I've lurked here for quite a while, taking your suggestions and working diligently on my 13' Scamp
. I figured it was time to talk a little about the work I've done on it.
Some background: my wife, Sarah, and I bought the Scamp
in 2013 after my grandfather passed away and left me a little money. We named it in his honor. This little guy is named Kermit. He was very well-cared-for, and was basically a stock model except for a mini fridge
that the previous owner installed.
When we bought it, I was overzealous and misguided and really messed up some of my initial work, including some dumb spray painting
mistakes and sloppy work with the trim. After wallowing in self-pity for a couple of years, I decided to make it my spring project to right my wrongs and possibly make some other changes. In the time between, Sarah and I became new parents to a lovely little girl who turned 1 back in January.
We are teachers and never plan to be full-timers in the Scamp
. We won't ever use battery
power or cook big meals in it. We want a camper that we can, on short notice, hop in and go. We have summers off of teaching, so this has the potential to happen quite frequently. We took Kermit out for Memorial Day, and as I was cleaning, I decided to provide a list and pictures of what I've done so far. Here we go!
-removed carpet, repaired (previously unknown) sub-floor rot under dinette, re-sealed entire sub-floor and placed down new vinyl tile and hand-stained trim. Stripped, sealed, and waxed new floor.
-repaired window seal leaks
, including the one that caused the aforementioned rot.
-painted cabinets and cabinet doors. Marine gloss black for cabinets, some leftover house paint
for the doors.
-cut the middle piece out of the front kitchen cabinet for more storage options. Replaced with a door from a salvage yard that, interestingly, had the same hinges as the Scamp!
-cut a new access panel for the storage below front bench. Repurposed the old kitchen cabinet door.
-installed PVC shelves in closet. Below shelves, found a Walmart mesh laundry bag that fit perfectly in the space below.
-made a new, shorter table to open up the space and make it easier to get in and out of dinette. Also cut a panel to use for the bed. Eventually, this will be hinged.
-installed new door seal, self-stick copper piping insulation did the trick.
-literally on Friday night, got inspired to use up some leftover wood and hardware to build a panel for my power strip and a cover for the stove to expand counter space. That power strip is from 1998, but it's literally one of two gifts my big brother gave me as an adult before he passed away in 2010, so it stays until it stops working.
New small table with view of new floor
PVC shelving in closet. One more panel installs flush with the bottom opening, and lifts to reveal a laundry bag.
Kitchen area with view of stove cover and power strip mount. I used the metal pieces on the stove cover because I wanted to make sure it was level.
New kitchen cabinet door. It doesn't quite fit, but I'll be adding a panel to fix that.
Front bench with view of new storage panel door.
Detail of power strip mount. I'll paint
this and the stove cover eventually.
Thanks to so many of you for your wonderful ideas and inspiration. I've learned to do many things for this project that I had never done before. It's always a learning experience, and I'm proud to share it with you.
Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV