2 week burro makeover - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2017, 10:59 PM   #1

Name: george
Trailer: 1998 burro 17'
Texas
2 week burro makeover

6 months ago ago I had plenty of time but between house painting, vintage air install in my Alfa and mucho honey-do's, June 6 is nearly here. I am going to Lucerne dry lake bed, California, for rocstock, a high power rocketry event. My son in Sunnyvale, cal is meeting me there. I am leaving from Houston, tx. I had previously repaired a section of floor rot, cutting it out and patching but had a bare floor. Also pulled and gave away dorm fridge that was in it. Plans are new water resistant laminate, installing engel st or d or something 70 12v fridge. Also sanded down and repainted tongue, new front jack after cutting off welded old unit, new 49" x 15" x 15" aluminum front box for storage and new twin golf cart batteries. New stereo, speakers, rear antenna mast, re pack wheel bearings. No sweat, that's what the last minute is for
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0169.jpg   IMG_0171.jpg  

IMG_0167.jpg   IMG_0168.jpg  

george w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:03 PM   #2

Texas
Forgot to add this is a 1998 burro widebody. Attached storage box to box tubing frame using nutserts with stainless bolts
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0166.jpg   IMG_0170.jpg  

Old 05-29-2017, 06:30 AM   #3

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
So are you all electric now 12v/120v?
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:35 AM   #4

Texas
No, still have propane cooktop and water heater. Just haven't mounted propane tank mount yet
Old 05-30-2017, 03:37 PM   #5

Texas
Floor is mostly in, a few edge pieces to cut. I am using pergo outlast in pewter oak. It is supposed to be water resistant but we shall see in the long run. The propane tank mount is on although I still want another brace for support. Tomorrow the engel sb70 12v fridge goes in. Dang it's getting hot here
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0172.jpg   IMG_0173.jpg  

IMG_0174.jpg   IMG_0175.jpg  

Old 05-31-2017, 12:12 PM   #6

Name: mary
Trailer: 2000 17' Burro
California
Looks like all new plywood. I am a new owner of a Burro and found a soft spot on the floor. Removed the carpet and planned to lay new plywood over top to accept vinyl smoothly but need to address the soft spot. You say you did a repair so I'm curious about how you did the repair and the appearance in your photos of all new plywood. Can you elaborate. Thanks
meryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:06 PM   #7

Texas
No problem. I had a soft spot about 12" square in front of the fridge. I think the previous owner ( s ) had left the vent open directly overhead, no leaks otherwise. I drilled a series of 1" holes through the top fiberglass to expose the core. I dug out all the rotted wood I could then set fans and a heater on it for 2 months or so. It was bone dry then. I used a half gallon of smiths penetrating epoxy that has the consistency of water that I poured into cavity, raising and lowering the nose of the trailer letting the e proxy soak in. After that set I used a regular epoxy plus filler, to fill the voids. 3/8" plywood was laid over everything to help level a rediculously lumpy floor. I generously used a subfloor adhesive between the glass and plywood to fill gaps between. After screwing down the perimeter I let the mess cure for a couple of days before I laid down the laminate. Finally, fairly level floor
Old 05-31-2017, 01:11 PM   #8

California
great info! thank you.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:53 PM   #9

Texas
Almost done. New wheel bearings, some rust and water in old ones, floor done except trim which I will do later. New battery box with dual golf car batteries plus charger and new engel fridge installed and working great. All that is left is to put in a stereo system and outside antenna and clean it up
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0182.jpg   IMG_0180.jpg  

IMG_0178.jpg   IMG_0181.jpg  

Old 06-15-2017, 09:58 AM   #10

Texas
3400 miles and back home, no trouble. Very high winds shut down rocket flights at Lucerne dry lake bed so we went Joshua tree national park for a couple of days. Engel fridge was amazing, very cold at the number 3 setting and the batteries never discharged very far. I think if I cranked it up to 5 it would be a freezer. I did remove the front jack and replace it with a swing up jack in Austin due to unforeseen clearance issues, otherwise all was well
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0203.jpg   IMG_0202.jpg  

IMG_0082.jpg  
Old 06-15-2017, 10:29 AM   #11

California
Sounds like a great trip! Just finishing some of our mods and am so grateful for posts like yours, it has really helped with our education process. Our Burro did not come with factory installed AC. I see you have a rooftop unit. Did you have it installed or did it come with and how do you like it? Also, I'm want to add shelves in the wardrobe but do not want to drill holes. Any suggestions for adhering shelf clips where a shelf could be added that could handle some weight. Want to use it for a pantry.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:15 AM   #12

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
If you want to add shelves without drilling holes, you could either fiberglass in some wood strips to support the shelves, or use Liquid Nails to glue the wood strips in place.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:50 AM   #13

California
Thank you so much. Been searching for what type of adhesive would work that would hold up to the weight of canned goods and such on the shelf.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:59 PM   #14

Texas
I want to put shelves there too but ran out of time. My ac was a factory install. Biggest complaint is nearly impossible to get to storage when beds are made. I have some rv hatch doors in sizes I think will work to convert to outside access
Old 06-15-2017, 06:50 PM   #15

California
While we haven't actually used our trailer yet, still a work in progress with maiden voyage scheduled over the 4th, I anticipated the problem accessing the storage under the bed and since our we plan is to keep that in the bed position we needed to create storage opportunities. Since my dinette table was shot when we got it, I took the bed "leaf" which was laminated like the table, and cut that down to replace the table trimming it out with laminate edging. Looks like new. For the bed "leaf" we picked up an off cut at home depot ($5) of particle board and made a new leaf slicing it in half and hinging it so it would be easy to flip up to access the built in storage. For everyday storage, I picked up large plastic bins (a pack of 3 at costco for $15) with lids that will be stored under the bed with probably mostly clothing, extra towels, etc. I think I'll save that built in under the bed storage for items not used on a regular basis. That's why I wanted to turn that closet into a pantry. Figured we won't be needing hanging space, the trailer isn't for that kind of living for us. It'll be more jean and t-shirt days!
Old 06-15-2017, 09:09 PM   #16

Texas
Sounds good to me. One thing I would add for sure are restraints front and rear under the beds for storage tubs. After the laminate install every time I stopped and checked in the trailer all the bins would have slid forward. Didn't have that issue with carpet!
Old 06-15-2017, 10:31 PM   #17

California
I actually put those non slip carpet pads under mine on the floor for when we're driving and can just roll up for easy in out when we're parked. Well see how it works.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:53 PM   #18

Name: Pete
Trailer: Burro Wide Body 17ft.
Nebraska
I have an "86" wide body. Did yours already have the screen door on it, or do you know where I could find one?
Pete J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:57 PM   #19

California
Actually I have a widebody as well. It did not have a screen door when we purchased it. It did have the hinges for a screen door but I have been unable to find one or even instructions on how to DIY adore. So I purchased a lux screen curtain online via Amazon and cut it down to size really turned out nice
Old 06-29-2017, 06:59 PM   #20

Name: Pete
Trailer: Burro Wide Body 17ft.
Nebraska
Are those the magnetic curtains you are talking about? If possible, could you post a photo of the set up of your screen curtain?
Pete J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro