1981 scamp rebuild where to start - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2013, 09:43 PM   #1

Name: danny
Trailer: 1981 Scamp
Florida
Registry
1981 scamp rebuild where to start

I picked up this scamp last month for a few bucks. i am planing a full rebuild but will have to get her apart and see what all i need to do. I know all the cab. have to come out and build all new wood cab. new glass. An axel and a paint job. From reading some of the post, the upper rear cab. is in demand. mine is coming out.
I am a wood working fool. i have built custom wooden kayaks. furniture, boat parts and a few years back i built a tear drop camper. And i have a wooden toy shop where i sell my wooden toys.. so now this scamp will be my new toy.
renewableart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Welcome to FGRV Danny

The first place to start is taking pictures. We all love to see what you had, how you did it and how it turned out.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #3

Florida
Registry

I am working on pics,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0564.jpg   IMG_0563.jpg  

Old 03-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #4

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Get it road worthy... even if it is just a hardsided tent... so axle/tires/trailer lights wires

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #5

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Wow! Now that's a real "Lowrider". Have fun.
PS is that a rock guard on the back window?
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:56 PM   #6

Florida
Registry

first thing on my list is looking at a Flexiride 2000lb axle. they have an adjustable trailing arms. and i have 50ft of new rubber in the mail to replace front and back windows that was painted. Im thinking i will put a front booth and i will be cutting out for a larger window on the front. by the way i only need 20ft of the rubber window seal. i will have 30ft left i hate to trash it.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:54 AM   #7

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Can't wait to see your woodworking magic. Some other folks on the forum have done some beautiful cabinet work on their little trailers. Have fun with your new toy!
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:14 AM   #8

Florida
Registry

There is no rock guards on her. some one painted the windows. It was used as flee market storage. But for the $200.00 I payed for the scamp. I will replace all the glass.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0224.JPG  
Old 03-07-2013, 06:23 AM   #9

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
$200 is a steal. You could do a ton of remodeling and still come out ahead. I'd highly recommend pulling up some of the threads by Robert Johans here on the forum. He rebuilds Bolers professionally, does top notch work, and knows how to get a lot out of small spaces.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:11 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Danny
Great find. Start from the bottom up. Check out and the repair frame and axle. If in a shop first remove front and rear window. Pull out seats and lower kitchen cabinet and carpet. (Leave closet in place for now for support.) Strip out plastic covered foam under the seats. (Not ensolite.) Try to save ensolite on walls if possible. Inspect and replace floor sections if needed. (Replace one floor section at a time in a Scamp). Paint the frame when floor sections are removed. Check table board in rear wall for rot an R&R if required. Remove and reseal the other windows and vents. If you need to paint the interior & exterior do it when all the windows and vents are out. Reinstall side windows and vents. Run electrical and new gas lines as needed. After wiring and gas lines are done glue refletix under the seat areas. Now start making sawdust. BTW nothing in a Scamp is square or straight. If working in a shop the last thing to do before you roll it out is to install the front and rear windows. Plan on adding at least $1800. to the orig, investment and you should have a great little trailer.
Good luck
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:39 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by renewableart View Post
..... I will replace all the glass.
I wouldn't bother. Just clean the paint off with a chemical stripper. Glass is nearly inert.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #12

Florida
Registry

I just finished removing all the cabinets in the little scamp. the floor was looking good till i took out the water tank side bench. some one had left an pile of charcoal laying in the rear corner while cleaning it up, there was no floor. The good thing is the rest of the floors look good. Wife cleaned the walls and painted the walls. we matched up the color thats was behind the kit. cabinets, a light green. i just need to finch up the caulking the seams so she can paint the second coat. when its all cleaned back up after to nights demo. i will get new pics.
cabinets and parts are here if any one needs any thing before it goes to the dump.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
ooooooh truly jalousie windows! Don't trash those, fix them! Those windows are wonderful and they're not made any more... SIGH.

danny... we're glad you're here! This will be a fun rebuild to follow.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #14

Florida
Registry

I am posting pic's of what damage the the man i bought this scamp from.... he cut the cab. and closet out so he could make the bed larger. now i have to rebuild all what he damaged. and been looking for one window to replace the one he cut up to hang an air unit out of. i looked at this thing for two years be for i talked to him about taking it off his hands. don't know what he would have cut next.

A hammer and nail with some duck tape i can fix it.
Attached Thumbnails
inside3.JPG   inside4.JPG  

inside2.JPG  
Old 03-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #15

Florida
Registry
Scamp was just dropped off at the frame shop to install the axle. Will have it back this weekend to start building. It has been striped in side. The rear floor is out, it had some bad spots. i have my new plexi for the windows. the new rubber come in to day for the front and rear glass. I cant find crank out windows to fit, and with one missing going to take the other side out. Going to do the side windows like the rear window.

I have 50ft on new rubber for the windows. is a one piece rubber that i could only order in 50ft roll. ! needed 20ft for the front and rear glass. any one that need rubber for there rebuild i have left over.

I have a hammer, nails and duck tape i can fix it.

Danny
Old 03-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #16

Name: Illy
Trailer: Casita Patriot
Texas
Danny,
I have a 1994 13' Casita trailer, I need to replace the axle too. I don't even know where to begin on having it fixed, any advice? My trailer was a gift from my dad, so I am a little clueless on these things.
illy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by illy27 View Post
Danny,
I have a 1994 13' Casita trailer, I need to replace the axle too. I don't even know where to begin on having it fixed, any advice? My trailer was a gift from my dad, so I am a little clueless on these things.
You can have a new axle installed at one of these dealers. If it doesn't have brakes on it now, this would be an excellent time to have them installed.

Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - Texas
Old 03-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #18

Florida
Registry
Hi Illy
i just got in from the install on my spring axle. I checked with 4 trailer shops to get a matching axle and was told by all 4 shops that dexter axles is a 4 to 7 week turn around to get one. that is the best way to go but for me i went with a dexter spring unit so i could get it back to the house so i can work on it. i had the rear floor out and missing one window and did not want it open to the elements.
now in my set up i lost from the front of fenders back to the bed of the lowered floor to make room for the springs. i could have added a 2x2 tube under the frame and not lose the lowered floor but then it would have lifted the trailer that 2in more that i did not want. springs will raise your trailer unless you do as i did. and i can get you pics if you want to see what i did.
i have been a heavy equiment mechanic for 20 some years and springs on trailers has been used lots longer then torsion bars. and springs don't wear out every 20 years. and most all other rv manufactures use springs for a reason.
i got my axle installed by a welder and frame repairs for $375.00. dexter axle is to days price $450.00 plus the welder cost.

i have a hammer, nails and duck tape i will fix it
danny
Old 03-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #19

Florida
Registry
One more thing dexter dose not warranty there axles if they are put in as leading like scamp has installed them. they say they will not hold up working that way. so you would have to do frame rebuilding to install them for dexter warranty.

i have a hammer ,nails and duck tape i will fix it

danny
Old 03-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #20

Danny, always open to differing opinions, but I think that your's is in the minority here. The torsion axles are used for a reason on most FG campers. With the independent suspension, the center of the axle doesn't move up so the campers can be low. They are also light, durable and provide damping that a leaf spring does not.

Tags
scamp