50$ screen door - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2011, 10:12 AM   #21

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
P.Raz, thanks for the information on the fantastic fan. While it's not mounted backwards, but sideways, I was still woundering about it. I'll keep an eye on it and maybe come up with some way of securing it. Thanks for the velcro idea.

bbuehler, I was just talking to my wife about the spring NOG and it looks like we will sign up today. I didn't see it listed at the bottom. I'm still getting used to finding meets (just found the map). Thanks for the heads up.
DannyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:53 PM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyH View Post
bbuehler, I was just talking to my wife about the spring NOG and it looks like we will sign up today. I didn't see it listed at the bottom. I'm still getting used to finding meets (just found the map). Thanks for the heads up.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...1-a-42981.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:38 PM   #23

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool I added a tag for the table

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Love that front table job. It really should have been on a post by itself, someone looking for front table mods may not look at a screen door post.
I tagged this thread with "Screen Door" and "Table" and "Front Dinette" so people can find those things by searching the tags.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:00 AM   #24

Registry
Donna, thanks for the note and Frederick for the tags.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:53 AM   #25

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
upcoming Spring NOG

Dan & Dawn,
Oh Goody! It will be FUN to meet you two...I can only HOPE the early spring weather will be warm enough for you to use the new screen door and show it off PROPERLY!
I'm pretty easy to spot because of my SWEET '73, Retro baby eggie. We'll be in Site 92 with my Compact II.
See you soon,
Barbara
bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:59 AM   #26

Registry
Thumbs up Clever Ideas Here!

Quote:
P.Raz, thanks for the information on the fantastic fan. While it's not mounted backwards, but sideways, I was still wondering about it. I'll keep an eye on it and maybe come up with some way of securing it. Thanks for the Velcro idea.
That mounting spot for the Fantastic Fan is very clever!
As long as it's mounted with the hinge facing front it should have no troubles.
Yours looks like the hinge is toward the top. I would remount it turned 90 degrees.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #27

Registry
Fredrick, I picked up some hardware today to secure the lower front edge of the fantastic fan when it's closed. In a trial fit it held it supper tight. I wanted the hinge on the top so I can keep it 1/4 open in the rain and still use it. Thanks for the idea though.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:22 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Did you happen to ask the people that make the fan if the bearings could handle being run sideways ?

Not all bearings can be mounted a different way.

Bill K
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:21 PM   #29

Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
I wanted the hinge on the top so I can keep it 1/4 open in the rain and still use it.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #30

Registry
Bill, I talked with technical support at Fantastic Fan today and they said it is not a problem intalling their product vertically. With it being installed for years on the Aliner, which is over around 45 degrees, I didn't think it would be a problem, but better safe than sorry.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Thanks for getting that answer Danny, I had run into that problem on bearings before.

Bill K

Quote:
Bill, I talked with technical support at Fantastic Fan today and they said it is not a problem intalling their product vertically. With it being installed for years on the Aliner, which is over around 45 degrees, I didn't think it would be a problem, but better safe than sorry.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #32

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp and 1985 13 ft Scamp
danny could you give some more details of the screen door? Did you build a wooden frame? was the duck material/velscro just glued to the sides of the trailer? does the zipper just zip one side or does the pulls start at the top and go down both sides? could you post a few more pics?

The rework on your trailer is great, so many well thought out ideas! I like the extended bed but hesitant to give up the clothes closet

I did make a bi-fold screen door out of alum stock but I am not happy with it - too flimsy, that is why I would like more details of your screen door
thanks for your help suger mcallen - tenn
sugermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:32 PM   #33

Registry
SugarMC, I found that being black the photo's do not show any detail. I'll try to explain things. I didn't build a wooden frame, the Velcro on the trailer is the harder part, the soft fuzzy part was sewn onto the screen door. The Velcro on the trailer is glued directly to the "C" channel rubber trailer door trim, around the entire side and top. The bottom of the door hangs loose, that's why I put in those two tensioning pieces at the bottom, and they’re attached to the wooden side cabinets. The only item on the door trim is the Velcro, no fabric stays on the trailer when it's put away. I could have put in a double zipper, but decided on a single pull/ side zipper because I couldn't get in the door if one was on the bottom. I thought it might have been nice to open up the top to toss something into the rig, but decided I didn't want it. I had talked to my Uhaul friends that it was patterned after and they said theirs only had a one-way zipper. When the zipper is closed, it's at the bottom of the door. I put it there for two reasons, I have that secure point on the wall to pull against, and when open I wanted to be able to tie the door to the one side (and this is how Uhaul did it). Is there anything specific that you wanted a photo of, I can see if I can take one that's clear. Sorry about the Bi-fold door not working out.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #34

