2015 13' Scamp - cabinet door removal - hard? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2018, 10:00 PM   #1

Name: Judy
Trailer: 13' Scamp "La Cucaracha"
Texas
2015 13' Scamp - cabinet door removal - hard?

I've searched and found info on much older Scamp trailer cabinet doors, but mine is a 2015 - 13' - and I would like to remove all the cabinet doors in order to paint them.

Is it hard to remove them?

Once removed, can they be replaced properly without sagging?

Thanks for any advice. I'm handy with a screwdriver and a paintbrush, but that's about it.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:16 AM   #2

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I did the same project on my '99 Scamp a while back. I had some difficulty removing two of the screws from the cabinets. I was completely removing all the hardware and replacing, as mine was mismatched. See this tread:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ets-77341.html

Once I got the impact driver, the rest of the project was a breeze. I did have to add a couple of washers to the back side of each of the cabinet door pulls as the included screws were too long and would not tighten fully. Not a problem, could have been more patient in finding shorter screws, but the washers work fine.

I got the impact driver and all the new hardware at Menard's.

I have made two trips from Mich to Florida and many short trips since replacing them, and not one screw has come loose. None of the doors sag, and the new hinges keep them closed better.

When painting the doors, make sure to use a decent primer prior to painting. Most paint will not stick to the finished surface of the factory doors without it. I have had zero chipping or peeling of the paint - VERY satisfied with the results.

With regard to your trailer being a '15 vs older, I doubt it would make any difference. They have used the same way of constructing the cabinets for decades. Perhaps the finish on the cabinet doors is slightly different, but I would assume they can still be painted with a little care.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:28 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The hinges on the door to the porta-potty compartment are riveted to the fiberglass rather than screwed on my 2008. If yours are the same, you'll have to drill them out. Looks like you could replace with nuts and bolts (nylock nuts and small washers against the fiberglass inside).

Other than that, I don't anticipate any complications. This is a great beginner's project. Scuff up the finish with fine grit sandpaper before you prime. I'd use a small foam roller to apply the paint. You can spray paint the hardware, too, if desired. Have fun!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:37 AM   #4

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I would suggest marking the doors showing which opening they were originally installed; I would guess that they are not interchangeable and may not fit properly if installed in an opening they were not originally installed.

--Dan Meyer
scamp.n0kfb.org
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:21 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Agree. I think the only place that matters are the three doors on the upper galley.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:38 AM   #6

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I didn't mark my cabinet doors and had no problems (maybe I just got lucky). Sounds like a very good and simple suggestion, though.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:12 PM   #7

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
California
I would put a piece of masking tape on every door and every hinge and number every door AND hinge. Takes no time and will guarantee everything will go back together perfectly. But I seem to be afflicted by OCD. Have fun !!!

CharlieJ
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:38 AM   #8

Name: Judy
Trailer: 13' Scamp "La Cucaracha"
Texas
Thank you very much to everyone who posted a reply!

I'll be digging into this soon, and will post pictures (if it goes well...haha!)!

Tags
scamp