2001 Scamp Cabinet Mods - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-07-2009, 03:06 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Matt Brown's Avatar
 
Trailer: 2001 16 ft Scamp
Posts: 9
I have been a lurker for about a year on this board and have gotten many helpful ideas. Thank you to everyone who posts.

The back cabinets on my Scamp have always bothered me. All of the cabinets are fiberglass except the two in the dining area, so I decided to make them white. I used 1/8 hardboard covered with a white semi-gloss surface and just refaced them. I covered the edges with aluminum "L" and now I have a much cleaner look. As many of you know, one project leads to another, so I am now working on making new cabinet doors. Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG00027_20090322_1620_copy.jpg   IMG00029_20090324_2318_copy.jpg  

IMG00052_20090406_2109_copy.jpg   IMG00054_20090406_2110.jpg  

__________________

__________________
Matt Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:42 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Don N's Avatar
 
Name: Don
Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17'
Ontario
Posts: 220
Matt, I like the aluminum around the cabinet. It sets it off nicely and gives it a completely different look.
__________________

__________________
Don N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:10 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
james kent's Avatar
 
Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Posts: 2,938
That looks good.
You are now officially hooked!!!!
__________________
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
I like the aluminum trim as well. It compliments the puck lights!
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:29 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Roy in TO's Avatar
 
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Posts: 4,954
I agree Donna. What kind of puck lights are they Matt?
__________________
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:56 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Matt Brown's Avatar
 
Trailer: 2001 16 ft Scamp
Posts: 9
Quote:
I agree Donna. What kind of puck lights are they Matt?
They are Sylania Dot-it lights. They use have adhesive on the back which doesn't work. I ended up using some 3M mounting tape to get them to stay on. I got them at Home Depot for about $7 each. They are not the brightest lights out there and they have a bluish cast, but they work well for reading.
__________________
Matt Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:23 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Quote:
I have been a lurker for about a year on this board and have gotten many helpful ideas. Thank you to everyone who posts.

The back cabinets on my Scamp have always bothered me. All of the cabinets are fiberglass except the two in the dining area, so I decided to make them white. I used 1/8 hardboard covered with a white semi-gloss surface and just refaced them. I covered the edges with aluminum "L" and now I have a much cleaner look. As many of you know, one project leads to another, so I am now working on making new cabinet doors. Here are some pics.
Matt I like what you did. I have the same set up and also do not like the back cabinets. What kind of paint did you use to cover them?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:10 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Matt Brown's Avatar
 
Trailer: 2001 16 ft Scamp
Posts: 9
Hi Carol,
They are not actually painted. I used a product at the Home Depot that is used for lining showers. It is 1/8" hardboard covered with a hard semi-gloss coating that looks a lot like the fiberglass finish does. I made cardboard templates, cut it out and screwed the hardboard directly to the old cabinets. It completely changed the look of the back of the trailer. If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to help.

Quote:
Matt I like what you did. I have the same set up and also do not like the back cabinets. What kind of paint did you use to cover them?
__________________
Matt Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:57 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Quote:
Hi Carol,
They are not actually painted. I used a product at the Home Depot that is used for lining showers. It is 1/8" hardboard covered with a hard semi-gloss coating that looks a lot like the fiberglass finish does. I made cardboard templates, cut it out and screwed the hardboard directly to the old cabinets. It completely changed the look of the back of the trailer. If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to help.
Thanks Matt, what a cool idea. Would never have thought of that!
__________________

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
scamp


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1981 Scamp 13' Mods BruceG Modifications, Alterations and Updates 11 05-25-2010 05:06 PM
Need your cabinet door ideas/mods Vickie B. Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 12 09-21-2009 09:39 AM
TAKEN - Scamp Wood-Look Upper Cabinet peterh Classified Archives 1 07-12-2007 09:58 AM
Scamp Cabinet Door Material? Chandler Modifications, Alterations and Updates 2 07-23-2006 11:00 AM
Byron's Mods to a new Scamp 13' Byron Kinnaman Modifications, Alterations and Updates 7 01-25-2006 06:57 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.