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp and 1985 13 ft Scamp
danny , I seem to be getting a better idea, but what type of glue did you use on the fussy velcro glued to the trim? and wouldn't that pull the channel off the opening? maybe a close up pic of that. Also I noticed that you have a curved edge board at the dinette, that attaches to the door opening, did you put that up to replace that 1" square tubing stiffening? Also the velcro side that is glued to the door frame, you have no overhang correct? thanks for the reply suger
sugermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:18 PM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugermc View Post
danny , I seem to be getting a better idea, but what type of glue did you use on the fussy velcro glued to the trim? and wouldn't that pull the channel off the opening? maybe a close up pic of that. Also I noticed that you have a curved edge board at the dinette, that attaches to the door opening, did you put that up to replace that 1" square tubing stiffening? Also the velcro side that is glued to the door frame, you have no overhang correct? thanks for the reply suger
I tried 6 different glues on a test piece and ended up using VLP by performix, for vinyl & leather. I got it at ACE hardware. It seems to be working fine so far, I've taken the door on and off about 15 times. I'm also carefull when IU take it off and I pull from the bottom edge to get it started. I did a test on the soft side of the Velcro and it did not adhere, just the sticky side of the Velcro. My door trim had to be taped in with a hammer to get it to seat, so the pull of the Velcro has not been a problem. The pull is minimal when it's attached over the entire length of the door.

About the 1" square tubing, when I got the trailer it was only attached at the top, all the other rivets were pulled out. I replaced that with a glassed in 3/4" x 4" piece of plywood and covered that up with the wood trim you see. It seems plenty stiff and the door hinges don't move or creek.

I don't have any overhang of the Velcro on the door trim, it's the same width, about 1/2" wide.

Good luck.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #36

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Danny, I think you are SuperMan! Diligent,talented, can't say enough, Great workmanship!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:34 PM   #37

Registry
Thanks for the great comment Diane.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #38

Trailer: 1976 Surfside
Hey Danny, your screen door is fab. I like that it follows the body line and doesn't use up any space inside the trailer which is essential for a small rig. P.S. Still love your table design, lots of great ideas
Ken
ken h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 08:51 PM   #39

Name: phil
Trailer: Shopping
Ontario
Quote:
I couldn't find a business to do my screen door, so I decided to attempt it myself. I figure it couldn't be any harder than the stuff I've already done. My wife left for a week get together with her mom and I had time to try it. I haven't really sewed anything before and my very trusting wife showed me how to set up the machine before she left. I ended up getting online to figure out how to thread it, and after doing it one time had it down. I had pre-ordered a #10 coil zipper with top and bottom stops, got the fiberglass screen at Home Depot and duck fabric at a store near me. Total cost was just under $50. I measured the door and did a full sized CAD drawing and printed that out for a pattern, put the screen door on the pattern and cut it out and slowly sewed the thing together. I'm Mr. conservative and put in double and triple stitches in high stress area's. After getting it sewed up, I glued industrial strength Velcro to the door trim. Installed, the bottom was a little loose when closed, so I went to the ACE and got the twist hardware shown. I ended up doing a triple stitch close together for a buttonhole to fit the twist through. It does a double duty of tensioning the bottom for a close fit and giving the door a positive anchor when zipping it open from the bottom. I've shown a couple of neighbors and my wife and all had positive results on the stitching. Of coarse it helped that I did it in black which hides may things. Oh, I forgot to mention it'a based on the Uhaul screen door I had seen.
Need more detail on mounting velcro to door frame the hinge side has ensolite right up to gasket don't think glue would hold the velcro
Kbfalls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
front dinette, screen door, table