special for rv's?

i'm going to zip tie all my windows closed, and the owner put some red tuck tape over the drain pipe from the sink to keep rodents out, i can't see that lasting thru winter. i thought i'd stuff some steel wool in there, and tape it shut with foil tape instead of the tuck.

aside from that, i'll tarp it, and park it front end high so any snow/water will drain off that flat roof. somebody somewhere here spoke about putting a tee-brace made of 2x4 lumber inside to support the roof....i can do that easily enough i suppose.

sound about right?

thanks in advance for any and all replies, i sure wish i'd found this trailer a few weeks ago, "winter is coming" is taken very seriously in my neck of the woods, i'm scrambling and a bit worried now!
Old 10-10-2017, 08:38 PM   #19

Alberta
thank you to bolerbee for posting this link in another thread, i'm posting it here for my own benefit so i don't have to go searching for it in the spring. this fellow made his own door for his truck camper. i know the door on my trailer has an issue in one of the upper corners, it's possible there is more rot than i know, i'm pretty sure i can manage making a new door like this myself if necessary. i'll check more thoroughly in the spring.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Built A New Entry Door For My Truck Camper!
Old 10-10-2017, 08:39 PM   #20

Alberta
makeover

Dont use auto antifreez use rv stuff its not poison.just emtyyour water tank best you can.and leave the valve open.rv antifreez down the drain .and the hand pump is dry. when we meet.we can talk about off griding it .i do that with all of mine .i have7 rv '1 is a hand built truck camper made 90% recycleed material.
Attached Thumbnails
20170327_101003_001.jpg  
Old 10-10-2017, 09:04 PM   #21

Alberta
thanks again, mike. that was a dumb question, now that you gave me the answer lol.....yes i probably would have poisoned myself with regular auto anti-freeze, like duh or what

i was just reading that most of the older ventura water tanks are likely to be rotten. i took a quick peek but that's one thing i didn't look too closely at. i guess it would be nice to have running water, but i'm so used to hauling water while camping that if i still have to, no biggie for me.

off gridding? you're just full of cool and useful info and skills, aren't ya mister

that coffee's on me
Old 10-23-2017, 07:30 PM   #22

Alberta
not much of an update - i finally picked up my trailer and towed it home yesterday. 5 km down a gravel road full of ruts, washboard and a train track, 1.5 hours on a highway in construction season. i was really happy and relieved at how it handled over a pretty good variety of road conditions - seems solid and stable on all, no swaying or weird rocking or undue bounce of any kind. it's now safely parked at an rv lot about 20 minutes from home, and i'm feeling pretty confident (and relieved again) that i didn't buy a lemon or anything. the water tank is in great shape, i checked that thoroughly because i didn't think to look all that close 2 weeks ago. i'm pretty sure my biggest expenses will be a new fridge and new foam cushions. i'm glad i have the winter to research and plan and think about mods, find out how to do some basic wiring for solar (maybe) etc. a friend suggested that i put in 2 6v batteries instead of 1 12v. i'm not exactly sure why, but i'll look into it. i think i also want to install one of those fan-tastic roof vents - no doubt there's lots of info on all the above here.

ok that's all i have for now, this post is more for my own benefit in recording the date i brought it home, just for posterity's sake is all.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:33 PM   #23

Alberta
makeover

I am glad to hear all went well .I can help you with the solar and find out what is up with the fridge. we still need to do coffee .Miky dees by Cabells at windemer is about half way .let me know what when .I just made a new battery rack for one like yours .i also have a battrey guy conection.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:51 PM   #24

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajabu View Post
not much of an update - i finally picked up my trailer and towed it home yesterday. 5 km down a gravel road full of ruts, washboard and a train track, 1.5 hours on a highway in construction season. i was really happy and relieved at how it handled over a pretty good variety of road conditions - seems solid and stable on all, no swaying or weird rocking or undue bounce of any kind. it's now safely parked at an rv lot about 20 minutes from home, and i'm feeling pretty confident (and relieved again) that i didn't buy a lemon or anything. the water tank is in great shape, i checked that thoroughly because i didn't think to look all that close 2 weeks ago. i'm pretty sure my biggest expenses will be a new fridge and new foam cushions. i'm glad i have the winter to research and plan and think about mods, find out how to do some basic wiring for solar (maybe) etc. a friend suggested that i put in 2 6v batteries instead of 1 12v. i'm not exactly sure why, but i'll look into it. i think i also want to install one of those fan-tastic roof vents - no doubt there's lots of info on all the above here.

ok that's all i have for now, this post is more for my own benefit in recording the date i brought it home, just for posterity's sake is all.
Congratulations on the new trailer!

