1993 Scamp 16' repair and remodel - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-01-2015, 08:45 AM   #15

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1991 Scamp - "Ziggy"
Kentucky
Update on VIN issue: careful examination of the VIN stamped into the frame of the trailer shows that the frame number agrees with the title for production year and sequence number. Those numbers are very hard to read and the sticker has been painted over with black frame paint. I doubt we'll be able to uncover the sticker without permanently damaging the face of the sticker.

However, the VIN does say that the envelop/egg is supposed to have custom wood interior, which we don't have. This is not an issue to us because if we were ordering a new unit we wouldn't choose the wood interior, so, no big deal there. Except, you just gotta wonder if the envelop/egg is the original on the frame or if it was switched at any point...not that it matters anyway, but just sayin'...

So, we have the correct title for the correct trailer and now we are moving forward with the renovation, a.k.a. reno.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:51 AM   #16

Kentucky
Update on the VIN: after careful examination of the frame of the trailer we have been able to determine that the production year stated on the title is incorrect. It's gonna be fun explaining that to the County Clerk for registration. Also, one of the digits is missing from the VIN on the title; the fourth digit is supposed to include an "R" that was dropped somewhere. (Danged R, where did that thing go!? Not under the dinette...)

In addition, we can conclude that the frame matches the title and we have the correct trailer. However, we can't be certain that the envelop/egg is original because the VIN says that the cabinets are supposed to be custom wood and we have the fiberglass cabinets. We don't feel this is an issue. If we were ordering a new trailer today we wouldn't chose the wood option, so...jus' sayin...

Old 12-01-2015, 08:54 AM   #17

Kentucky
Just talked with my favorite local metal worker and he is covered up with work and not interested in working on our Scamp.

On a positive not I've located a service provider that is able and willing to replace the axle for us and they're only 50 miles away with lots of experience in this type of work on trailers and RVs. I'll need to complete some measurements this evening and fax their form back to them tomorrow...this is excellent progress.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:08 AM   #18

Kentucky
The RV service center that I'm thinking about using has faxed me this form. Their copy was terrible so I found the actual form online and will be taking measurements tonight from my Scamp. However, I was wondering if any of you would like to advise me on any specific part of this form:

http://www.trailerparts4u.com/files/...20Form%20a.pdf
Old 12-01-2015, 01:44 PM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Is there a reason why you can't take the trailer to them and let them take the measurements? They should have more experience to know exactly what to measure. And if they make a mistake, they're on the hook for the cost of the axle, not you.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:46 PM   #20

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Is there a reason why you can't take the trailer to them and let them take the measurements? They should have more experience to know exactly what to measure. And if they make a mistake, they're on the hook for the cost of the axle, not you.
Jon, that is what we'll probably do but I still want to look at the dimensions so I have a better understand of what I'll be talking about tomorrow when I call them back. Just trying to do all that I can to stay involved in the process so I am informed...
Old 12-01-2015, 05:54 PM   #21

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
However, I was wondering if any of you would like to advise me on any specific part of this form
Bill,
The diagrams in the various forms here might help.
Download Axle Forms

When I mentioned the bolt on bracket to you, I see that Dexter/Torflex calls theirs the AP bracket, Al-Ko calls theirs the SMA bracket.

Crawl under that trailer of yours one more time and you might find a tag on the axle. I found one on my trailer that was 21 years older than yours.

I second the thought of bringing the trailer to them. That way they can give you an opinion on the frame. Try giving Scamp Parts a call.
http://www.scamptrailers.com/parts-store-cat-view.html
They might be able to give you a price on a frame and/or axle. Or at least they should be able to give you the specs to order an axle locally.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:01 PM   #22

Arizona
Registry
1993 Scamp 16' repair and remodel

Makes sense... I noticed they use Torflex axles. Not sure, but I think Scamp uses Dexter or Al-Ko. If the axle arms are a different length, it may affect the attachment point on the frame.

Also, you'll need to know the original arm angle on the factory axle. You may be able to find out here, or you can call Scamp. I believe at least one forum member has upgraded to 15" wheels on a 16' Scamp. I'm not sure if that requires a different arm angle. Larger wheels and tires give you a bit more clearance and weight-carrying margin.

Last, until recently Scamp welded the axle to the frame. Now I believe they weld a mounting bracket to the frame and bolt the axle to the bracket. That may come up in your discussion with the shop.

Just some issues to think about...
Old 12-01-2015, 06:51 PM   #23

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
^ Torflex is a model line of Dexter
Old 12-01-2015, 07:40 PM   #24

Kentucky
Current Axle Tag

Here's the tag from our current axle. I crawled under the trailer in the wet dark to get this picture and then we measured the dimensions: 47" center to center of the frame and 67 5/8" from wheel face to wheel face. There's lots of information on that ol' tag. (yes, I know the pictures upside down. I was too lazy to correct this one)
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 12-04-2015, 07:14 AM   #25

Kentucky
Inspection Completed

We have successfully passed the class B inspection required by the state. I have the certification sticker and will scheduling an appointment at Central Kentucky Truck & Trailer-Service Department to have the frame inspection and to take measurements for a replacement axle. Moving ahead.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:28 PM   #26

Kentucky
Let the demo begin

We removed the ancient Sealand toilet today. That was nasty! We're switching the the Thetford cassette so we don't have to haul around a dirty old poop hose.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0583.jpg  
Old 12-06-2015, 12:59 PM   #27

Kentucky
Been wondering about the shell of our Scamp...when I look at it, I see a lot of rivet caps so I'm compelled to think about replacing each one when we try to lift the walls and support the body sag.

Specifically, should we remove all of the furniture while supporting the roof, drilling out the existing rivets, and then reinstall the furniture drilling new holes for new rivets or bolts/acorn nuts and fresh caps? Then, fill the old holes and have the shell repainted professionally.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:38 AM   #28

Arizona
Registry
Random thoughts...

How do you know the shell is sagging? If all the original cabinetry is still riveted in place and the twisty metal supports are still supporting the upper kitchen cabinets, sag should be minimal.

Unless there is a reason to remove all the cabinets, replacing loose or broken rivets is best done one at a time using the original holes.

The only reason I can think of to make all-new rivet holes and seal the old ones is because they have been loose for a while and the holes have become enlarged or distorted. And even then, I'd investigate using slightly larger diameter rivets before I'd make all new holes.

There are a number of other ways to spruce up a weathered shell short of painting.

I believe you said earlier there have been some repairs/reinforcements to the frame. That is more likely the source of shell issues, and I'd make sure the frame is solid and straight before I did anything with the shell or rivets.

Tags
external fresh water tank, for sale, rebuild, renovation, scamp, sixteen, sliding rear window