1984 Burro "Bunk House" Sleeps 5! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #1

Name: Jon
Trailer: 1984 Burro 17' wide body
Michigan
Registry
1984 Burro "Bunk House" Sleeps 5!

I have remodeled our 84 Burro wide body into a bunk house which will sleep 5. You read that right, we sleep 5 and enjoy it. Our previous camper was a 1976 Apache Ramada hard sided popup. We had that for 10 year and it worked well as long as it wasn't raining when you had to set up or down.
I purchase a old dirty rundown Burrow widebody and decided to remodel it. After a lot of thought this is what I came up with. So far it has exceeded our expectations.
I built a bunk with shelves at the foot of the double bed. The end folds down during the day. There is a bench over the wheelwell that will seat 2 with shoe storeage below. We can put 3 small chairs on the end and other side of the table so 5 can use it. The table is mounted on a post and pocket that I took out of and old popup. The factory bunks have been rebuilt with 3/4" plywood for extra support.
I removed the gas and water as we only camp where there is elect. and showers. ( son 9, daughters 11&15) We do our cooking with a hot plate, elect griddle and microwave. I installed a/c where the holding tank was located and also removed the gas furnace and replace the shelves. If we need heat i have a small electric heater. Dishes are washed in a tub outside. We have more storeage then in the popup and more then we need.
So far it has been great. I will post a picture later when the beds are made up. I have also added a bed rail for the bunk over our feet to keep my son from rolling out. It was installed before our first trip. We also have carpet on the floor. The whole family is pleased with it and can't wait for the next trip. By the way our tow rig is a 1948 Ford coupe, 350 chevy engine, automatic overdrive trans.
Pictures of our project.
Fiberglass RV - Jon Munn's Album: Burro
Jon Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #2

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16- side bath
Virginia
Looks nice! Great job setting it up for the way you and your family need it!

Looks like the wide body model has a lot more room than the standard width eggs.

Enjoy it.
Ryan P R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Good for you! Don't you just love it when a plan comes together? I'm sure you and the family will make a ton of memories in your five person Burro!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #4

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Hey, who even notices decor when it's sack time! I like the hot rod; anything added to the suspension in the rear? I get the feeling the bunkhouse used to be a "dance hall," Jon, as you don't mention removing waste tanks, throne, and the Marlite partition that fit to that attenuated, stub bulkhead on the right side rear.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 1984 Burro 17' wide body
Michigan
Registry
I have a Nova rearend in the 48 with parallel leaf springs. We towed the 12' Apache behind it for 10 yrs. The Burro weighs the same as the popup. Trailer on, full tank of gas and 3 kids in the back seat and we are ready to go. Our last trip was about 600 miles round trip.
Jon Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #6

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
We started with an Apache Mesa-they were great trailers but they were definately heavy. Welcome.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #7

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Wide Body Burro and 48TV

Absolutely AWESOME!!!

Tags
burro