Yes, good idea to have two 6Vs if using solar.

Look for pink RV antifreeze. No auto stuff, as said.

Sounds as if you are doing well so far.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:23 PM   #25

Alberta
hey mike, yes i'd still like to meet for coffee....i work in allard, so windemere is super convenient for me. i don't know your schedule, i could meet you on a weekday afternoon if that's best for you, or after work sometime, but give me a couple of weeks please - we are in the thick of new home possessions right now, so i'm crazy busy at the moment. the battery is currently installed inside, under the front bench seat, my friend was telling me it would be a good idea to move it outside on the tongue.

hi cathi, thanks for your well wishes/congrats, and kind advice. i'm really green about all this stuff, and i'm sure my newbie-nerdiness is obvious, and maybe a tad obnoxious . isnt that just how it goes when you begin a new adventure with a touch of blind enthusiasm, maybe it's just me, lol. i'm not even sure what benefit i'd get from solar, or rather - i'm not sure i'd take advantage of all solar has to offer? i tend to stay in provincial campgrounds with electricity and shower blocks.....but maybe i'd venture into places more......well, i dunno......off the beaten track more? maybe? i guess i don't know what i might be missing out on, or i don't even know why/how solar would liberate me from the campgrounds i go to now. i really need to learn more to find out what it means to solar-camp it. i betcha mike will tell me when we go for coffee

hey mike, you don't know a fridge guy, do you? holy kamoly i had not a blue damn clue an rv fridge would cost so much! just when i was feeling all pretty-princessy because i remembered that i have a portable ice maker that i can now use for camping since i bought a new fridge for home recently. i was looking at used ones on kijiji, but......that looks like a hit or miss way to go. i may just buy a used electric bar fridge for a temporary solution. it's still a bit too far away to think about, unless i find a great deal in the meantime.

so much to think about, so much to learn.....
Old 10-24-2017, 02:14 AM   #26

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Batteries are said to charge better when they are warm. So that is something to investigate when deciding if you want to relocate yours.

There are pluses and minuses to many decisions as well as modifications and adaptations to installations that can turn a plus into a minus or vise versa. Create a list and weigh these things against each other. Of course there are also absolute "must not do" regarding safety so that is where the knowledge of acceptable modifications and adaptations will come into play for battery location decisions.

You have more reading and research to do. Use reliable, professional, sources to verify what you read in forums on this subject. Sometimes people are spot on accurate in responses, other times not so much but of course not intentionally so
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:57 AM   #27

Alberta
makeover

I know what that is like .Just send me a massage when it workes for you .and i am the fridge guy. i have 4 of these trailers in different stages of makeovers.when we meet i can show you some pics. all mine get solar led lights 12v water pumps ect .I like remote camping .i think they call it boondocking now.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:44 PM   #28

Alberta
good advice, kc....thanks. as anxious as i am to personalize it and make it beautiful, i'm in no hurry to make any major changes.....i could camp in it as it is, i'm sure it would keep me warm and dry. i'll be doing a fair bit of sewing over the winter, and painting the interior in the spring. by then i should have a better understanding about practical upgrades that will suit me, and how i plan to use it.

remote camping? hmm....i'm not really a princess, but i suppose only compared to some. i still like a hot shower at least every couple of days when i camp. i kinda think there's a solution for that too, and probably i just need to be introduced to some wilderness type places to get inspired/ambitious enough to try the boondocking boogie

looking forward to meeting you and seeing your pictures, mike.

Tags
ventura