1982 Scamp with a new life - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
Name: Cory
Trailer: Scamp
1982 Scamp with a new life

So I have been using all the information on here endlessly as I try to fix up an old scamp. Thanks to everyone for sharing! I will try to share my experiences to hopefully help others.
The interesting part on the story is probably the parts that no one will ever know but I will share the interesting history that I know. In 1999 the camper was registered in Washington by the Dept of Natural Resources as a 1995 Scamp. In The beginning of 2013 it was sold at auction as a 1978 Playmor by the University of Idaho. In September I bought it as a 1995 Scamp and sanded down the VIN to discover it is actually a 1982 Scamp.
The sink and stove had been removed and the kitchen was now covered with solid wood. It appears to be glued in place so it might remain. The only electricity is from the cord to a single 110 outlet. The battery, propane, and all water tanks were removed.Th trailer had been painted and was now a dull white that left a pasty residue on any hand that touched it. The door did not seal so in addition to 30+ years of grunge it also had a significant amount of dust inside. Many rivets were also loose and leaking water inside.
Fortunately the frame, floor, and shell were all worth keeping so the work can begin.

I have added some pictures to my profile.

corys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
First project...improve exterior.

With the help from my better half we drilled out the rivets and worked on gutting the inside. Once that was complete (down to shell with ensolite, wood flooring, and the closet) I sanded down the outside to prep for painting. I read a lot of posts on here and ended up choosing to paint it myself using Rustoleum Marine Top Side paint. I used the matching primer and painted the top white and the bottom blue. Everything was rolled on with a 6" foam roller. I thought the paint went on well. I can't speak for durability yet but it looks terrific. The bottom took 3 coats and may receive one more when the weather warms up enough in the spring. Blue over white was tough to cover. The white on top was primer and two coats. As of now I would say this was a good method for an amateur like myself and only cost about $100.

So far I have scrubbed the entire thing with TSP and some parts with simple green. I took the advice of many and refrained from painting the ensolite in favor of scrubbing the heck out of it. There were multiple gross buckets of water dumped in the process.
The cushions felt terrible. Touching them left your hands dirty. Even after rinsing them they felt as though they were falling apart any time you touched them. They are off to a great family source for replacement.
I know there is quite the debate between rivets and machine screws and I am planning on going stainless with neoprene washers. I will be sure to update if I regret my decision.

I can't wait to start putting everything back together. I still have a shell of a camper but it is a much cleaner shell now.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #3
Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
Cory, fantastic job!! That was a lot of work but well worth it. It is now all yours. Good that you have that history. You might want to keep that little piece on it inside somewhere for future owners. Very nice.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:38 AM   #4
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Good job Cory! Like your statement "...renovated back to a comfortable state"
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #5
Trailer: 2007 Casita
Cory, Welcome!

Your lil glass trailer has had a life of interest. If only it could talk!

Keep the the remodel pic's coming! The long Montana winter ahead will give you ample opportunity to make it shine! Good luck and enjoy the journey!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
Very good job saving a really used and abused trailer.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
I left out the fun I had with the wiring! I bought a converter to go from the round 6 plug on the trailer to the flat 4 on my car and had some success with lights. I stayed out of traffic the best I could just to get it home to work on it since I only had one turn signal and one break light. Turns out there were a few changes made in the past. I noticed that the plug was only using 4 wires anyway so I replaced the round 6 with a flat 4.
I used the wiring doc that is posted on this site to learn how Scamp wires their trailers. The trailer lights now work when they are supposed to. At the beginning I had every light blinking with one turn signal and nothing with the other. The color coding can be simple and helpful except when people add in extra wires and change the colors mid run. The "extra" wires are still in place for brakes and battery but since the trailer has neither I have just capped them off in place. Oh and one bulb they chose to replace with a completely different style. That did not work.

It was a puzzle but at least it was an easy step to the project and now the lights work!