1993 Scamp 16' repair and remodel - Page 12 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-30-2016, 08:37 PM   #155

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1991 Scamp - "Ziggy"
Kentucky
Wonderful new table completed and it's B-E-A-U-tiful

Laura finished putting the final coats of MinWax Poly-Crylic sealant with UV protectant on our new table and bed extension this afternoon...well, actually, it was this evening because we worked our @sses off today getting some serious work done on renovations.

This is 9 ply furniture grade plywood and we use no stain so the final finish is EXTREMELY light colored, just the way we like it, in our small Scamp. The results are quite stunning in the small space and reflect light back into the room in a wonderfully warm way. We have prepared a bed extension that is oversized at 30" X 46." When combined with the new table that is 30" X 30" we will have a bed that is 73" X 76" sort-of and that'll really be nice. We still have to attach the final bed rail to lock the two pieces together, but the test was really encouraging.

We decided to make the table only 30" X 30" because it's a lot easier to get into and out of the dinette as well as move the table to the outside area like a picnic table and I can carry in in one hand now. Pretty nice mod!
Attached Thumbnails
NewTableTop.jpg  

Old 05-30-2016, 08:49 PM   #156

Kentucky
We put a slide into our Scamp

We have finished the re-install on the house air conditioner that came with our Scamp, Ziggy. We decide to re-install the house unit because it seemed to work well during a dry test in our garage, so...

I built a slider using drawer glides from Lowe's and 2" X 4" to make a table to allow the A/C unit to slide outside the camper into the "outside" where the A/C unit was designed to work as well as drain. I have not included any drain pans or water lines for the A/C unit because we don't intend to use it while on the road. When we stop, and intend to deploy the A/C, we'll simply slide the A/C unit out into the outside allowing ample breathing room and all the drainage that is required to eliminate the drainage issues common to A/C units. This idea seems perfect and seems the simplest solution to the A/C issue for us.

Of course, we'll have to continue to report how this is working, but the construction was not too difficult, although it was a lot of custom fiddly stuff to make the unit fit through the existing holes through the Scamp shell that was already cut.

Only time will tell, but the first test in running in our driveway as I type this review. I had planned on this install so I had already run the 110V line on it's own breaker when I installed the charge controller a little while ago. Simply adding the outlet and terminating the existing wiring and we were in business.
Attached Thumbnails
NewSlider.jpg   A:C4.jpg  

A:C1.jpg   A:C2.jpg  

Old 05-30-2016, 08:52 PM   #157

Kentucky
Still have to trim it out, but it's running...

We'll still have to complete the finish work and trim out the inside as well as work out how to seal the gap around the A/C frame/slide but it's working and the results are clearly noticeable within a few minutes of the unit running inside the camper. I call this move a success!
Old 05-31-2016, 07:36 PM   #158

Kentucky
Successfully resealed the bathroom window

I received some advice from someone here on the forum about creating a spacer to add some pressure to reseal the bathroom window. I cut a plywood "washer" to act as a spacer around the bathroom window frame and it worked great. That baby is sealed and dry!
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2016, 07:38 PM   #159

Kentucky
A/C access door for our new slider

Tomorrow I plan to use an old piece of fiberglass to cut a cover that will be hinged over the opening for the slider for our new air conditioner configuration. I makes me laugh every time I say our Scamp has a "slider."
Old 06-04-2016, 01:38 PM   #160

Kentucky
Bathroom Window Seal checked

Well, it's raining again and we're camping again in the rain. However, the bathroom window isn't leaking!

We're watching Silverado on my phone as a tiny movie in a tiny camper, in the rain.
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2016, 07:20 AM   #161

Kentucky
I re-mounted the refrigerator last night and installed some new molding around the face of the frig. I also finished trimming out the re-sealed roof vent. We used Velcro to attach the trim around the vent so it'll be easy to service later if required. (no pictures of that minor job) We're at a point where we are assessing what should be done next. There are lots of holes that need patching and the weather has been pretty nice so I'm thinking that maybe we should break out the fiberglass patching kit and hit those next...
Old 06-13-2016, 09:03 PM   #162

Kentucky
re-sealed the kitchen window

New roll of butyl arrived on Fridday so we resealed the kitchen window Saturday morning. Easy peasy with butyl tape. That finishes the window that we know are leaking and it's time to start patching some holes. Bwahahahah!
Old 06-16-2016, 07:51 PM   #163

Kentucky
Decided to sell

Dear Fiberglassrv Friends, after three trips totaling 7 nights and a lot of thoughtful consideration we have decided to sell our Ziggy. This camper is just too small for us. We have worked so hard to get this scamp ready to camp we know someone will really enjoy it.

1991 16' Scamp $8,750
Layout 4
Thetford Curve Portable Toilet
Shower (currently disconnected)
New Water Pump
Side Mount A/C
New Sliding Rear Window
New Sheet Vinyl Flooring
New Kitchen Faucet
New Smart Charger
New Spare Tire and Cover
Apartment Style Refrigerator
Magic Chef 3 burner propane stove with oven
Selling because it is too small for us. Read our ad here. PM for more info or questions.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:16 PM   #164

Name: Dean
Trailer: 2005 Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Laura and Bill!

Just finished reading your posts since early May. The two of you have done amazing things with Ziggy! I wish I had 1/2 of your ingenuity.

Ziggy will be a great Scamp for someone.

Any plans on your next RV? Fiberglass? Other?

Take care,

Dean
Old 06-17-2016, 05:36 AM   #165

Kentucky
Wish List

Hi Dean!
Since Bill is so tall we are looking at taller campers of which there aren't many. We have considered Lil Snoozy and Parkliner but would like to gain some living space. Boy the prices on everything are so high! And as you know it's a challenge to get anything here in the USA. As nice as an Escape would be if I had to pay all the important and delivery fees I would just as well buy an Airstream in Ohio. We've been shopping and will continue. Fiberglass is definitely the way to go and we are pretty in love with that whole concept. So if we can find one that fits that we can afford we will definitely prefer that. If we win the lotto - it will be an Oliver!

Thanks for your note!

Laura (not Bill)
Old 06-17-2016, 11:40 PM   #166

Name: Dean
Trailer: 2005 Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Laura and Bill,

The Egg Campers (brand) offer quite a bit of interior height. They are all electric, which may or may not be a deal breaker.

Take care,

Dean
Old 06-18-2016, 06:55 AM   #167

Kentucky
Would love an Egg Camper

Hi Dean!
Thanks for your note. Yes an Egg Camper would be great. All electric doesn't bother us at all. The problem is they are not in production anymore and you can't get one. Bill talked to the owner of the company before we bought Ziggy. We would like to buy the company and keep making them but alas no lotto winnings YET . If you come across one for sale please do let us know. Escape, BigFoot, Oliver, Egg Camper would work for us.

Hope you are out camping and having a blast!
Old 06-19-2016, 11:45 AM   #168

Kentucky
More Pics

See pic of interior A/C on its new slide mount. The back end of the unit slides just outside the camper as it would be for a window mount. Bill built very good support and it works very well. Cools the camper down quickly, is quiet and even looks nice inside. I'm impressed with how well this words and best of all the condensation stays outside where it belongs.
Attached Images

Tags
external fresh water tank, for sale, rebuild, renovation, scamp, sixteen, sliding rear window