1989 Casita 16' - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2018, 10:19 AM   #1

Name: Andy
Trailer: In the market
Alabama
1989 Casita 16'

I found this locally, thinking about buying it. He is asking $10,995. Just wondering if this is to high? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The body is a Casita 16'1989 and in great shape, Nearly everything else is brand new:

Body/Structure Upgrades:

1. 2017 Dexter high-lift torsion axle with 1.5" aluminum wheel spacers for added stability.
2. Added steel struts on the chassis for increased support of frame
3. 2017 foldaway tongue jack for increased clearance. You can open your truck's tailgate completely.
4. Added hitch-receiver to the rear of the trailer, mounted a basket and an aluminum toolbox for tons of exterior storage.
5. Brand new hardwood subfloor mounted over three layers of roofing felt and tar for a water resistant seal.
6. New 4mm vinyl plank flooring
7. Closed-cell foam insulation sprayed on the walls!
8. Coated the foam insulation with white pearlescent truck bed liner!
9. Brand new plumbing throughout!

Accessory Upgrades

1. Two-propane tank system with selection valve.
1. 2017 Girard GSWH-2 on demand water heater. Works great!
2. Tempurpedic (brand name) mattress for main bed.
3. 2017 Coleman Mach 8 9200 btu roof A/C
4. 2017 105 Amp*Hour 31M marine deep cycle battery
5. 2017 Engel SB70F 60 Qt. Built-in DC Only Front-Open Fridge Freezer.
6. Brand new LED lights throughout
7. New shower fixture
8. Outdoor shower with hot and cold plumbing
9. 2015 Parallax 7300 power supply
10. 2017 SEAFLO 12V 5.5 GPM 60 PSI Water Diaphragm Pressure Pump
11. 2017 21 Gallon fresh water tank
soccerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:35 PM   #2

Name: Dick
Trailer: Casita
California
16 ft Casita

I, too, have a 16 ft Casita (2005 however). I'm told that the 16 foot model is light on the tongue weight, so the add-on carrier on the rear might not be such a good idea. Can't respond to the other items in the post.
Dick in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:46 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
1989 Casita 16'

Is this a Spirit Deluxe model with front bath? Original layout retained? Any pictures?

Lots of work done, and if done well, may justify the price. Many improvements seem well-thought out; a few things are definitely unconventional.

I'm not entirely sold on truck bedliner as a finish surface on interior walls- how will it feel when you brush against it? Will it become clammy in cold, damp conditions? I suppose if you don't like it, you could add a thin marine headliner material on exposed sections of the wall.

I'm not sure I understand what's going on with the subfloor, but roofing felt and tar seem an odd choice of materials for interior use. Smelly on a warm day? And why, since the Casita already has a full fiberglass underbelly? Hardwood- as in oak plywood? Interior or exterior grade?

The 12V fridge is nice. Will you plug in or use solar (not mentioned) and/or a generator to keep the battery charged up?

How did the owner reinforce the roof for the A/C unit? Casita 16's were not originally designed for roof A/C.

PEX plumbing? What type of fittings?

Wiring to code? How do you know?

What's the condition and appearance of the shell itself? Original gelcoat or paint? If paint, what kind and how applied? Fridge vents glassed over (or maybe it had an icebox?

Windows resealed?

What's with the wheel spacers?

Agree with Dick- be cautious how much weight you carry on the back. It's important to maintain 10-12% minimum tongue weight for stable, sway-free towing.

I keep coming back to the subfloor...
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:02 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
Aside from the specific issues posted previously I have a basic thought. You’ll wind up with a trailer that’s been pretty seriously modified. This could lead to a situation where something malfunctions (this will happen) and you’ll be seeking help from other owners and they will, most likely, ask questions that you can’t answer regarding mods. At that point they’ll be unable to help. Just a thought...

Well, one other...Spacers between the wheels and the axle? Increased stability? Sounds like increased stress on the axle.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:02 PM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Price is on the high end IMHO.

Heavily modified so if the work was done well and it suits you, fine. If not I’d keep looking.

Roof air and roofing tar floor construction would need further investigation.

Wall covering would be a turnoff to me.

Condition is everything!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:49 PM   #6

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Here's a link to the ad with photos. The owner also removed the black and gray tanks, and also left off some of the upper cabinets after they insulated and sprayed bed liner on the interior.

https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...dernized-13000

They also state it's not quite finished, and that all the materials needed to finish the renovation will be included in the asking price. Hard to say if it's "worth it" since it's quite heavily customized. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:38 PM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Well, with the plumbing not done and the gray and black tanks removed, I wouldn't buy it. I also wonder about the roof structure, given how much of the upper cabinets are gone. I would worry about AC support as well.

Most buyers would prefer to have working gray and black tanks. I also don't like some of the fiberglass work, like the patch job around the power plug.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita