1993 Scamp 16' repair and remodel - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-03-2016, 07:23 PM   #71

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
I immediately imagined that tire pulling loose from the one remaining mount bolt and bouncing down the road at 55 mph. Not going to be a problem for us because our new tire mount is really cool and very reliable.

!
How is the dumper mount attached? Just to the dumper as in the photo?
If you did not do some serious reinforcement to the dumper to the main frame, it may not be as reliable as you may think as the factory dumper is not meant/designed to take that weight

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:00 PM   #72

Name: Dean
Trailer: 2005 Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe
Kentucky
Registry
Gosh, the flooring is absolutely beautiful!!!

Old 01-03-2016, 10:05 PM   #73

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
If you did not do some serious reinforcement to the dumper to the main frame, it may not be as reliable as you may think as the factory dumper is not meant/designed to take that weight
Have to agree with you Carol, they just don't make dumpers like they used to .
Old 01-04-2016, 11:38 AM   #74

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1991 Scamp - "Ziggy"
Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Carol, do you mean the "bumper"? I imagine it can handle the weight of the spare tire since the rear bumper has the receiver for the hitch mount that would afford the ability to add a bike rack or some other accessory The slight weight of the spare tire and mount shouldn't be too much. I estimate that the mount and the tire/wheel combination weighs less that 100 lbs and a representative from Scamp informed me that their rear bumper mount and sustain about 300 lbs. So, we're ok. Thanks for your input.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:52 AM   #75

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Installing the Scamp receiver hitch requires the addition of a frame cross member under the rear of the cabin. The receiver tube is welded to the frame member as well as the bumper. I ordered and installed the hitch receiver kit from Scamp according to their instructions, and the extra frame member caught me by surprise, too. The website description forgot to mention that little detail... I'm with Carol on this one. I don't think the bumper alone is stout enough to support a spare tire mount.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:57 AM   #76

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Remember the 'lever principle'.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:42 PM   #77

Arizona
Registry
1993 Scamp 16' repair and remodel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Remember the 'lever principle'.
Actually, it seems to me the lever principle works in favor of a spare tire versus a bicycle rack of equal weight, since the bicycles hang out further from the bumper. Still, I think either requires additional attachment to the frame.

Bicycle racks have been reported to cause towing stability issues (i.e., sway ) if overall loading, balance, and tongue weight are not managed carefully. Moving the spare tire 6"-12" further rearward, plus the weight of the mounting set-up (whatever you come up with), could do the same. Bottom line is that with a small, lightweight trailer, little changes can have a proportionally greater impact on stability.

There is a company (Orbital??) that makes a receiver that bolts directly to the frame of Casitas and Scamps, bypassing the bumper altogether. If it can support a couple of bikes, it might also be able to support a spare tire mount. If I had a do-over, I'd have gone that route. Perhaps you could mount the upright post from an old bicycle rack into the bolt-on receiver, and attach the spare tire to the front of the post (between the post and the cabin). That would keep the weight forward. Just thinking out loud here...
Old 01-04-2016, 03:12 PM   #78

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
There is a company (Orbital??) that makes a receiver that bolts directly to the frame of Casitas and Scamps, bypassing the bumper altogether.
Actually the Orbital receiver also is attached to the bumper, on the Scamps.
Attached Images

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:28 PM   #79

Kentucky
I called Scamp

and they informed me that the hitch for my year would support up to 300 lbs. Now, before y'all flame me for saying, "well, they told me...," let me say that this was a factory installed bumper and hitch assembly as far as I can tell.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:18 PM   #80

Arizona
Registry
Bill, I certainly didn't mean to flame you and I'm truly sorry it came across that way.

I did not understand that you already have a factory installed receiver, which I assume has the additional frame reinforcement and attachment. So, as long as you factor in some extra weight on the back as you load the trailer, I see no problem with going ahead and using the receiver to mount the spare tire. I do like the idea of keeping it as close to the back of the trailer as possible.

Donna, thanks for the clarification regarding the Orbital set-up.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:35 PM   #81

Kentucky
Jon, no apology necessary. I wasn't speaking to you directly, but I know sometimes, issues become inflamed on forums. No one is out of line here because we are just sharing and caring.

I'm glad to have input from any and all that care to post. I can't possibly live long enough to learn everything that is out there learn all by myself so I value everyone's input from which to learn.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:30 PM   #82

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Carol, do you mean the "bumper"? I imagine it can handle the weight of the spare tire since the rear bumper has the receiver for the hitch mount that would afford the ability to add a bike rack or some other accessory The slight weight of the spare tire and mount shouldn't be too much. I estimate that the mount and the tire/wheel combination weighs less that 100 lbs and a representative from Scamp informed me that their rear bumper mount and sustain about 300 lbs. So, we're ok. Thanks for your input.
As Jon mentioned the receiver for the bike mount on mine is bolted to the bumper but more importantly it goes all the way back under the trailer and has a major connecting cross piece that is bolted into the trailers main frame in 4 spots ...... but if Scamp says the bumper on a 23 year old trailer can handle 300lbs I hope for your sake they are right!
Old 01-04-2016, 07:46 PM   #83

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Carol, do you mean the "bumper"? .
Yup I sure did.... teach me to try and type with a small phone and no glasses! Lets just hope Scamp is right and its not a dumper !

BTW I was looking at your photo of the bumper and I see a long thin piece welded to the bumper that I do not recall seeing before. Did you add that as reinforcement?
Old 01-05-2016, 12:14 PM   #84

Kentucky
New door hinges arrived from Scamp today. I know what my weekend project is gonna be...

Tags
external fresh water tank, for sale, rebuild, renovation, scamp, sixteen, sliding rear window