1985 U-Haul 16' Title Transfer? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #21

Name: William
Trailer: U-Haul
Pennsylvania
mmeyer and all;

Do all 16' VT's have 17 total numbers on the title with only the last 6 being the same?

Bill
Abee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #22

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Only have 16 in my vin number. Is your rear bumper aluminum or fiberglass? Mine seems to be slightly different than the others. Fiberglass bumper, no sticker on outside and a slightly longer tongue with rubber mounts for some unknown purpose.
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #23

Pennsylvania
Rear bumper is aluminum painted black. I did not see any rubber mounts on the tongue but I have will look again tomorrow. I do have hydrolic assist brake system.

Bill
Old 04-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #24

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Well, that makes is a VT very likely. They came with hydraulic brakes.

Welcome to the family. We have a VT too.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:48 AM   #25

Name: Chris
Georgia
Registry
U Haul international has a numbering system that has Equipment Serial Numbers that are the 10 digit numbers you are looking at. The first four are the Fleet #. The next two letters are what it is and the last 4 are the same as the last 4 of the Vehicle Identification Number. The Serial Number is what U Haul uses in our system to track and rent the equipment. The VIN # is used to register the equipment. On my CT the stickers inside and on e left front of the body say that the Serial # is the VIN.'so it can be very confusing. Other owners of VTs might be able to tell you where they found their vin plates. It should have the long # stamped into it and will most likely start with 14HU. Good lunch getting it sorted out.
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:44 AM   #26

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
We have 17 digits on our VIN, but there is no VT in it. Instead, ours ends in GT181196. I'll have to check the welded plate to see what it says. Maybe it's just a typing error somewhere in the registration chain.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:59 AM   #27

Georgia
Registry
As many different locations that there were sold from there is no telling. Mine has a plate welded to the tongue with 16 or 17 digits. But the last 6 don't match there. Makes me wonder if there were just assigned a serial number until they were sold and then the shop getting them ready welded on the long number to sale them. That would account for the odd 17 digit numbers.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:22 AM   #28

Name: Mike
Trailer: uhaul, 84, 13CT
Massachusetts
Maine registration- non resident. Therese Cahill Low Dir. Constituent services, Off of the Sec. of State, 148 Statehouse Station Augusta, ME 04333-0148 ph: 207 626 8400 It is my understanding that you do not need to be a resident, also, very inexpensive. Best of luck. I have the same U Haul situation but live in a non title state. But I know it will haunt me one day. you could get Mary and Bobs stamps .
h.mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:23 AM   #29

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
My opinion is that whatever procedure for selling the campers that was dictated by Uhaul headquarters was not strictly followed at all locations where they were sold. One example is that some had all the Uhaul ID removed, including the decals. That's the way ours is. Others have the decals covered, by paint or a solid decal. I saw one that had all the original decals on it. I know when I worked for Ryder we didn't always follow procedures or complete what was to be done. Ryder procedure when selling a unit was to de-ID it, so I assume that was Uhaul policy also but not done at every location. Maybe there was some procedure for the VIN numbers too. Out CT has a metallic sticker on the left side near the front that has numbers but it is partially scraped off, intentionally done at the time of sale, or accidental damage, I don't know. Also on the front window frame at the bottom there is what looks like the old label maker plastic tape with the numbers on it. It's in bad shape from age, not easily readable, but appears to have 16 or 17 digits & letters. No numbers or tag on the tongue, so I'm going to stamp the numbers from my title on to the tongue to help avoid any issues in the future, maybe stamp them on the frame somewhere too.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:18 AM   #30

Georgia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
My opinion is that whatever procedure for selling the campers that was dictated by Uhaul headquarters was not strictly followed at all locations where they were sold. One example is that some had all the Uhaul ID removed, including the decals. That's the way ours is. Others have the decals covered, by paint or a solid decal. I saw one that had all the original decals on it. I know when I worked for Ryder we didn't always follow procedures or complete what was to be done. Ryder procedure when selling a unit was to de-ID it, so I assume that was Uhaul policy also but not done at every location. Maybe there was some procedure for the VIN numbers too. Out CT has a metallic sticker on the left side near the front that has numbers but it is partially scraped off, intentionally done at the time of sale, or accidental damage, I don't know. Also on the front window frame at the bottom there is what looks like the old label maker plastic tape with the numbers on it. It's in bad shape from age, not easily readable, but appears to have 16 or 17 digits & letters. No numbers or tag on the tongue, so I'm going to stamp the numbers from my title on to the tongue to help avoid any issues in the future, maybe stamp them on the frame somewhere too.
You are correct about de-imaging the equipment. Also if there is not a visible VIN equipment can be "assigned" a new VIN. So it can be tricky. If you are sure of your VIN I don't see a reason you couldn't stamp it on your trailer where ever you would like. This would make it less likely to be Re-Owned by someone who may be less than honist.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #31

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abee72 View Post
Hello mmeyer;

Thanks for helping in my problem. Yes it is a VT I would suspect since there is a VT in the middle of 8 numbers. The seller told me it was a CT which he said it stood for Camper Trailer but I suspect he is mistaken.

Could you tell me what VT stands for?

Yes, you may put me where I belong in the forum as I am just beginning my journey here.

Thanks and God bless; Bill & Family
Welcome to the family, We have a VT also, I'll have to check our numbers when we get back, so far this winter we have gone 5000 mi
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #32

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Our numbers are on the front left side and by the door on the out side and wielded on the frame behind the left wheel, our numbers are 3666 VT 8174
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #33

Pennsylvania
Hi Roger;

Thanks for helping too. This is a great place to meet people that have hearts to help others. I feel blessed and like I've found a home here with other like minded people.

My tag has the same numbers as yours does except for the last 2 are 72. So it seems like my VT was made right before yours.

I don't have any numbers by the door but I've been told there are other places U-Haul placed the whole list of 17 numbers. I have not found that place yet. I did contact Chris and am hoping for some more info from him too.

Thanks again for helping and God Bless, Bill & Family
Old 04-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #34

Pennsylvania
Just an update here. I still have not found all 17 digits on the trailer, however I found a small tag on the axle, very rusty and very hard to read. Top has NEW....IND. then has numbers and letters under that but none of which I seem to need. I'm not ruling this out yet as it is hard to fit under far enough to use a magnifying glass. One side weld is loose and it is just a single pea size weld on each side.

Talked to past owner today and asked if he found any tags but he never looked. All he had to do is send the title in and wah-lah, it's done. Now that is liberty and I think we lost that in PA a long time ago.

Took the title to the notary that has the direct line to the state today and they said it showed it belongs to an 85 U-Haul Trailer but did not give an owner name because it is out of state.

The guy sitting next to me turned out to be a retired inspection mechanic and offered his inspection of the VIN when I'm ready, and for free. The girls didn't think he would be able to do it though since he is retired. That is an unknown so far but his offer was very kind.

I guess my next chore will be to find that vin stamping.

Thanks everyone...we'll keep you posted.

God Bless, Bill & Family
Old 04-11-2013, 05:06 PM   #35

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
Only have 16 in my vin number. Is your rear bumper aluminum or fiberglass? Mine seems to be slightly different than the others. Fiberglass bumper, no sticker on outside and a slightly longer tongue with rubber mounts for some unknown purpose.
My bad I have 17 letters and numbers now that I have daylight to actually count. Also it starts with the same sequence Chris indicated it would.
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #36

Georgia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abee72 View Post
Just an update here. I still have not found all 17 digits on the trailer, however I found a small tag on the axle, very rusty and very hard to read. Top has NEW....IND. then has numbers and letters under that but none of which I seem to need. I'm not ruling this out yet as it is hard to fit under far enough to use a magnifying glass. One side weld is loose and it is just a single pea size weld on each side.

Talked to past owner today and asked if he found any tags but he never looked. All he had to do is send the title in and wah-lah, it's done. Now that is liberty and I think we lost that in PA a long time ago.

Took the title to the notary that has the direct line to the state today and they said it showed it belongs to an 85 U-Haul Trailer but did not give an owner name because it is out of state.

The guy sitting next to me turned out to be a retired inspection mechanic and offered his inspection of the VIN when I'm ready, and for free. The girls didn't think he would be able to do it though since he is retired. That is an unknown so far but his offer was very kind.

I guess my next chore will be to find that vin stamping.

Thanks everyone...we'll keep you posted.

God Bless, Bill & Family
The tag on the axle will most likely be the axles own tag and not for your trailer. Good luck bud.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #37

New York
I was just over on the tnttt forum, another PA resident went and bought a junk popup in Delaware to use the frame to build a teardrop on. It had an old PA title from an owner previous to the current seller. PA wanted paperwork from the old PA owner which would be a pain in the A for the guy that just bought it, so guess what his solution was; a Maine registration as a home made trailer!!
Old 04-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #38

Pennsylvania
Mary & Bob;

I just got off the phone with Maine for registration. They have to send me a list of notary offices in Maine via email. Then I have to go thru them. I wanted to start this method just in case I can't find the full number. If I find the number I think I will ask that retired mechanic to verify it if he says his license is still active.

I posted the list below but have not called any of them yet

Maine Statutory Agents
Motor Vehicle Capability
Call ahead for fee information

Haskell Registration Agency
PO Box 148 Phone: 207-622-3843
Augusta, ME 04332 FAX: 207-626-3147
haskellregistration@roadrunner.com

MMTA Services Inc
PO Box 857 Phone: 207-623-4128
Augusta, ME 04332 Phone: 207-623-4128
www.mmta.com FAX: 207-623-4096

Maine-ly Titles Phone: 877-886-8848

Attn: Mike Rolnick Fax: 888-855-7066

PO Box 1189

Bangor, ME 04402

www.mainelytitles.com

Staab Agency
PO Box 942 Phone: 207-549-7541
259 Goose Hill Road 207-549-3299
Jefferson, Maine 04348 FAX: 207-549-7638
michele@staabagency.com FAX: 207-549-5138
www.staabagency.comToll Free (US & Canada)
800-648-8805

Countrywide Trailer Registrations
PO Box 1515 Phone: 207-590-5344
Biddeford, ME. 04005 207-284-0203
207-522-4552
Fax: 207-282-7370
cwtr@maine.rr.com
www.countrywidetrailerregistrations.com
Old 04-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #39

New York
Is it time for the number stamps? The retired guy sounds like a good option. Hope this all gets resolved soon.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #40

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Once you get it all straightened out, I'd suggest a VIN plate mounted someplace on the frame. Easier than trying to number the frame! ID/Name Plate - VIN
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
title, u-haul