1993 Scamp 16' repair and remodel - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2016, 05:53 PM   #101

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Ok, time for the next part of the project but we'll be moving in about six different directions at once over the next three/four weeks so y'all better pay close attention if you want to see what happens. It's gonna get nuts, I'm tellin' ya...
Old 03-20-2016, 06:12 PM   #102

Kentucky
Registry
Progressive Dynamics Charge Controller PD4045KV

At the recommendation of several people on here I have selected and purchased the subject "Mighty Mini" All In One Charge Controller for AC/DC distribution panel.

I have pulled the kitchen cabinet out, including the sink as well as all the wiring for the water pump. We'll be rewiring those right now here in a minute. Also, we'll be rewiring all the interior lights as well as the porch light.

However, I need a little advice from you wiring wizards, please. From what I can tell, using my very limited understanding of 12v wiring and the little information that I can find online using various resources, all the 12v DC systems are only two wires (black/white) unlike the three wires of AC. Is this right?

If I have properly decoded the existing wiring inside Ziggy, we have one run of 12v DC power direct from the battery all around the perimeter of the cabin for all the interior elements of the 12v system.

To properly install the subject charge controller, I need to run larger gauge leads from the batter to the charge controller and then use the 12v wires provided from inside the controller to feed the various legs of the system.

To begin, I figure on using the existing wiring harness to connect to the lights. Once I have everything back up and running, I can use the old wires as "fish tape" to pull the new wires through behind the elephant skin.

Whadyathink?
Old 03-20-2016, 06:16 PM   #103

Kentucky
Registry
Everything including the kitchen sink

We've pulled the cabinet from the kitchen and I am planning on replacing the plumbing lines including the kitchen faucet because the existing facet won't allow you to get a pot/pan of any size under the facet. I have already purchased a new facet set as well as the new water lines that will be used to re-plumb the kitchen.

Of course, we're going to loose the water heater for the immediate future, but most of you said that you don't use the shower, that would require hot water, anyway and we can always get hot water from the camp fire or our Sunbeam Hot Shot for small jobs.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:18 PM   #104

Kentucky
Registry
Wash-n-wax please

We'll be using a light duty buffer to remove the hazing and oxidation as part of the Meguiar's Fiberglass Restoration System that should put the shine back on Ziggy! This is gonna be a big job on a tiny trailer/RV.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:21 PM   #105

Kentucky
Registry
Shady Boy Awning has arrived

After we finish the wash and wax we'll install the new Shady Boy Awning. I unboxed the new awning and I can tell right away that this is a quality product. We're looking forward to getting to use this!
Old 03-20-2016, 06:24 PM   #106

Kentucky
Registry
Sliding Rear Window

Our new sliding rear window is on order but we're not looking for that to arrive four at least four more weeks, according to Scamp. That'll fit good with our work schedule because we'll be finishing all the other renovations about that time and maybe even have the garden beds cleaned and planted.

Laura has already cleaned and repainted the steel wheels from both side of the trailer/RV so we're moving forward with determination!
Old 03-28-2016, 07:00 AM   #107

Kentucky
Registry
Electrical Nightmares

We spent over ten hours working on replacing the electrical breaker box installing the Progressive Dynamics 4045 smart charger this weekend and it was a harrowing experience; still not completed.

This unit is notorious for terrible installation instructions and I can confirm that issue. There is one line for the total installation instructions that tells you to basically "install using proper connections." Well, no kidding...

After examining the interior of Ziggy for almost and hour and discussing different potential locations for the new box we decided to mount the smart charger under the front sofa in the center section of the storage area, sacrificing that storage area with the hope of better battery management. I built a installation frame from 2X4s and screwed this new framing to the flooring behind the center access door of the sofa. Well, actually, we removed the sofa for the job to clean the area as well as afford better access to the wiring job that would be required. I've decided to retain the old break box as a junction box under the sink that will feed the A/C as well as the 110 outlet on that side of the cabin.

This job is taking a lot longer that I had anticipated but the results should be excellent. We're updating the plumbing under the sink while we have that cabinet removed as well.

We'll post up picture of the progress of this upgrade as soon as I get the images sorted and resized for online viewing. Spring is in the air and we're gonna be ready to go camping in less that two weeks!
Old 03-28-2016, 06:06 PM   #108

Kentucky
Registry
Almost completed the Progressive Dynamics Smart Charger installation

Well, I've finished most of the PD4045 installation. The problems we were having were directly relating to my lack of common sense understanding of the missing components of the box as shipped from the manufacturer. This afternoon, at lunch, I went back to Lowe's and bought three more 15amp breakers for the circuits inside the box for the shore power legs of the system.

I have wired the 12v DC circuits and half the cabin lights are working now. I have some 12v wiring issues to complete when I re-install the water pump for the kitchenette and that should complete the 12v system for lights on both sides of the cabin.

I have one circuit installed for the 110v outlets in the cabin and I intend to install another separate circuit for the A/C but I've run out of daylight today so I'll be getting at that step of the project tomorrow. I'll also replace the yellow wire ties with black ties to dress up the installation because the yellow ties look stupid, even if they do the job of holding the wires up & out of the way.

