74 boler hot dog trailer...finished w/pics - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2011, 12:16 AM   #1

Name: ronny
Trailer: 74 boler
British Columbia
74 boler hot dog trailer...finished w/pics

so here it is

finished my 74 1300, big project. Took one that had been sitting in my aunts backyard in alberta and turned into a cool retro 50's diner style hot dog trailer in downtown vancouver, bc.

I've uploaded some pics of the finished project, i can post a ton more if anyone is interested in seeing a more detailed build thread and ask any questions. I'm really happy how it turned out and we debuted it today in Yaletown, {downtown vancouver}, nd had our busiest day ever....it was insane.

check it out!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0131.jpg   IMG_0126.jpg  

IMG_0116.jpg   IMG_0118.jpg  

thenoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:38 AM   #2

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1981 Scamp "Huevo Ranchero"
Virginia
That looks awesome! I for one would be interested in a build thread--particularly detailing how you engineered the open sides.
Piscator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:39 AM   #3

Name: Brian
Trailer: Scamp
South Carolina
Registry
That's pretty cool!Are those VW bumpers on it?
Brian Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:39 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Very nice and profitable too. I have the same question about the bumpers.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:45 AM   #5

Name: Michael
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Registry
this looks great! Huge kitchen, but where do you sleep
Old 04-24-2011, 07:02 AM   #6

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Talking

How did you get Steve Martin to pose in front of it?
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:41 AM   #7

British Columbia
Yes
The bumpers are off a 1967 beetle. What I did was cut the old bumper off. I then took the beetle bumper and cut it in half as well. Molded my cuts so it had the same curve as the outside.

Mounting it I just did a tiny tack weld which held the bumper steady, I the. Attached L brackets and bolted her down w/existing carriage bolts holes
Old 04-24-2011, 08:55 AM   #8

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1971 Amerigo
Colorado
Count me as another vote for a build thread!

Congratulations on a terrific project - I like everything about it :~)

Questions would include whether the cut-outs affected the structural integrity of the shell. Did you find it necessary to reinforce?

Oh - and -
How do you vent it? I'd imagine the grill throws off a lot of smoke and oils that would coat the ceiling creating a nasty mess.
What did you do about wall covering?
How did you engineer the roof seams / hinges to avoid leaks
Peter_Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:07 AM   #9

British Columbia
As far as the windows go, we traced out where we were going to cut
We then bent some pipe and fiberglassed it in around the cutout to maintain it's shape after we cut it out...slit didn't warp

We then ran the same piping inside around the shells top half to reinforce it, this was also heavily glassed in.

I made some roof props from aluminum box extrusion that also act as joists that push up at the corners to help give it even more help.

As far as sealant, so far where the hinges screw into the boler, on the inside we soaked pieces of wood in resin for days and glassed them in the inside. I then ran weatherstripping underneath the piano hinge. I then screwed the hinge into the resin soaked wood for a strong seL. I laid a thick bead of sikaflex around all the hinges and managed to find some plastic drip rail material from lordco to trim the hinges. Will probably find some leaks but will patch them when I see them.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:10 AM   #10

British Columbia
With the grill we sell organic smokies and hot dogs, no fat at all so there is really no smoke to deal with. The flip up windows are all the ventilation you need. Mother nature does the rest
Old 04-24-2011, 10:12 AM   #11

British Columbia
The wall covering is al's liner. It is a truck bed spray which you can dye. I love it we did it black and red. Stuff sprays on hell a thick but looks awesome. Also adds a bit of structural support
Old 04-24-2011, 10:22 AM   #12

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoob View Post
As far as the windows go, we traced out where we were going to cut
We then bent some pipe and fiberglassed it in around the cutout to maintain it's shape after we cut it out...slit didn't warp

We then ran the same piping inside around the shells top half to reinforce it, this was also heavily glassed in.

I made some roof props from aluminum box extrusion that also act as joists that push up at the corners to help give it even more help.

As far as sealant, so far where the hinges screw into the boler, on the inside we soaked pieces of wood in resin for days and glassed them in the inside. I then ran weatherstripping underneath the piano hinge. I then screwed the hinge into the resin soaked wood for a strong seL. I laid a thick bead of sikaflex around all the hinges and managed to find some plastic drip rail material from lordco to trim the hinges. Will probably find some leaks but will patch them when I see them.
I presume you used electrical conduit - good method!
Any chance for some photos of the hinge set-up?
Old 04-24-2011, 10:25 AM   #13

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoob View Post
With the grill we sell organic smokies and hot dogs, no fat at all so there is really no smoke to deal with. The flip up windows are all the ventilation you need. Mother nature does the rest
Ok - that, too, makes sense. I'm a fan of the fat - but my wife seems to want me to live longer so we use organic and low fat sausages. We usually do them in water so I'm not familiar with how they grill.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #14

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
It looks great! I'm used to seeing street vending vehicles with the serving window curbside but your curbside seems to be closed. Do you have a specific site that is off the street that allows customers to access the street side?
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:13 AM   #15

British Columbia
Nope i wantec the business side where the BBQ is, I took out all the vents and glassed them in
Old 04-24-2011, 11:19 AM   #16

Colorado
I imagine it also made things easier re the door and closet. I'd also guess it's light enough that you can manually spin it to be appropriate for a curbside location
Old 04-24-2011, 03:52 PM   #17

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I assume this was all done with the new allotment of street venders permits that were given (sold?) to vendors??

I REALLY like (yummmm)what you've done and would welcome a sampling of your wares!!

Do you have or could you please tell us where/when we might be able to catch up with you on the streets of Gangcouver (LOL!!!)???
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:12 PM   #18

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Mager View Post
I assume this was all done with the new allotment of street venders permits that were given (sold?) to vendors??

I REALLY like (yummmm)what you've done and would welcome a sampling of your wares!!

Do you have or could you please tell us where/when we might be able to catch up with you on the streets of Gangcouver (LOL!!!)???

We've actually been doing street vending for the past 3 years downtown but always wanted to do something really cool, this cart opens at robson and horny st this week, come on by!!
Old 04-24-2011, 09:17 PM   #19

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
very cool! I have a buddy who is looking for one, for an espresso cart... plenty of people would love to see a build-thread! nicely done.
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:22 PM   #20

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Where's the bed?

Tags
boler