First project...improve exterior.
With the help from my better half we drilled out the rivets and worked on gutting the inside. Once that was complete (down to shell with ensolite, wood flooring, and the closet) I sanded down the outside to prep for painting
. I read a lot of posts on here and ended up choosing to paint
it myself using Rustoleum Marine Top Side paint
. I used the matching primer and painted the top white and the bottom blue. Everything was rolled on with a 6" foam roller. I thought the paint
went on well. I can't speak for durability yet but it looks terrific. The bottom took 3 coats and may receive one more when the weather warms up enough in the spring. Blue over white was tough to cover. The white on top was primer and two coats. As of now I would say this was a good method for an amateur like myself and only cost about $100.
So far I have scrubbed the entire thing with TSP and some parts with simple green. I took the advice of many and refrained from painting
the ensolite in favor of scrubbing the heck out of it. There were multiple gross buckets of water dumped in the process.
The cushions felt terrible. Touching them left your hands dirty. Even after rinsing them they felt as though they were falling apart any time you touched them. They are off to a great family source for replacement.
I know there is quite the debate between rivets and machine screws and I am planning on going stainless with neoprene washers. I will be sure to update if I regret my decision.
I can't wait to start putting everything back together. I still have a shell of a camper but it is a much cleaner shell now.