I'm feeling pretty good about this project because I've figured out how to read a multi-meter and have figured out where the problems were with my initial installation, and Laura was instrumental in helping solve he major part of the problem with how I had wired the output of the circuits.

Onward!
Old 03-28-2016, 06:54 PM   #109

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Bill and Laura,

Wow! I felt good about my electrical work on our Casita that involved replacing the propane gas detector, a crimping tool, and connectors! VERY IMPRESSIVE work that you are doing. Looks like Ziggy will be ready to camp soon!

Take care,

Dean
Old 03-28-2016, 07:31 PM   #110

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
I'm following along -- I'm especially interested in how your ShadyBoy works out, and how you decide to mount it. I've been eyeing one for our Scamp 16.
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:32 AM   #111

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
Well, I've finished most of the PD4045 installation. The problems we were having were directly relating to my lack of common sense understanding of the missing components of the box as shipped from the manufacturer. This afternoon, at lunch, I went back to Lowe's and bought three more 15amp breakers for the circuits inside the box for the shore power legs of the system.
Glad you're working the install out. Bob Miller would have had you squared away in no time...he was the PD4045 king.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:24 AM   #112

Kentucky
Registry
Many thanks

We appreciate your kind comments. Thanks for stopping by and checking on our progress. Dave, Bob Miller was and continues to be instrumental in resolving our issues. I have researched the help he provided others to wrestle this problem to the ground and I credit both Bob and my wife for clarifying the issues that allowed me to complete this task.

I installed the third circuit for the A/C last night and now we're looking at swapping the four pin connector for the seven pin to enable our trailer brakes. I'll be shopping at Keller's RV Supply in Somerset, KY this Saturday to find out if they have the connector in stock.

This electrical job is about half done but I won't be replacing all of the wiring right now. That'll be relegated to the list of ongoing projects. We just want to be ready for camping, SOON.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:24 PM   #113

Kentucky
Registry
Leak check - water, water everywhere...

Finished most of the electrical systems and re-connecting the old water pump. Leak check this afternoon was a disaster and we had water everywhere. Seems like the main seals on the pump are shot so we'll be replacing that pump, probably the original from 1991 with a new one. Cleaned that mess up and discussed a new pump as well as the connector to the tow vehicle. We'll need to make another trip to Keller's in Somerset for additional parts. Onward!
Old 04-11-2016, 10:45 AM   #114

Kentucky
Registry
New pump in hand; I'll be installing the new water pump tonight unless we have some major storms. I also have the new 7 pin pig-tail to wire into the main harness and will be connecting that as well.

Next will the Shady Boy, scheduled for later this week...stay tuned.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:59 PM   #115

Kentucky
Registry
Well, the new pump is installed but I almost ruined the fittings by cross threading the water lines when I tried to connect the fresh water inlet to the pump. Almost, but not quite. We haven't pressure tested the new fittings but I am optimistic.

I have also installed the new 7 pin plug to attach to the tow vehicle and all the lights are working to the new smart charger. I still have to install the 7 pin female plug on the Jeep as our tow vehicle and then add the brake controller but I don't think that'll be too tough considering what we've already gone through to complete the other parts of this electric rework.

I still hope to get the Shady Boy this week.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:53 PM   #116

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Bill & Laura,

WOW. You two are amazing!

Dean
Old 04-13-2016, 06:42 AM   #117

Kentucky
Registry
Projects remaining to be completed

Dean, I've been redirected from the A/C unit to the sliding back window. I'm planning on cutting the lawn tonight and then unboxing the new slider to take a look at the complexity of installing the new window.

I've been studying the A/C install for some time and it seems to be "a little" complicated. My plans are to construct a wooden frame to carry the weight of the A/C unit and use foam panels for insulation in the closet to build the ducting for ventilation.

I also want to get the Shady Boy Awning installed this week because I'm anxious to see that one completed. I'm feeling real good about the electrical stuff that has finally been finished. Watch, now that I've said that, something terrible will happen to smack me back down.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:07 PM   #118

Kentucky
Registry
Ok, just chatting with Laura and we have the newest idea from the expert source on our work crew: why not mount the A/C unit on drawer slides and slide the entire A/C unit outside to stop against the outer shell of the Scamp while in use and slide back inside while traveling? Then all the exhaust as well as the cool air intake is outside while functioning as it was intended...just seems like a simple solution to the plenum issue. What do you think?
Old 04-14-2016, 09:44 AM   #119

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
1993 Scamp 16' repair and remodel

I believe I've seen that solution on a soft-top tent trailer- I looked at the Quicksilver line from Livin Lite before I landed my Scamp. Aliner and other A-frame folding trailers might do that too, as they lack a flat roof to mount a roof AC.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:19 PM   #120

Kentucky
Registry
Rear Sliding Window installed

I popped the old plexiglass window out and screwed the new rear slider into place using butyl tape and it fit like a glove. A single strip of tape and the screws seem to set real well with just the smallest amount of tape squeezed out pretty evenly all the way around.

I don't give you a nickle for that old plexiglass window, despite it being almost new. That thing was flimsy and pretty light weight.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Tags
all electric, bed extension, bumper mount spare, external fresh water tank, extra overhead cabinets, rebuild, renovation, scamp, sixteen, sliding rear window, thetford casette toilet