6 Volt Battery Conversion on my Trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2016, 04:17 PM   #1

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 1975 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
6 Volt Battery Conversion on my Trillium

I just finished my 6 volt battery conversion on my Trillium 1300.
I started by welding on 2 pieces of angle iron for the battery boxes to be bolted to. Next drilled holes in the front of the trailer for the waterproof gland nuts to go through. Connected the main power, inverter and charge controller wires to the new 6 volt Interstate batteries then wired the batteries together. Finally ran all the interior wires into a Blue Sea fuse bus and done!
Attached Thumbnails
1.JPG   2.JPG  

3.JPG  
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 04:18 PM   #2

Alberta
Registry
A couple more photos....
Attached Thumbnails
4.JPG   5.JPG  

Old 06-17-2016, 07:42 PM   #3

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Neat installation, Clayton. What are you using for solar panels. I notice that the charger is rated at 30 amps.

I have to ask, what did placing 2 6v batteries in front of the LPG tank do to your tongue weight and tongue to gross ratio?

Also, what is the AH rating on the pair of batteries?

Thanks.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:48 PM   #4

Alberta
Registry
Hi Clif,

I have 2 bendable panels on the roof (1 - 100 watt and 1 - 50 watt). I also have a suit case style 120 watt portable panel for a total of 270 watts.

The weight of the batteries are 67 pounds each. I don't know the exact tongue weight but I'm guessing it is about 10%. I drove about 300km this week with the trailer and it towed great.

The batteries wired in series are rated at 232AH.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:00 PM   #5

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
interesting....

sort of a "new take"...given the size of the trailer....

big AH (2 GCs)....big solar (270W)....big inverter (4000W) and minimalist panel....so I'm guessing it's like: "Forget 12V anything...I'll just go with AC with everything I need except the water pump"....I could see how that would be tempting....

certainly different....I will be interested to find out how it works out for you in the real world (use)....you do know that those panels on the roof (flat) will be less than efficient at producing substantial amps at your latitude. I'm in that same boat and only expect "maintenance" from mine...but then again my "combo" is only half (flat and protable) of what yours is....Do you have a charger int there somewhere?

congratulations in thinking out of the box and I look forward in hearing/reading how it all works out for you....cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
battbox3.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:57 AM   #6

Alberta
Registry
This is what I am running off 12vDC:

-Propex HS2800 Heater
-NovaKool R1900 fridge
-MaxxFan 6200
-Blue Sea USB outlet
-LP Detector
-LED Interior lights

Ironically I do not have a water pump or water heater. They only thing that I run off AC is a small LED TV and DVD player and a tiny coffee pot the odd time. I do have a CTEK battery charger installed, but have yet to use it.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:33 PM   #7

Alberta
Registry
The inverter is a 2000 watt unit (peak surge of 4000 watts), which is much bigger than I originally planned on getting. I got a really good deal on it that I couldn't pass up.
Old 06-18-2016, 03:58 PM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
I have to ask, what did placing 2 6v batteries in front of the LPG tank do to your tongue weight and tongue to gross ratio?
On my Scamp remodel I put two 6V batteries behind a single propane bottle out on the tongue. I deleted the original second propane bottle and the steel dual bottle mount. There was still a small net increase in weight as a 6V battery is heavier* than a full propane bottle. I also added a fairly light aluminum shroud and tool box on top further adding weight. I tow with a full-size 1/2 ton pickup so the added tongue weight is not an issue.

*It might be interesting to calculate the net energy per pound in the battery versus a 20 lb. propane bottle. I am sure the propane bottle wins by a large margin but then with solar the battery is a renewable resource skewing things back toward the battery. Oh well, I ain't smart enough to answer the question, just enough to ask it.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:30 PM   #9

Alberta
Registry
LOL. Yes it is very interesting. I really just wanted to move the original battery location from inside the trailer to the tongue for safety reasons.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:31 AM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Very nice install Clayton!

Other then exceeding your vehicles tongue weight limit, is there any problem with a high tongue weight?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:43 AM   #11

Name: Linh
Trailer: UHAUL
California
Going to 6v golf cart batteries has been on of the best mods I have done to my rig.

Through the valley of death.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:56 PM   #12

Alberta
Registry
Yes, I am super happy with the upgrade. We went camping for 3 days last week. Ran the 12vDC fridge, Propex heater every night, USB outlet for phones and IPad and interior lights. The voltage never dropped below 12.4
Old 06-24-2016, 03:58 PM   #13

Alberta
Registry
I am going to try and use a scale this weekend to weigh the tongue weight. It will be interesting to get the actual tongue weight.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:40 PM   #14

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
congrats.....

thanks for the correction on inverter...makes mor sense now.....neat system.......and seeing 12.4 the next day...and the next...sure is a "nice warm feeling" ain't it ?....LOL....so much of this stuff is "hokus pokus"...wondering it it'll all be worth it in the end....looks like it worked "fabulous" for you....cheers, F (pic below is when I was at the stage of "Oh my God, what have I done?....LOL)
Attached Thumbnails
elecr5.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:56 AM   #15

Name: Linda
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 16 ft, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Minnesota
How did you attach the battery boxes to the frame? I am also changing to 2 6 volt batteries to my Scamp, but not sure how to make sure the boxes are secure.
dvrcdlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:13 AM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I just inst. 2 6v batteries to my S-16. I used this box. Century Plastics: White Heavy Duty Battery Box - (part#: GCE-G)
I made a frame to hold the box out of 1.5 angle to set the box in. I then set the box frame on the frame rails. Then ran long bolts down to the orig. battery support bars in case I did not want to keep the dual 6 volt batteries.
I plan to extend legs up from the battery box frame to put a platform on top for a generator or bike racks. I will weld the box frame it to the trailer frame if I do that.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:20 AM   #17

Alberta
Registry
Hi Linda, I drilled a hole in each of the four corners of the battery boxes. I then matched up the holes in the boxes with the angle iron on drilled through it. I used 1/4 stainless bolts with large washers on top and lock washers with nylock nuts on the bottom. It is super secure.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:15 AM   #18

Trailer: 78 Trillium 13 ft / 2003 F150
Box Mount

Hi,

When mounting a box for the group 27 battery
on my Trillium I decided to use aluminum angle
to make a simple frame for the box to sit it.
Not being a welder I find aluminum much easier
to work with than steel angle. The corners of the
frame are bolted together and the whole thing is
bolted to the old stock steel angle mounting that
the old group 24 battery box was bolted to. The
strap secures things well. Hope this helps someone?

Larry H
Attached Thumbnails
Battery.jpg  
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, trillium