1981 Perris Pacer project - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2014, 08:08 PM   #1

Name: Steph
Trailer: Perris Pacer 13'
California
Registry
1981 Perris Pacer project

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0276.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	74436Getting picked up to get pretty! NOT! This is our "new to us" 1981 Perris Pacer. Backed our Mini up to it just for a cute photo opp. Going to tow it with our midsize SUV. Right now, our egg is gutted inside and off the frame. Pics to follow.
ratty3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:20 PM   #2

California
Registry
Gutted inside completely now, this is an earlier picture. Frame had been "repaired" by previous owner, cracked frame still apparent. Off to the welder it goes for proper repair and reinforcements.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0357.JPG   IMG_0468.JPG  

IMG_4911.jpeg  
Old 08-03-2014, 08:28 PM   #3

California
Registry
Sorry, forgot to post the interior "before" photos.Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	74441
I'm a newbee.
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	74442
Old 08-08-2014, 07:27 AM   #4

California
Registry
The trailer frame back from welder, looks great. Break in frame repaired properly/completely, new hitch coupler, removed and replaced factory bracing under the door with a "beefier" rail. Off to the trailer repair tomorrow, going to be measured for a new axel etc. Going to try and hit the upholsterer as well, needs new foam and upholstery, then the real fun begins, the inside
Old 08-09-2014, 06:07 PM   #5

California
Registry
Dropped off frame today, getting new axel and hubs.
Dropped old dinette cushions and Gaucho bench cushions off at the upholsterer too, new foam and upholstery. Turned out the upholsterer was only a 2 miles away from the trailer place, how lucky was that! A big plus considering we live in So. Cal.

A big shout out and "thank you" to Bob Miller from these boards for turning us on to Arrow Trailer
Old 08-09-2014, 08:58 PM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
perris pacer

Welcome ...i also have a 1981 pacer and live in so cal
not sure if your a newbie...but you should consider attending the ralley
At lake casitas in fall
we ve been going the last few years..great time
let me know if you have any questions on your pacer...
By the way the best mod we did
was to build a front dinette and always leave bed in bed position
It seems to make a 13ft trailer bigger lol
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:57 AM   #7

California
Registry
That sounds like fun Alan, but sad to say, there's no way we'll be able to complete the little guy by October. The axel is going to have to be ordered and it's going to take about 3 or 4 weeks for the trailer shop to receive it. We had to leave the frame at the shop, puts us behind schedule.
Thanks for your "mod" suggestion. The egg is sitting there gutted, we keep changing our minds on what to do on the inside. While the frame is away, it'll give us plenty time to change or minds 3 or 4 more times.....LOL

I need to order materials/supplies for the interior anyway, seems like everything takes a couple of weeks to receive. Ordering faux tin tiles for the ceiling today, short pile marine hull, laminate etc......
Old 08-10-2014, 09:01 AM   #8

perris pacer

I currious...wher in calif are you located
we are in thousand oaks
keep in touch
Old 08-10-2014, 09:04 AM   #9

perris pacer

Do you have a name for yours
We wanted to call our The Perris Hilton
but someone beat us to i
haha
Old 08-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #10

California
Registry
We're down here in Temecula. We'd like to make it out to Casitas for next year's rally
though

"Perris Hilton," that's a good one, super cute name!LOL We don't have a name yet, we were talking about that yesterday on the drive out to the trailer repair/supply place. Our egg has a little dimple on the side by the door. I suggested "Shirley Dimple," I got a funny look from my DH I guess it'll depend on what the outside ends up looking like, we want to paint it. Did you paint your exterior?

Our goal is for our egg to be a place to chill at the beach, tailgating, camp a night or two in it, very simple and relaxed. I hope to be able to start posting some pics as we get going on the inside. Our friends all have those big 5th wheels (35 footers), that's not for us, too much trouble and effort.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #11

I found a good source for stuff Walt s rv.
i cant remember exact location.not far from ontario if i remrmber lots if new and used stufg
Old 08-10-2014, 10:29 AM   #12

California
Registry
Thanks, I'll check it out.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:50 AM   #13

California
Registry
Frame break repaired all four sides with reinforcement.
Attached Thumbnails
photo 1-1.JPG   photo 2-1.JPG  

Old 08-15-2014, 10:58 PM   #14

California
Registry
Received our faux tin tiles today, going to use these on the ceiling. They are very lightweight, each one measures 2' x 2', made of PVC. I'm very pleased with these, they look really great and are going to be easy to trim.
Attached Thumbnails
photo.JPG  
Old 09-20-2014, 12:07 PM   #15

California
Registry
new axel

Yippee, got the frame back this morning! New Dexter axel and new hubs!
Hope to paint the frame this weekend, if all goes as planned
Old 09-21-2014, 05:19 PM   #16

California
Registry
Mission accomplished. Frame painted, front and back windows reinstalled (new rubber gaskets, windows had to be trimmed due to slightly different gaskets), ran interior wiring. First weekend in 3 weeks that it wasn't over 100 degrees here, hadn't been able to work on the egg due to the heat. This was a marathon egg weekend. Hope to post pics in the next couple of weeks when we start the inside. Next weekend though, Buellton Vintage Bash as spectators, another delay (but a delightful one!)
Old 09-21-2014, 09:30 PM   #17

I m closely following your rebuild as I have a pacer also
My wife and I will also be attending as visitors to the
Buellton vintage show
Just a question but where are you planning on carrying your spare
Looking for ideas on a mount
Old 09-22-2014, 09:33 AM   #18

California
Registry
Yeah, the spare tire dilemma is still up in the air Alan..... We've gotten some nice ideas and pictures from the kind members on these boards, still don't know I don't know if your Perris Pacer came with a "bumper," but ours did. We were so surprised to find that the "bumper" was made of fiberglass not metal, we're newbies to the FG world. The FG "bumper" has since been removed. If we end up putting the spare on the back of the camper, a metal bumper will have to be fabricated and added to the frame, probably still might need some type of metal bumper whether we end up with the spare back there or not.

The interior is 95% "clean," just a little bit of caulk/some glue residue to remove, a few pinhole size holes in the FG to be sealed (ones we missed the first time around) then it'll be ready for the Reflectex, marine hull, Fantastic Fan, flooring, ceiling tiles etc...... The brand new bench cushions are hidden inside, all over our house, didn't want to store them outside in the garage, I can hardly wait until they're out of here! We need to find a place to get the exterior painted, that's our next big decision, hopefully our last "major" expense, fingers crossed. When we get started on the inside (the fun part), I'll post pictures
Old 01-11-2015, 12:41 PM   #19

California
Registry
We are still alive and I had been removing copious amounts of epoxy, silicone and caulking, geesh! Everything in this egg was glued to something, which was glued to something, which was, well you get the idea Seeing progress though, interior ceiling (center had been separating) has been repaired and DH is working on the cabinets and reconfiguring the kitchenette. Brand new cabinet doors are being skinned with laminate (edged with aluminum) as well as the front of the reconfigured kitchenette. A new counter top has been made and has been skinned with laminate as well, just waiting on the metal edging to arrive. Happy with the way the laminate sheets worked out, looks like everything will be easy to clean I'm surprised at what great condition the interior fiberglass cabinet boxes are in even though they were caked with glue, they look almost new. Since the boxes are looking so good, we decided not to remove them and just make the new doors. Removing all the glue has been a painstaking task I can't even begin to imagine how all that glue got there???
Old 01-11-2015, 01:00 PM   #20

California
Registry
repair

ceiling repair
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0510.jpg   IMG_0511.jpg  

Tags