1998 Wide Body Burro ground up rebuild - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-08-2014, 12:10 PM   #57
Name: Jim
Trailer: 1998 14" Burro WB
Burro Project

I gutted my wiring on my Burro. I am particular on electrical and hated the rat's nest that existed in mine. So, I started from scratch. After a lot of research on this and other forums I decided on the PD4045. Others were so happy with theirs that I figured I would be fine.
The first thing I did when my 4045 arrived was to ring out the wires and label them with wire markers. Markers are small adhesive strips with numbers on them. This way when I installed my circuits I would just write the number down and know what circuit it went on.
I used most of the circuits. I mapped out my electric and am assuming I will not be adding more circuits. I broke my circuits down into zones on my Burro. I know it is a small area but this helps in a couple ways. First if I blow a fuse in the rear lights and all my lights are on one circuit then I am in total darkness. So, I put the front lights on a different circuit than the rear.
Second if I have a problem on a circuit by way of it blowing fuses I have fewer places to check to find the problem.
I also used 3/8 pex water supply pipe as conduit. I hated when I would put things in my little cubby holes and they would come in contact with the trailer wires. I used two sided tape that they use to hold outside rear view mirrors on and some plastic clips to hold my pex. It worked out great as the 3/8 is very flexible and it went around the curves in the body without any trouble.
I also ordered all new LED lights off Ebay. Total draw on a double light is .3 watts.
I am right now in the process of getting the 12v supply back to the converter. I have the AC supply in. I replaced the ac side with a new Marinco Plug that screws on. When I pulling the old cable out it ripped the cover right off the Burro. I am at lunch now. When I get home tonight I will post some pics.

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail - Emerson
jetalkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #58
Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Thanks for the great response Jim. As I stated in a previous post, it appears that the PO just stubbed off the whole wiring loom under the front corner of the cabinets, about where it would have dropped through the floor being replaced at the time. Further, it appears that the Original Owner wired it up according to the diagram in the old Burro instruction book, so if it hasn't been too badly altered in the intervening 31 years, I may be able to splice on a front loom and call it good. It appears that all of the AC wiring is and always was separate from the DC wiring loom and it should be pretty simple to get that back like it should be. Then on to "prettification" with the roof carpet strip, the new curtains, etc. I've almost completely decided against replacing the missing tri-power fridge, and the jury is still out on the little two burner stove, although a kind member on this board gifted me a perfectly good one to match the missing original.

The adventure continues!

Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:43 PM   #59
Name: Jim
Trailer: 1998 14" Burro WB
I left out my two burner to give more counter top. I do a lot of my cooking outside, unless it gets below 40. I kept my 3 way fridge. Of all the things I have struggled with when camping it is always having access to ice for coolers. I boondock quite a bit and it seems I am always a long way from the nearest ice. So, I added a second propane tank to the front and got my fridge working on all three. I will only use the 12v on the road. I pack most things frozen or really cold to help out the fridge anyway. At home I plug in the 110 a couple days ahead to give it a head start. That has always work in all our campers.

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail - Emerson
jetalkington is offline   Reply With Quote