73' Boler Rivets leaking - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2016, 09:01 PM   #1

Name: Kala
Trailer: 1973 Boler
British Columbia
73' Boler Rivets leaking

Hi there,
new to this site
My husband and I just recently purchased a 1973 Boler locally here on Vancouver Island. We have taken it out camping a few times and the last time was in a real rainstorm. The rivets on the kitchen cabinet and also around the closet are dripping leaks. Has anyone come across this problem and what is the best advice for fixing? I heard something about "leak proof rivets," Anyone know where to get these?
thanks!!!
Kala
kalalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:51 AM   #2

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Hi Kala,

Yes I've replaced loose rivets in same location in my Scamp. You simply drill out the old rivets from the outside of the trailer (mine were 3/16" drill bit for same size rivet) and get the proper diameter and length rivet and reinstall new with a hand rivet gun. I don't know if bikers use outside plastic washers and snap caps like scamps? Others here will.

The interior of my Scamp uses threaded acorn nuts that catch the rivet inside as it's squishing down and spreading out over inner fiberglass.

A good source for rivets I've used is McMaster Carr. Pro-Dec is good source for snap caps and plastic washers. If your biker has acorn nuts inside, someone has to be inside holding the nut over the rivet while person outside uses rivet gun so acorn nut cinches up to it.

A new rivet and you'll be good as new. They can loosen with road vibration. But relatively easy to replace. Other boler owners here should be able to help you with rivet length and diameter questions.

Best wishes,
Wendy

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:52 AM   #3

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Sorry for typos. Meant Boler everywhere you see biker.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:25 AM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
A short term band aid repair I have used is to take a small amount of butyl tape and then squish it over the outside of the rivet and make sure it covers it all. Works well when you find a new leak and you are already out camping!

Wendy is right though that the way to fix it is drilling and a new rivet.

Another option is to not use rivet but a short bolt, washer with rubber on one side and then a nut on the inside. An acorn nut works well for the inside of this too!

Cheers.
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler