1993 Scamp 16' repair and remodel - Page 15 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-26-2016, 05:41 PM   #197

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1991 Scamp - "Ziggy"
Kentucky
Sanded the "ditches" outside in prep for body work phase

After I'd determined that the second patch "mat" was totally cured and ready, I decided to jump in and get some fiberglass work done tonight as well. Hey, it's only 92.3 outside and that ain't no reason to lay off working. Sheshhhh...so, I pulled out my drill and slapped on a orbital pad of 80 grit and hit the "ditches" of each of the patches. This was a little rough but since I'm going to be filling with short strand fiberglass filler, it'd be alright.
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2016, 05:46 PM   #198

Kentucky
You can see the from the previous picture...

that I knocked down the edges quite well as well as removing any gel coat that may inhibit the bonding process. The can from the Bondo Short Strand Fiberglass filler that I bought recommends to use multiple coats for deep holes and I figure I have some pretty deep valley's between the patch and the shell, so I'm figuring on a little extra sanding (I hate sanding) between coats of filler. Here's a picture of the depth of the seams between the patches as well as a picture of the first coat of filler. I plan on letting this first coat cure overnight, at least, before attempting to sand any of that yuch off. (YUP, I still hate sanding. Maybe you can tell.)
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2016, 06:08 PM   #199

Kentucky
Yup, that's me sanding

Sanding the high spots off the first patch job.
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2016, 02:24 AM   #200

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Bill, since you like sanding so much I'm kind of surprised you're not using something electric .
Old 07-29-2016, 08:18 AM   #201

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Bill, since you like sanding so much I'm kind of surprised you're not using something electric .
Dave, Laura told me that I had to hand sand. I have an older orbital sander from years back that I may break out and try. This is a lot of sanding...
Old 07-29-2016, 09:17 AM   #202

Name: Emily
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
But you are making such good progress and it looks great!

When I was in highschool, my dad and I restored a 1964 Falcon Convertible for me to drive. I wanted that car so bad, but the deal was that I had to help in the restoration. I cannot even tell you how many hours I spent sanding bondo by hand- and getting life lessons from my dad Loved the time I got to spend with him, but I also, HATED sanding!
Old 07-30-2016, 02:57 PM   #203

Kentucky
POWER Sanding with Black & Decker

I bought this orbital sander in 1978 and have used it less than a dozen times. I tried it once on drywall and THAT was a stinkin' mess. Almost choked to death on the dust in an enclosed space. Glad I'm working outside on this job. On the positive side; I've made four times as much progress today than I had expected and this old sander has paid for itself in productivity today!

(I still hate sanding, though.)
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2016, 05:33 PM   #204

Kentucky
What, it's hot outside, well then it time to work on Ziggy!

It's 92.1 outside this afternoon and we all know what that means don't we kiddos? It's time to get sweaty and work on the camper! Yaaaaaa!!!

And you know what we get to do today, don't you? SANDING!!! Hooraaaah!

So, I figured I might be able to finish off the glass work to seal up the exterior wall and maybe get the new section of floor tabbed in too. Well, everything went pretty smoothly including using the drywall sanding screen. And the cool thing, it's reusable! Once it get loaded with fiberglass yuch, take if off the sander, tap it out, remount and away you go! The combination of the power sander and the sanding screen made this job go soooo much faster.

I still have to finish some final sanding on a few spots but I have it up to 220 grit in most places and I want to hit everything with 320 just to ease out some orbital sanding lines. I may have a few spots to fill it but I was going snow blind by the time I quit.

You can see that I ended up putting quite a bit of fill into some areas that were quite low compared to the surrounding shell and then there's a spot where I had to sand of a substantial portion of the gel coat because that section of the shell was high

I've also included a shot of my tool cart. Laura bought this cart for me and it has turned out to be one of the best "tools" that I've ever had; makes rolling out the mess of tools that I need for a particular project simple and clean up is quick and a lot easier.

We're off to see the new Jason Bourne movie but here are a few images of both the external glass work as well as the new floor tabbed in place. (Somebody's made a dusty mess in there, whew!)
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2016, 07:26 AM   #205

Kentucky
Desiging the new bench support for the bed extension

I've been sketching the bench frame for the new bench support that will be doubling as the bed extension. I figure to have this thing knocked together this week.

My first thought was to use 2X4's to construct the frame. I may find myself redesigning the frame and working through several versions so I'm going to use what I have on hand to save money and just see how this works out.

Stay tuned for this new chapter of mods to Ziggy!
Old 08-03-2016, 07:47 PM   #206

Kentucky
bed extension/bench frame

I've fabbed up the frame for the side bench/bed extension. I believe this is the first version of this bench. It's not actually screwed in place yet and I've already figured out something that I've messed up and need to modify. If you look closely at these images, you'll notice that the height of the frame matches almost perfectly with the dinette bench. Problem is that I didn't account for the thickness of the plywood that'll be installed for the bench. It seems this is the type of problem that I always forget when producing something. I remembered in the design drawings and actually produced it correctly, with the proper height allowance but when I dry fitted the frame, it looked too short, so I took it out and removed the legs and added new legs to raise the height. (Big dope) Well, I'll have to cut those of tomorrow or the next day.

Notice that I allowed for the 45 angle cut of the dinette bench so there's no hole in the middle of the bed to fall through when you reach down to climb out of bed in the middle of the night.
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2016, 11:40 PM   #207

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Looking good Bill. Don't knock yourself for a few mistakes, that's how we learn. The few people I ever heard say they didn't make mistakes only told me they're only standing still. I remember my Dad telling me when I was around 10 years old, "don't be afraid of trying it, there's always someone that can fix it". I took that to heart and have only had to call in the cavalry twice and I learned from them what I messed up. Money well spent too .
Old 08-04-2016, 06:00 AM   #208

Kentucky
Hardware version 1.1

Dave, I consider this "problem" something I deal with regularly. You'd think I'd learn to consider it better to avoid these issues. Oh, well, I also plan to re-work this frame to include mortised joints if the basic design functions correctly. I didn't want to spend any time making the frame "better" by building it simply and getting to use it as a "proof of concept" and if all goes well, I can make it look prettier with cabinet door front or some other type of finished work.

Next step is to adjust the overall height and attach the bench seat, then the bed extension using piano hinges. We have a camping trip planned and I am working to have this modification in place for testing. Stay tuned...
Old 08-04-2016, 12:16 PM   #209

Name: BucketsGoneWild
Trailer: 2004 Scamp
Arkansas
I have just purchased the entire hinge set & am curious about your intent to relocate the hinges. Have you done that and what was the outcome.
Several years ago we replaced the ball part with no change. I was wondering about replacing the door. I have the new rubber gasket but am reluctant to do anything with that until the door warp is corrected.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:38 PM   #210

Kentucky
door hinges

Buckets, we did not move the hinges. After reviewing the issues and the fit of our door, I decided not to move the hinges, primarily because we don't see any light around our door. It should be noted that the previous owner added some foam insulation as part of the door seal, but we haven't really experienced any issues with the seal.

Tags
external fresh water tank, for sale, rebuild, renovation, scamp, sixteen, sliding rear window