1993 Scamp 16' repair and remodel - Page 10 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-19-2016, 08:31 PM   #127

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
However, I can't figure a way to get the blue wire through the firewall for the brake controller, which will arrive tomorrow. I'm on my way over to the WranglerForum.com to check in with the guys/gals that have already completed this task and find out how they connected the controller.
All you really need is to find a grommeted hole and slip your wire threw.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:08 AM   #128

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1991 Scamp - "Ziggy"
Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
All you really need is to find a grommeted hole and slip your wire threw.
Dave, that's what I've been looking for, without success. I have a picture that was texted to me from another Jeep Forum member to show me exactly where to look, but I am not optimistic. I'm going home for lunch to look.

My brake controller arrived today so I'm ready to finish this job but I need to buy and 20 amp auto-reset breaker for the power supply line. That's not a big deal either. Jus' sayin'...

Wish me luck.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:41 PM   #129

Kentucky
Git 'er done!

Brake controller is INstalled! Took me three evenings after work but I got 'er done tonight. I have to confess that I couldn't have done it without the guys from the Jeep Wrangler Forum. Those guys know their stuff and they jumped right in to help out with instructions, emails, pictures, private messages and all sorts of support. I love those guys.

I have installed two new circuits within the Jeep; one for the new 7 pin tow cable and one for the brake controller. Both new legs are fused with automatic reset breakers.

We're ready to hit the road! (Well, not really, because we still have a lot of fiberglass work to complete, holes to patch, etc. but we're road ready.) Let's camp!
Old 04-21-2016, 06:45 PM   #130

Kentucky
Remaining projects

I still have to reinstall the A/C on the new slide out drawer slides and we want to have a test of the extended table that will afford us more sleeping space, so I'll have to build a test table to extend the dinette sleeping area into the isle to test our theory for more sleeping space.

Neither of these project will keep us from camping but I'll be working on the temporary sleeping table extension tomorrow night.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:11 AM   #131

Kentucky
New fire extinguisher mounted last night.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:12 PM   #132

Kentucky
getting ready for our maiden trip

I've added the Kentucky State vehicle inspection sticker, mounted the license plate and reinstalled the insulation to the lower cabinets that was removed for cleaning/painting. Laura is busy putting the finishing touches on some custom bedding for our temporary extended bed and we're half packed for this weekend and tomorrow we'll hook up and pull Ziggy around the block to complete the final test of the new 7 pin wiring plug and trailer braking system.

The air is buzzing with anticipation!
Old 04-29-2016, 08:52 AM   #133

Kentucky
Road Ready, we're going!

We took Ziggy out for a road test last night and danged if'n that stupid door wouldn't stay shut, even with new hinges. Shoot!!! Well, we just motored over to Lowe's to look for a new hasp to lock the door shut because the 550 cord doesn't hold it shut tight enough to keep stuff from falling out...so...

We barely get into the parking lot and out of the Jeep when we're approached by another couple saying, "We love you camper!" Ya just can't go anywhere...hahaha. It was funny because this is the first time we've been out of the driveway and less than four miles from home and BAM! Somebody's gotta stop us while they admire Ziggy. How cool is that!

(I'll be installing the new lock set this afternoon before we head over the camp grounds for our maiden adventure.)
Old 04-29-2016, 08:56 AM   #134

Name: Emily
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
I love reading your posts on all that you have been working on! I'm excited right along with you for your first trip!! Can't wait to hear how it goes!
Old 04-29-2016, 10:20 AM   #135

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by emij View Post
I love reading your posts on all that you have been working on! I'm excited right along with you for your first trip!! Can't wait to hear how it goes!
emij: I didn't know anyone else was watching!? Thanx for your kind words. We'll be keeping notes as well as pictures so we can update our "kit" as things progress. The weather forecast doesn't look good but we're so excited we're going anyway. This adventure has been a dream since before last November when we bought our Scamp so we've been feeling excited for the weather to change as well as the improvements we've made to Ziggy.

Let's Camp!
Old 05-02-2016, 03:09 PM   #136

Kentucky
maiden adventure camp report

My report of our maiden adventure can be found here in the Camping, Camp Out Reports section of the forum. What a great time we had. We have reprioritized our to-do list and will be working toward getting ready for our next adventure!
Old 05-02-2016, 06:45 PM   #137

Kentucky
picture of new door lock

We had to add this lockset to keep the door shut while driving.
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2016, 07:03 AM   #138

Kentucky
Next priority will be the MaxxAir vent fan. It looks like Kellers in Somerset is a retailer for these so I'll be looking to pick one up very soon. Still undecided about how to mount: replace the escape hatch or cut a new hole...hummmmm.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:52 PM   #139

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16, 1983
Maryland
My scamp had a maxx air vent when I bought it, but the vent cover was warped and didn't seal, and didn't move well either. I bought a replacement vent on Amazon and found that it was set up for standard stick built roof thickness, and wouldn't fit the super thin scamp roof. In taking things apart I also found that the roof was deformed, dished in a little at the vent which caused water to pool and ultimately leak at the vent.
I solved both problems by making a small frame to increase the roof thickness, and glassed it to the roof with west epoxy and glass tape. I supported the roof from below with a 2x4, stuck it down with epoxy and screws from below. The screws fell inside the vent bezel. I made the Frame from that plastic wood used for trim and so far has held up well. Here are a couple pics of the frame before I put the vent in. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1462330296.580713.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	94792Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1462330354.112434.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	94793

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 05-04-2016, 10:32 AM   #140

Kentucky
dbdb: Thanks for sharing your pics. I will use your idea of the plastic framing for our install. We've done this in the past for other projects and it has worked very well.

Tags
external fresh water tank, for sale, rebuild, renovation, scamp, sixteen, sliding rear window