Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyH View Post
I wanted the hinge on the top so I can keep it 1/4 open in the rain and still use it.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #30

Name: Dan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft "Siesta"
Oregon
Registry
Bill, I talked with technical support at Fantastic Fan today and they said it is not a problem intalling their product vertically. With it being installed for years on the Aliner, which is over around 45 degrees, I didn't think it would be a problem, but better safe than sorry.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Thanks for getting that answer Danny, I had run into that problem on bearings before.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyH View Post
Bill, I talked with technical support at Fantastic Fan today and they said it is not a problem intalling their product vertically. With it being installed for years on the Aliner, which is over around 45 degrees, I didn't think it would be a problem, but better safe than sorry.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #32

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp and 1985 13 ft Scamp
danny could you give some more details of the screen door? Did you build a wooden frame? was the duck material/velscro just glued to the sides of the trailer? does the zipper just zip one side or does the pulls start at the top and go down both sides? could you post a few more pics?

The rework on your trailer is great, so many well thought out ideas! I like the extended bed but hesitant to give up the clothes closet

I did make a bi-fold screen door out of alum stock but I am not happy with it - too flimsy, that is why I would like more details of your screen door
thanks for your help suger mcallen - tenn
Old 02-10-2011, 05:32 PM   #33

Oregon
Registry
SugarMC, I found that being black the photo's do not show any detail. I'll try to explain things. I didn't build a wooden frame, the Velcro on the trailer is the harder part, the soft fuzzy part was sewn onto the screen door. The Velcro on the trailer is glued directly to the "C" channel rubber trailer door trim, around the entire side and top. The bottom of the door hangs loose, that's why I put in those two tensioning pieces at the bottom, and they’re attached to the wooden side cabinets. The only item on the door trim is the Velcro, no fabric stays on the trailer when it's put away. I could have put in a double zipper, but decided on a single pull/ side zipper because I couldn't get in the door if one was on the bottom. I thought it might have been nice to open up the top to toss something into the rig, but decided I didn't want it. I had talked to my Uhaul friends that it was patterned after and they said theirs only had a one-way zipper. When the zipper is closed, it's at the bottom of the door. I put it there for two reasons, I have that secure point on the wall to pull against, and when open I wanted to be able to tie the door to the one side (and this is how Uhaul did it). Is there anything specific that you wanted a photo of, I can see if I can take one that's clear. Sorry about the Bi-fold door not working out.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #34

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp and 1985 13 ft Scamp
danny , I seem to be getting a better idea, but what type of glue did you use on the fussy velcro glued to the trim? and wouldn't that pull the channel off the opening? maybe a close up pic of that. Also I noticed that you have a curved edge board at the dinette, that attaches to the door opening, did you put that up to replace that 1" square tubing stiffening? Also the velcro side that is glued to the door frame, you have no overhang correct? thanks for the reply suger
Old 02-10-2011, 10:18 PM   #35

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugermc View Post
danny , I seem to be getting a better idea, but what type of glue did you use on the fussy velcro glued to the trim? and wouldn't that pull the channel off the opening? maybe a close up pic of that. Also I noticed that you have a curved edge board at the dinette, that attaches to the door opening, did you put that up to replace that 1" square tubing stiffening? Also the velcro side that is glued to the door frame, you have no overhang correct? thanks for the reply suger
I tried 6 different glues on a test piece and ended up using VLP by performix, for vinyl & leather. I got it at ACE hardware. It seems to be working fine so far, I've taken the door on and off about 15 times. I'm also carefull when IU take it off and I pull from the bottom edge to get it started. I did a test on the soft side of the Velcro and it did not adhere, just the sticky side of the Velcro. My door trim had to be taped in with a hammer to get it to seat, so the pull of the Velcro has not been a problem. The pull is minimal when it's attached over the entire length of the door.

About the 1" square tubing, when I got the trailer it was only attached at the top, all the other rivets were pulled out. I replaced that with a glassed in 3/4" x 4" piece of plywood and covered that up with the wood trim you see. It seems plenty stiff and the door hinges don't move or creek.

I don't have any overhang of the Velcro on the door trim, it's the same width, about 1/2" wide.

Good luck.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #36

Name: Diane
Trailer: u-haul ct13
Virginia
Danny, I think you are SuperMan! Diligent,talented, can't say enough, Great workmanship!
Old 02-23-2012, 10:34 PM   #37

Oregon
Registry
Thanks for the great comment Diane.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #38

Name: Ken
Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot
British Columbia
Hey Danny, your screen door is fab. I like that it follows the body line and doesn't use up any space inside the trailer which is essential for a small rig. P.S. Still love your table design, lots of great ideas
Ken

Tags
front dinette, screen door, table