45 degree down axel—too much? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2017, 05:08 PM   #1
npm

Name: Nicolas
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Washington
45 degree down axel—too much?

Hi all, I'm looking to replace the axel on my Trillium 4500 with a higher drop axel to provide better off-road clearance.

A few questions:

-Will 45 degree drop be too much? I've read it can provide a "rougher" ride and be more "firm".

-One torsion axel from Dexter is rated to 2200 lbs and the next one up to 3500. Should I worry about overloading it? I believe my trailer is around 1700 lbs dry, so I will probably get it close to that payload fully loaded.

-Lastly, should most welders be able to cut off the old axel and bolt the new one on, instead of rewelding it? Seems like it would be easier to work with down the road.

Thanks for your help!

npm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:18 AM   #2

Name: Curt
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Alberta
Registry
Rough ride with our Trillium

I don't know anything about the effect of the drop angle, other than as an engineer I expect that yes, it should be a bit rougher to tow.

We replaced the axle on our 4500 a couple of years ago because it was rough to tow - we had a lot of banging and noise on the bumps. I cut the old axle off using an angle grinder and bolted a new one on that we purchased from a local manufacturer. It was not hard to do.

However that being said, it did NOT improve the ride at all. By adding more weight (keeping the fresh water tank full) and replacing the hitch ball and drawbar, it seems to be a little better now.

Good luck with it!
Capn.Curt.Wiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:51 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I doubt the ride would be noticeably affected but...
You could consider a height adjustable torsion axle in order to get just the height desired.
Not a recommendation necessarily, but Flexiride makes an adjustable height axle which would allow you to experiment and hopefully arrive at the height which is just what you want.

Fklexiride Trailer Suspension, Half and Full Custom Trailer Axles

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:05 AM   #4
npm

Name: Nicolas
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Washington
Thanks! Hmmm I could probably remove the axel myself and bolt the new one on, if I had the proper space. The adjustable axel is a cool idea, but seems expensive. I think once I figure out how much I want to raise it (probably 6-8 inches), the 45 degree drop +MAYBE a spacer kit might be the way to go.
npm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:47 PM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
My Trillium (made in 2010) has a bracket sold by Dexter welded to the frame and then the axle is bolted to the bracket. Can't say I've ever heard of bolting the axle directly to the frame. We have had folks report frame failure due to bolt holes. That might be why???
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote