1981 Bigfoot B17 sagging roof - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2019, 10:51 PM   #1

Name: Greg
Trailer: bigfoot
SK
1981 Bigfoot B17 sagging roof

I had posted awhile back about my B17 but can't see how to find the post or replies. Is there a way on the site to find them?
Anyways, I have finally begun the remodel and have stripped off the ceiling panels. The water damage from the sagging roof seems to be mostly confined to the ceiling, which is good.
My first order of business is to strengthen the inside of the roof with at least one added beam. Can anyone give me advice on how to find posts that address how to do this. Searching for 'roof repairs' etc. has not led me to much so far. Any advise appreciated - thanks.
g4fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:31 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Click on your name, top left. Then click on find more posts by.
That should do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-06-02 at 10.29.55 PM.png  
Old 06-03-2019, 08:11 AM   #3

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Yeah depending on how buried the post is, it's faster to do it the way Glenn posted. Often when you're just scanning through the forum you scan right past your post and don't see it. At least that happens to me a lot. Going into my profile and looking at my posts always works.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:32 AM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I think you may be experiencing an issue with this trailer that is unique. There may not be any other forum members with similar problems like this.

Some times when people ask me for advice. I tell them "the best advice I can give you is, "don't take my advice." So with that in mind----

Reinforcement from inside the trailer might sacrifice precious headroom. Maybe some bow shaped wood or metal pieces that would "pull" the roof back into place would work here. I had considered mounting a long tube on my roof to carry long fishing poles or some sore of rack to tie down a kayak could be fabricated that would reposition and strengthen the roof. Best of luck.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:42 AM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Easiest way to search this forum, by far, is to do a google search, something like:

sagging bigfoot roof fiberglassrv forum
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:51 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If you plan to carry a kayak or canoe on your trailer roof, be prepared to move the kayak to your tow vehicle to take it to the put-in or to drag the trailer to the put-in.

Sounds like a good idea, but in practice it's a pain in the butt.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:05 AM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: bigfoot
SK
Thanks everyone! I have found the old posts and some information that should help me with the project.
g4fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:24 PM   #8

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
sit agging roof

Jack As to this problem being unique Dear wife and I owned an older Bigfoot 17 which had a sagging roof ( rather than being unique the sagging roof thing seems to be standard equipment for older Bigfoot 17s ) . When we had the Bigfoot we would visit with other Bigfoot17 owners at gatherings and found many with the sagging roof issue so should be lots of advice here on solutions . The best solution I saw was the installation of a matrix of interlocking wood strips but the probability of my workmanship coming out as good as that persons was slim and none so I decided to go with the Antique Roadshow attitude call it "patina" and move on. Lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:02 PM   #9

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Senn View Post
Jack As to this problem being unique Dear wife and I owned an older Bigfoot 17 which had a sagging roof ( rather than being unique the sagging roof thing seems to be standard equipment for older Bigfoot 17s ) . When we had the Bigfoot we would visit with other Bigfoot17 owners at gatherings and found many with the sagging roof issue so should be lots of advice here on solutions . The best solution I saw was the installation of a matrix of interlocking wood strips but the probability of my workmanship coming out as good as that persons was slim and none so I decided to go with the Antique Roadshow attitude call it "patina" and move on. Lee and Norma
My 1994 Bigfoot 17 had a wavy roof, and I know I was not the only one with this issue. Mine never changed in 9 years.From looking at the OP's photos and his description using the word sagging I think his roof is beyond wavy.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:23 PM   #10

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Mine has a wavy roof, too. It's somewhere around 1990 that they supposedly strengthened the roof.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot