1985 U-Haul 16' Title Transfer? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #41

Name: William
Trailer: U-Haul
Pennsylvania
Well Bob, it is definitely time for me to get out the power wire brush. I saw some youtube videos that were not U-Haul specific but showed some other places where that number might be stamped. We are all sick here and it is raining out so hope it will be nice tomorrow to start sanding, scraping, and get out the VIN finder, etc.

Just got off the phone with Staab Agency in Maine. They don't title anything under 3000 lbs. or earlier then 1995. She said just keep the NC title I now have and give that to the new buyer if I would sell it, or I can title it in PA. My name is already on the back of the title so not sure how that would work. Seems like PA would want tax paid if I applied for title. Also not sure what happens if I'm pulled over with just Maine tag and registration but no title? So with a 1985 camper it isn't as simple as everyone makes it sound, but I may be wrong too, who knows.

Tags are $27/yr. and if I use it 80% for travel out of state I will be tax exempt but have no title.

Hi Donna; Thanks for your input. I checked out the tag you posted and the size is only 3" long and there is painted design all around too, so getting 17 numbers in that particular 2-1/2" tag space would be next to impossible. I will check out that site for other ones though

Looks like I'm still on the fence here wanting to do the right thing; so searching for those 17 numbers is still my next move. Chris says they should be on the camper somewhere so I'm still hopeful.

God bless, Bill & Family
Abee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #42

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Donna; I bought a couple of those ID plates after you mentioned them some time ago. Not bad but a little on the small side, official looking though. May corrode after time exposed to weather. Thanks for that link, I wouldn't have known about them otherwise.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #43

New York
William, some states don't title all trailers, in NY it's older than about 1970, so there is only a registration card, and some light weight trailers here don't get a title. Mass is another state with no title on some trailers I believe, so they use a bill of sale to transfer ownership. If you had a Maine registration and sold the trailer, it would be like any other trailer sold in Maine with no title. But keep trying to get that PA title if at all possible, good luck.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #44

Pennsylvania
Bob; Thanks for that info, wish it was that way in PA. There should be a uniform terminal online nation wide that all states can trace titles w/o the hassle we all seem to have to a different extent.

Yes, I'll keep trying and keep posting until I do whatever ends up being done.

Thanks for your support. This forum is a great place to be part of.

I'm gonna talk more with my mechanic next week when I go for auto inspection. He is a very honest and knows what needs doing in most situations.

God bless, Bill & Family
Old 04-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #45

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16- side bath
Virginia
This is what some folks do for getting a title for a Moped for the certain states that require them, even thought many states cannot and never have had titles for them....

Find someone, family or friends or friendly forum member, that lives in a state with a SUPER EASY title-ing process. Have them get the trailer titled for that state. You might have to "sell" the trailer to them with a bill of sale first. Then "buy" it back from them and transfer the title, VOILA.
Ryan P R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:42 AM   #46

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
I believe my Vt had the serial number stamped on all the window frames.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #47

Pennsylvania
Well I'm not sure about selling and buying back. Seems complicated and long.

As for the numbers on window frames. Not sure what you mean? My window frames are only stamped with "U-Haul not to be sold" but no numbers.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

I'm still lookin ;o)

God Bless, Bill & Family
Old 04-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #48

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
I knew there was something on the windows, sorry.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #49

Virginia
Abee,

It's not difficult and long, as you don't actually "sell" it then "buy" it back. The trailer is not moved, and no money exchanges hands. You just fill out the paper work as though it was sold to someone else, then titled, then bought back with a proper title.

As for me, I would just make a VIN plate that that matches the title # on file.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #50

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Why not just start by stealing a trailer?
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #51

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Why not just start by stealing a trailer?
Come on now, that is one heck of a jump to make!

It is very unreasonable and just plain insane that some of the laws out there make it either impossible or nearly impossible to properly title/register a legitimately owned and acquired vehicle... Without finding some crazy loopholes to jump through that the would never tell you about.

For example: I have 2 legitimate/legal mopeds here in Virginia. VA law does not require and WILL NOT even issue a title for a "moped". If I were to move to one of the many states that require a moped to be registered/titled, I'd be out of luck for the most part. Most states would not be able to provide me with a title or registration at all so I would be forced to either get rid of them or use some crazy loophole to get it done. And no, I wouldn't choose get rid of them because of the ridiculous red tape in my way.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:18 PM   #52

Pennsylvania
1985 U-Haul 16' Title Transfer?

Ok well I finally found the tag with all the numbers. Chris Jones gave me the idea to look under the propane tank holder mount and to my surprise there it was, all rusted up but is now wired wheeled and has a new fresh coat of paINT FRIM RED DEVIL FOR METAL, Did I ever tell you how much I haTE THAT CAP LOCK BUTTON WHERE IT IS LOCATED. I traced the numbers and gave them my grvw and empty weightand now have a new plate. What an ordeal but thanks to Chris and akll thos efaITHFUKL TO MY DELIMA I WAS ABLE TKEEP THE FAITH, tHANJS TO ALL,,,gODF ABLESS, bILL & fAKMILY
Old 06-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #53

New York
We were wondering how you were making out on this problem, glad to see its finally resolved.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:22 PM   #54

Pennsylvania
Thanks Mary & Bob;
Yes we sure anxious to get on the road when we have some time, however summer is when I like to work on my buildings so the schedule will be tight until September at least. maybe with a little luck we can get away for a day or 2 just to get the feel of "Cramping". Thanks to all that followed my delim a with comments and a special thanks to Chris from U-Haul for letting me know he found another hidden place for those tags to be tucked away. It proved to be a winner location in my case. Thanks Chris...God bless, Bill & Family
Old 06-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #55

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Abee, Papa-t here. I'm the one that sold you the U-Haul. I just noticed the post and recognized it as the U-Haul I'd owned. I really hate you had all the trouble with the registration. As you know I had no problem getting it titled in N.C. from S.C. After only a week of ownership I sold it to you. I also faxed information to the PA Title Agency for you that showed the title was registered as a clean title through NCIC ( National Crime Information Center) like you ask me to. The stamping of a new VIN # was what I suggested when you said they needed a rubbed copy. This would have not been illegal due to you owned the camper and had in hand a notarized letter showing the transfer of ownership and a notarized legal title with a legal transfer of ownership. When I didn't hear anything else from you I assumed you had it all straightened out. However, a stamped VIN # on the frame would have been quick, simple and legal. Anyway, glad things worked out in the long run and now all is ok. Ted
Old 06-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #56

Pennsylvania
Thanks Ted; Glad to hear from you. Yep we are also glad everything is over and ready to roll. Hopefully we will see you on the road someday. I hope I can remember all the little do's and don'ts you went over with me when I bought it. It's been awhile and my menory is getting shorter and shorter;o). Well thanks again for chiming in and touching base with me...God bless, Bill & family
Old 06-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #57

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Best thing about this forum is everyone is so willing to help with any questions. Some forums I belonged to in the past if someone ask a silly question they would get slammed. On here I've noticed everyone seems to really care which is great. Good luck with your travels. God Bless

Tags
title, u-haul