50$ screen door - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2011, 11:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
50$ screen door

I couldn't find a business to do my screen door, so I decided to attempt it myself. I figure it couldn't be any harder than the stuff I've already done. My wife left for a week get together with her mom and I had time to try it. I haven't really sewed anything before and my very trusting wife showed me how to set up the machine before she left. I ended up getting online to figure out how to thread it, and after doing it one time had it down. I had pre-ordered a #10 coil zipper with top and bottom stops, got the fiberglass screen at Home Depot and duck fabric at a store near me. Total cost was just under $50. I measured the door and did a full sized CAD drawing and printed that out for a pattern, put the screen door on the pattern and cut it out and slowly sewed the thing together. I'm Mr. conservative and put in double and triple stitches in high stress area's. After getting it sewed up, I glued industrial strength Velcro to the door trim. Installed, the bottom was a little loose when closed, so I went to the ACE and got the twist hardware shown. I ended up doing a triple stitch close together for a buttonhole to fit the twist through. It does a double duty of tensioning the bottom for a close fit and giving the door a positive anchor when zipping it open from the bottom. I've shown a couple of neighbors and my wife and all had positive results on the stitching. Of coarse it helped that I did it in black which hides may things. Oh, I forgot to mention it'a based on the Uhaul screen door I had seen.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg  

3.jpg   4.jpg  

5.jpg  
DannyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:15 AM   #2

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Own a PUP and looking for a Boler
Alberta
That's excellent work.
brslk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:46 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Alright Danny!! Looks great and I admire your tenacity to learn something new to accomplish something never done before
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:11 AM   #4

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
Nice job!!

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:01 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Looks like it came from the factory. Very clever.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:58 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 1984
Hi Danny
That worked out really nice.
Can you show us your little dinette? The view through the screen looks very interresting?
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:01 AM   #7

Registry
Thanks for all the kind comments. James, my wife is going to finish the curtains this weekend and I'll post something on the whole trailer. Here is a couple of shots from two weeks ago showing the table. I used a hinge to open up the top to get to the far side seat, way easier to figure out. If you look below the table, I built and installed a couple of magazine racks thats out of the way of our legs. The support of the table is a lamination of 4 plywood pieces that is glassed into the wall. There's no pedistal to hit when getting into the table.
Attached Thumbnails
smallP1040913.jpg   smallP1040915.jpg  

Old 02-04-2011, 10:04 AM   #8

Registry
I forgot, the area you put your feet has been raised 4" for storage of our outside awning, hammer and rope to install it. I can just fit everything in. Access is through the low door you at the floor level.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #9

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Thumbs up

Great workmanship
Old 02-04-2011, 12:17 PM   #10

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Your work is great. Love that front table job. It really should have been on a post by itself, someone looking for front table mods may not look at a screen door post.

Looks like you should market your pedestal, very different.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #11

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I think he should mass produce the screen doors.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Man, oh, man---this is really nice stuff! I will have to seriously think about the screen door. Ours has a nice screen door, but it is kind of a pain when you open it and it opens to the inside. Your work is out of the way!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:07 PM   #13

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
congratulations on a superb job....on everything! it is very evident how much thought you put into all the personalization you did.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:39 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler 1984
Great little table. The underneath support is what caught my eyein your earlier pictures, and now the access door under the seat. Would love to see your finished product.
Will you be bringing it to the Trailerhood Bolerama down on Lake Erie this summer?
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:40 PM   #15

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Let me know when you start the home business, factory, cottage industry or offshore sweatshop.

Put me down for one U-Haul screen!

Regards,

Matt
Matt in SV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #16

Registry
Thanks for all the support, but it did take me 3 plus days to build, so I don't think I'll be doing many more. Although the next one would go quicker since I have it sort of down ....

James, I would love to visit Lake Erie, but that's a little more distance than I wanted to try for the first year. We will be at the Oregon gathering in Bandon this year.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:00 PM   #17

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Great work, Danny! Well thought out mods.
Nice job on the screen door, wow!

Fran
compact II
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:29 AM   #18
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I noticed in your picture that you have mounted a fantastic fan on the side of your trailer. Our previous camper was a Chalet A-frame. Because of the way the roof "clam shells", the fan and any roof vents had to be installed backwards, that is opening facing the direction of travel. It was quite common for the fan cover to work loose from its clasp and fly open as you were traveling down the road. In most cases the cover shattered. They are not cheap. ($40-$50). Some folks rigged a bungee cord tie down. I used some of that industrial strength velcro to make tie down straps. Worked well as long as I remembered to "unlatch" them before I put up the roof. Just a thought. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:55 AM   #19

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
Before you go up to CANADA, come somewhere in your own neck of the 'woods' (Stub Stewart State Park just off the Hwy 26 exit to Vernonia) for the Spring NOG meet! I'm trying to remember if I've met you two at one of the other meets...
If you're not signed up for any meets (where we all can 'oooh and ahhh' about your quality of workmanship and innovative mods, I'll have to swing by your place in Hillsboro to see the Eggie, in all it's glory. I used to live in Hillsboro, and dad had Fritz's Bikeshop on Baseline and 2nd.
bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:47 AM   #20

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Very good!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
front dinette, screen door, table