1st Anniversary Trillium mods review - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2009, 07:39 AM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
This week we are celebrating our 1st anniversary as owners of a 1978 Trillium 1300. And it's been quite a first year. Several thousand miles of great travel experiences, including 4 rallies, at which we met a lot of great folks and got some helpful tips and advice.

In this first year we have completed some major (for us) modifications to the Trillium, most of them this summer. I would like to thank the FGRV Forum in general for a lot of great information; and in particular I want to thank Steve, Ed, Floyd, Jim and PeterH for their time and interest in my projects and their inspiration.

We've removed: the bunk; the furnace, furnace vent grate, the refrigerator, old door lock latch, 110v plug hatch, vent, and carpet.

The first thing we did was have electric brakes installed, along with new plug and controller. Then, I used PoliGlow prep and 5 coats of PoliGlow to restore the shine. After our winter trip it was time for new tires. Then, after a vent pull-chain failure at a rally in May, we had a Fantastic Vent fan with rain sensor installed. This summer I got ambitious and made these mods: enlarged the opening where the furnace vent was and installed a 13" X 17" hatch (followed PeterH's fine instructions & pictorial on that one); installed 30 amp breaker box w/2 15 amp circuit breakers; wired existing circuit (3 outlets) to first 15 amp breaker; installed new circuit for one indoor and one outside outlet, connected to second breaker; cut opening for outside outlet and installed GFI outlet; disconnected converter from the line and installed new plug on converter wire and plugged into exising outlet; ran 30 amp wiring from Marinco plug receptacle to breaker box; installed Marinco 30 amp plug receptacle where old 110v hatch was; built shelf and boxed it in for access from new hatch; installed new Allure flooring; installed new stainless steel door lock clasp. While I was doing those things, dw fabricated all new curtains, pillow cases, bed spread.

I have photos of most steps of destruction and reconstruction, so if anyone has an interest in seeing photos of one or more of these modifications, let me know and I'll post them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Our_1978_Trillium_1300.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	23264

Looking forward to year two!

MarvonW
Old 09-08-2009, 10:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler
I would love to see some pictures.
Thanks..
Steve Jurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Thanks..
Steve,

Here's a little slide show of some of the mods I described. This might take two or three posts, we'll see.

....MarvonW
Attached Thumbnails
Fridge_about_to_go.jpg   Cutting_Fridge_screws.jpg  

Fridge_gone2.jpg   Furnace_about_to_go.jpg  

Fridge_gone.jpg   Hatch_paint_prep1.jpg  

Old 09-09-2009, 07:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Thanks..
Part 2
Attached Thumbnails
Hatch_insulated.jpg   Hatch_cut_outline.jpg  

Hatch_frame_glueup1.jpg   Butyl_tape_on_hatch_edge.jpg  

Hatch_prep_closeup2.jpg   Hatch_installed4.jpg  

Shore_power_connected.jpg  
Old 09-09-2009, 08:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Thanks..
Part 3
Attached Thumbnails
New_storage3.jpg   Outside_outlet_from_inside.jpg  

Outside_outlet_completed3.jpg   Inside_outlet_from_front.jpg  

Junction_box1.jpg   Breaker_box_prep3.jpg  

Breaker_box_completed1.jpg   New_floor1.jpg  

Old 09-10-2009, 05:55 AM   #6

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Marv

That is already some set of mods!
I remember the first time I meet you as I pulled in to Shak-attack ,you were on the roof messing with that chain.

Can you come down here and show me exactly how to get that kind of shine on my trailers too?

Oh and what do you mean "if" we want to see pics????

Best to both of you.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:55 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Pictures are worth a thousand words. My, my you've accomplished a lot in one year. Thanks for sharing!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:45 PM   #8

Trailer: Trillium
Nice work! What did you replace the original fridge with?
Mike
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:58 AM   #9

Sorry for delay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B. View Post
Nice work! What did you replace the original fridge with?
Mike
Sorry for tardiness of reply. Haven't been watching the forum regularly lately. We did not replace fridge. Use the space to hide a port-a-potty. We now use a Coleman AC/DC cooler/warmer for our chilling needs. Got it off of Craigslist for $10.00. Works like a charm! I keep it in the car plugged in to DC socket while driving; then switch to trailer DC while camping. Handled all we needed last winter for two months on the road.
Marv Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:35 PM   #10

Name: Larry & Joyce
Trailer: 1974 Trillium 1300
Fergus Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv Watson View Post
Sorry for tardiness of reply. Haven't been watching the forum regularly lately. We did not replace fridge. Use the space to hide a port-a-potty. We now use a Coleman AC/DC cooler/warmer for our chilling needs. Got it off of Craigslist for $10.00. Works like a charm! I keep it in the car plugged in to DC socket while driving; then switch to trailer DC while camping. Handled all we needed last winter for two months on the road.

Your trailer looks Great! We painted ours, because it was in poor shape, but if it looked as good as yours, never would have painted it. We plan to keep ours for a LONG time. We've been asked to sell it many times. So, hope you'll keep yours too.
Larry Tenhage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:19 PM   #11

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Marv, great looking trailer. I like the modificatoins you've done. I also did the hatch cover add under the seat, it makes this area much more accesable.
DannyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #12

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Registry
Thanks for the pictures, I had been thinking of the exterior electrical plug but with so many other reno ideas floating around it got lost in the shuffle! Thanks for the reminder!

Tags
trillium