1985 U-Haul 16' Title Transfer? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2013, 07:30 AM   #1

Name: William
Trailer: U-Haul
Pennsylvania
1985 U-Haul 16' Title Transfer?

Hello; I just joined the forum and am a first time owner of a Fiberglass RV in PA. Seems like this site is the most specific to learn from so here I am.

I just bought my U-Haul CT from NC and am having a problem getting the title transferred because the VIN numbers are not all there on the aluminum foil sticker located on the front left corner above the turn signal. That VIN has 4 numbers then VT then 4 numbers. The title has 17 numbers and letters of which only the last 6 match the last 6 of the VIN sticker.

Can anyone tell me if there is another location the VIN numbers are stamped, possibly on the tongue or frame somewhere? I have looked all over and can't find any.

I took what I had to the notary but when they run the title VIN it comes up 1 digit off and not telling us which it is. On top of that PA requires any out of state transfer be visually seen by the notary or me showing them a tracing of one.

Hope someone can help us, any help would be appreciated. Any info I can supply to assist please ask. We would love to take the kids somewhere in our new, old, first, RV.

Thanks and God Bless, Bill, Arlene, Ethan & Ellah
Abee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
On the CT (13'), some have a plate welded to the outside of the frame behind the left wheel. Read first post here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post342001

Also there should be a metal tube about 6 inches long in front of the bumper. This held the original registration.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
On my Uhaul part of the sticker is also missing, and there is part of another on the front window frame. It was posted on a teardrop forum that PA is a real pain in the A on registrations, so much so that a PA resident found that he could register a trailer in Maine online with no hassle. I had no problem here in NY because mine had a NY title, but with my vintage teardrop that came from out of state I had to provide a rubbing of the VIN number. So a set of number stamps, a hammer, and I had VIN numbers on the new trailer tongue and a pencil rubbing to take to my local DMV. There is a place where you can buy aluminum ID plates that you stamp your numbers on, I have a couple.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
...... So a set of number stamps, a hammer, and I had VIN numbers on the new trailer tongue and a pencil rubbing to take to my local DMV. ......
It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #5

Pennsylvania
Hi Tom; Thanks for that info on the VIN. I found the tag behind the left wheel but there was nothing in the tube.

The problem is that only the last 6 (2 letters then 4 numbers) match what is on the title. The 4 numbers before them match the alum. foil sticker on the side, however they are not on the title.

Any idea how I should proceed with this since I cannot find all the numbers?

Thanks again for being so fast a response.

PS: I just got back from my state representative's office and they could not give me any more advise then the notary.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #6

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.

DMV wanted a rubbing, I gave them one, paid the sales tax and registration fee and everybody was happy. Another odd circumstance I had with them was I went in to license an old car and a motorcycle that had not been licensed in 20 years. I had the last registration paperwork for both and it was in my name, but they wanted VIN rubbings on them too, did that plus photos, paid my money and out the door with new plates.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #7

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
From your numbers you have a VT

My sticker on our VT was inside the door by the lock striker and had the full complement of letters and numbers. I will add you to the VT owners list. If you don't mind would you share it's history so I don't have duplicates on the list
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #8

Pennsylvania
Hello mary and bob;

I just looked on the front window frame but there is noting there. One problem with the vin on the title is that 1 digit off and them not divulging which one. So now I have a plate that matches the sticker, but a title that only matches the last 6 digits. The title, by the way has 17 digits and as we have determined the plate only has 8.

Registration in Maine sounds easy but I thought you needed a residency in the state where you register?

I'm still unsure how to move forward. I think I will call the notary again.

Thanks for helping.

God Bless, Bill & Family
Old 04-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #9

Maybe Chris Jones (member here. UHaul employee) has some insight. He looked up my UHaul build date for me.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #10

New York
Bill: If only for entertainment purpose rather than a solution; go to tnttt.com, it's a teardrop site, go on to "essential information about building teardrops" it should be the first section, then click on "easy, painless & cheap way to register your trailer" that is by a PA resident. He is into building and restoring trailers and apparently had quite a time with your states DMV. I've found over the years that sometimes it just takes finding the right person that will help or give you the right answer.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #11

New York
Reading back through the posts it sounds like PA is like Connecticut where they have to verify the numbers. I gave my daughter who lives in CT two trailers, a popup and a utility trailer, both had to be taken to a DMV location where they came out and verified the numbers matched. Do you need to borrow my number & letter stamps?
Old 04-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #12

Quote:
........ Do you need to borrow my number & letter stamps?
Search results for: 'number stamps'
Old 04-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #13

New York
Tom: we're going to call you "The Finder" because you are so very good at finding where to get things when someone mentions they are looking for something. You've sure helped me out several times. Great at finding and linking to past posts too. Thanks, it's greatly appreciated. I got my number & letter stamps at a car show/swap meet, and have them in two sizes even. Bob
Old 04-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Tom: we're going to call you "The Finder" because you are so very good at finding where to get things when someone mentions they are looking for something. You've sure helped me out several times. Great at finding and linking to past posts too. Thanks, it's greatly appreciated. I got my number & letter stamps at a car show/swap meet, and have them in two sizes even. Bob
Thanks. Google is my friend.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #15

Pennsylvania
Hello mmeyer;

Thanks for helping in my problem. Yes it is a VT I would suspect since there is a VT in the middle of 8 numbers. The seller told me it was a CT which he said it stood for Camper Trailer but I suspect he is mistaken.

Could you tell me what VT stands for?

Yes, you may put me where I belong in the forum as I am just beginning my journey here.

Thanks and God bless; Bill & Family
Old 04-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abee72 View Post
............Could you tell me what VT stands for? ...........
CT=Camper Trailer, VT=Vacationer Trailer
Attached Thumbnails
brochure p2.jpg  
Old 04-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #17

Pennsylvania
mary and bob;

I just sent you a pm.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #18

Pennsylvania
Thanks Tom;

I agree with Bob; you are fast at finding things. Sometimes it takes me days. I guess I don't know how to query the right words.

So now I know we have a Vacationer Trailer with the 2 middle digits being VT.

Thanks again; Bill & Family
Old 04-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #19

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Mine ends in VT8158 which I believe are the same numbers stamped on the SS plate on the frame. Have no idea where the rest of the letters and numbers came from
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #20

Pennsylvania
Mine is VT8172 for last 6 digits

Bill

Tags
title, u-haul