4" lift and shock upgrade Bigfoot 19' - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #21

Name: Leonard
Trailer: not yet
California
Torsion axles just to keep down the foam on the beer? I guess so....
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #22

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared L View Post
Just got back from a 900 km trip up to the Crows nest pass and to White Swan with a good 80km of rough logging roads. The trailer handles washboard better than my 4runner, but high speed potholes are still a little rough. The BEvERege test was very positive, though a little foamy. What surprised my was the paved road handing. No bouncing no sway and very stable cornering at speed. One very happy camper.
I love White Swan Prov Park. Did you sample that beverage while at Lussier Hot Springs?

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:49 PM   #23

Name: Gardnpondr
Trailer: 1985 BigFoot G
Mississippi
OK I just GOT to ask you! We have a 1985 Bigfoot double axle. It doesn't have an AC but I see yours does. Did yours come with it or did you put it on there. We have GOT to have an AC and I am trying to find out IF there is enough room in the roof for one. What kind of AC is yours? Just praying we can put one on our roof to.
Gardnpondr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:43 PM   #24

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The trailer came with the unit. I plugged it in when i bought the trailer and I worked! Never used it since then but use the furnace from time to time. It is a coleman so i am not sure who really made it. If you are headed up to Calgary i would sell it for a pretty good price but i would assume it needs a recharge and being old, that may be a problem with refrigerant types. From what i have read it fits in the same hole as a standard roof vent. I may pull it this year as it does nothing but sag my roof and provide increased wind resistance when towing. I spend my camping time in the mountains in BC off the grid so about as useful as [![$ on a bull.
Jared L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:14 PM   #25

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
My Bigfoot's original owner bought and used it in Alberta. One of the first things I added when I got it to Texas was air conditioning. My unit is a Coleman-Mach 13.5 BTU. It cost $1000 installed. I've never regretted the money or weight added to the roof. It works great. When it's 94 degrees F. at 10 P.M. you will not be a happy camper without AC.

Lake Bardwell, TX Photo by tomNjo | Photobucket
Old 04-07-2015, 04:58 AM   #26

Name: Rich
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot Fifth Wheel
Texas
Gardnpondr, for whats it's worth, I have a 20' 87 Bigfoot 5er with a roof A/C. It is a DuoTherm BriskAir. I've only had my BF three months and have no idea if it was factory installed. I do know the PO did not install it, but the PPO may have, as he did a number of improvements. I have not yet needed the A/C, only the heat strip. But our Texas summer is approaching and A/C is essential!

I can put you in contact with the PPO if you want to inquire about the A/C.

There is plenty of roof space room on my trailer, but it's a 20 footer. I can see that the roof is not as uniform as it must have been when new.

One someday project is to mount solar panels up there. I believe there is room for 200-300 watts of panels, maybe even 400 watts. No sense in doing that unless I upgrade to two 6V golf cart batteries. Currently I have a 100W external panel which well accommodates the needs of my single 12V battery. The PPO installed the solar charge controller and wiring. I only had to acquire the panel, cabling, and a plug to the match the Attworod trolling motor connector he installed. It was plug and play!

Jared, nice work on the shocks! Another someday project is to look into shocks. So many projects so little money! At least as a new retireee, I have the time.

Rich

things.
Rich Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:00 PM   #27

Name: Gardnpondr
Trailer: 1985 BigFoot G
Mississippi
Thank you guys. Someone was telling me the roof might sag if I put one on top they wasn't sure it could handle one unless we did supports. Oh I am a lonnnnnnnnnnng way from you Jared. Thank you though!!!!
Gardnpondr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:53 PM   #28

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
Thumbs up Thank you so much for sharing this!

Hi Jared,

I have a 1988 Bigfoot B19 Deluxe and while I had the drop axles changed to straight axles when I first got it (because it was dangerously low to the ground), after reading the forums discussions about shocks, I have decided to go ahead add them since I have to replace the brakes, bearings and tires this year anyway. As this type of project is way beyond my skill level, I am very grateful to have an amazingly talented, extremely honest mechanic whose prices are always less than half of what any shop would charge, but he has not put shocks on a travel trailer before so I am doing the research to share with him and was so happy to come across your post, since you have the same size trailer as mine. I have a couple of questions - some related to the shocks and some related to your experience towing the B19, which is a fairly rare size. If you have a chance to respond, I (and my mechanic) would greatly appreciate your input:

1. Did you install the shocks facing in the same direction on both axles or facing in opposite directions to create counterbalance in movement?

2. Now that you've been driving with the shocks for awhile now, do you still feel it was worth installing them - did it improve the ride and handling? I will be taking mine on some washboard roads as well.

3. Do you use a weight distribution hitch when towing? I use an Equalizer bar which provides both weight distribution and sway control but I would SO love to not have to use it because the shank that attaches to the truck hitch is so awkward and heavy. At the same time, safety and handling is a top concern, so I wouldn't forgo using it if it's necessary. I know that many Casita owners are able to do fine with just a sway control bar (which does not have a heavy shank like the weight distributions systems do) but I wonder what your experience has been? I don't know if it makes a difference, but my tow vehicle is a 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4, which has the off-road suspension.

4. Did you stick with the ST 205/75R14 tires and if so, what load rating did you go with or have you changed tire sizes since raising the axle and adding shocks? Are you happy with the brand of tires you have and if so, would you share what brand you went with? Have you heard of tires with heat rating? (since you're in Canada, that may not be a necessary feature, but I am in Arizona and heat resistance would be a really good idea).

5. Have you had to replace or repair any of the circuitry (electrical panel, etc.) - have you added any solar panels? What type of battery do you use?

Sure appreciate seeing another B19 owner out there. Thanks so much for your wonderfully detailed step-by-step description of your awesome modification and congratulations on doing such a great job!
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot