1984 Bigfoot 5th Wheel Updates - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2008, 07:57 PM   #1

Name: Chris & Maureen
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
We were encouraged to get this posted at the recent NOG. This is the Bigfoot trailer we have listed for sale here:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=29122

Here is a couple BEFORE pictures of the trailer when we first purchased it. It needed some TLC to get it back into shape.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Original_trailer2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	12941

Here are some AFTER photos of the exterior after it had been scrubbed, new lights installed, windows resealed and new tires.

Name:	DSC_3860.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	12945

More pictures to follow...

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
New_trailer2.jpg   After_trailer1.jpg  

Before_tire_cover.jpg  
Maureen M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:22 PM   #2

Washington
The old floor was really ugly.

Name:	Before_Floor.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	12946

We updated the floor with additional plywood and new solid vinyl flooring. I used Trafficmaster Allure vinyl plank flooring, which was a great choice for an RV being waterproof. It was easy to work with and intricate cuts were simple using a pair of tin snips.

Name:	During_floor_repair.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	12947

The cushions and valances also needed replacing.

Name:	Before_Cushions.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	12949

Here you can see the new cushions. We had them reupholstered at a local shop, and Maureen made the new valances. We also had the curtains dry cleaned since they were still in good shape. It sure made a difference, and were we ever glad to get rid of those brown stripes!

Name:	After_cushions.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	12951

More pictures to follow...

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
After_flooring_repairs.jpg   Before_valances.jpg  

Old 05-01-2008, 08:37 PM   #3

Washington
The wallpaper needed to be updated as well...

Name:	Before_wallpaper.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	12952

Here is a shot taken after painting with a special primer before hanging the new wallpaper.

Name:	During_wallpaper_repair.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	12953

And finally the new wallpaper in place.

Name:	After_wallpaper.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	12954

Lastly, I worked on repairing several spider cracks in the roof. I used a fiberglass reinforced jelly applying several coats and sanding each coat...

Name:	During_spider_crack_repairs_first_layer.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	12955

Lastly I applied two layers of Interlux marine epoxy primer and two layers of Interlux marine Brightside polyurethane finish. I did a light sanding between each coat. I was definitely impressed with the Interlux products. The primer was so tough it took some effort to get it sanded.

Name:	After_spider_crack_repairs.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	12957

Now the trailer is ready for someone to enjoy in the great outdoors!

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
During_spider_crack_repair.jpg  
Old 05-01-2008, 09:14 PM   #4

Name: Phil
Trailer: 17ft 98 Casita FD
Texas
i love getting to read posts like this ... good work
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Very nice, I like the new colors!
Old 05-02-2008, 06:39 PM   #6

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
wow.. you have done a fantastic re-do!! I love the interiors of the BF... if they werent so heavy I would consider one... .....
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:53 AM   #7

Washington
Thanks, Christi, for your nice comments. Just to let you know, this trailer has a dry weight of only about 2,750 pounds. Very light for its roominess. It's the single axle model and tows easily with our 6-cylinder Nissan Frontier.

That's one of the main reasons we went on a hunt for the Bigfoot 5th-wheels from the 80s. Bigfoot Industries increased the weight by quite a bit when they changed it to a dual axle model, and they seem to keep making their trailers heavier and heavier. It's also nearly two feet wider and has more headroom than your Scamp, so just in case you are at all tempted, we can make you a deal!

Chris
Old 05-03-2008, 08:25 AM   #8

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot
What beautiful changes you have made. It really gives a fresh new feeling to the 5th wheel. It is inspiring to read posts like this. Thanks for sharing!
Charlene
Charlene Urso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #9

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
I am especially intrigued that you tackled the wallpaper project. My 97 Bigfoot has some areas where the wallpaper is starting to come loose. Probably due to condensation. I would love to completely replace it eventually, but it seems like such a huge amount of work. Did you pull out window frames, etc. ? How did you get the old paper off? Is there a special type of wallpaper that should be used in RVs? I would love to know what you learned doing your project.

Dave
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:58 PM   #10

Washington
Dave,
The wallpaper project was just about as easy as installing wallpaper in your home. The original wallpaper was attached to the wall well. So instead of chemicals and scraping, we cleaned and sanded the wallpaper then primed over the top with Zinsser primer. We had it already in our garage from another home improvement project. This paint has high adhesion to almost all surfaces. Maureen and I then rough-cut the new wallpaper and installed it as normal. The true test of any marriage. After the glue set-up, I used a sharp knife to trim the excess.

I did remove some of the windows, but not specifically for the wallpaper project (although it helped along one edge.) I pulled both side windows by the dinette, cleaned the area and window frames really well and applied new butyl tape to seal them. The windows are easy to remove. They just have A LOT of screws to take out. Once the screws are removed and the interior ring is removed, just apply even pressure from the inside to break the seal. I had Maureen outside just in case I pushed too hard. Once the window is out it made cleaning much easier. Now with the new seals, all is water-tight.

Hope that helps.

Chris
Old 05-04-2008, 10:12 AM   #11

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
Chris: Thank you for the details on the wallpaper project. I already removed the interior ring from one of windows last year. It was a tedious job, but not that bad. I was attempting to re-glue the wallpaper that was de-laminating around the windows. That did not go well at all. I found out that the original owner had replaced the windows after they had been broken by vandals with BB guns. I have no idea whether he properly sealed them at the time, but the wallpaper is now bubbling up around all the window frames. There is a sloppy line of silicone applied to the outside edge of the frames which shouldn't be necessary if good butyl tape was used to seal the frames to the fiberglass. So I will probably take them out and re-seal them as you did. That would be a good time to re-paper. But unlike you, I will have to remove quite a bit of the old paper first, at least around the windows. But I was happy to hear from you that it's OK to paper over the old wallpaper where it is still intact. Thanks again for your very good inspiration.

David
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:14 PM   #12

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Maureen & Chris, you did a great job on the Bigfoot you're selling . . . It'll be great to see what happens to the one you want to keep!

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:37 PM   #13

Washington
Well I can't just leave it alone. During the NOG, I received several comments regarding our "less than perfect" entry step. Well with help from my brother-in-law who is very talented with a MIG welder (he is a machinist working for a large airplane company here in the Puget Sound region) we beefed up the framing and installed a new step. I know I am still pouring money into a trailer for sale, but I know the future new owner will appreciate the work.

As for our "keeper", that will have to wait until this trailer has a new home and I have the cash flow to make those repairs.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:50 PM   #14

Washington
Well, it is now time to start working on the 1987! We sold the 1984 trailer today! Thanks all for your nice posts.
Chris

Tags
bigfoot