'74 Compact II restoration started - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-08-2009, 01:44 AM   #71
Senior Member
 
Name: Dana
Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
California
Posts: 540
Hi Francene and Heath, thanks for the model numbers and dimensions of the fridge.

Re Armstrong or other vinyl flooring -- what we often see is "residential" flooring, which has a very thin wear coat. When I had the bathrooms in our house refloored the installer showed me "institutional" flooring, like for hospital hallways, and the wearcoat was very thick and tough. Dropped forks, grit caught in shoes, wheelchair tires or whatever didn't even faze it. You might consider that for the trailer, because all the traffic will be confined to a very small area, subjecting it to much more wear than would be experienced at a house. Of course the trailer wouldn't normally be used every day of the year....
__________________

__________________
Dana T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:09 AM   #72
Senior Member
 
francene's Avatar
 
Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Washington
Posts: 435
Registry
Thanks Jen, Heath and Dana for your comments about vinyl flooring. What would you recommend, Jen?

I DO have some leftover laminate flooring; just thought it was heavier than vinyl- I'm trying to consider weight when using materials. I tow with a 4 cyl. Camry, 2000lb tow limit.

The original vinyl flooring that was removed on the rotted subfloor was in good condition; ugly pattern, but the no gouges. The stuff at Home Depot that I was considering, Armstrong Vinyl sheet Sentinel, has a 10 year warranty against rip, tear or gouge from 'normal' household use. Maybe your floor at home, Jen, is a 5 year or less warranty grade of flooring.

Institutional flooring- hmm. Home Depot has Allure Commercial heavy duty flooring planks, which could even be used in garages.

-Fran
__________________

__________________
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:46 AM   #73
Senior Member
 
JenPB's Avatar
 
Name: Jen
Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Posts: 321
Registry
Quote:
The original vinyl flooring that was removed on the rotted subfloor was in good condition; ugly pattern, but the no gouges. The stuff at Home Depot that I was considering, Armstrong Vinyl sheet Sentinel, has a 10 year warranty against rip, tear or gouge from 'normal' household use. Maybe your floor at home, Jen, is a 5 year or less warranty grade of flooring.
Fortunately, our flooring WAS 10-year warranty, but the guy had to come back and replace a section of it after the second week because the builder dropped some sort of sharp implement on it during cabinet installation and caused a ding. While at the house, the flooring guy found a few other dings he patched up, and he reglued the joint which was already splitting.

OTHERWISE, the floor HAS held up pretty well over the past 6 years. Where the chairs slide (dining room table), the floor is scuffed, but I only notice it when I'm doing one of those hands-and-knees floor-scrubbing jobs (as opposed to the more frequent mop treatment).

I suspect that, over the past six years, Armstrong has improved their product. I just wanted to share MY experience.

Other options? Hmmm...wood floor (but that's heavy), wood laminate (just as heavy plus scarring issues), commercial-grade tile (Do they make any of that you'd WANT to look at?).

At any rate, I ended up covering my floor with a bit of carpet in the end. It made it MUCH more cozy, much easier on bare feet, and since I didn't glue it down, all I have to do for a good cleaning is roll it like a taco and slide it out.

__________________
Jen
The Blog - travels and more
The Book - what we do around these parts
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:57 AM   #74
Senior Member
 
Name: Dana
Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
California
Posts: 540
Quote:
Got a new subfloor in yesterday.
Click image for larger version

Name:	new_subfloor2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	20831

Fran, I took a closer look at your pictures of the subfloor and noticed that it is thicker in the aisleway than the four "ears", where by ears I mean the area in front of and behind the wheel wells. My trailer doesn't have any subfloor over the ears. Did you just paint the ears the same color as the subfloor but they are really the fiberglass body, or did you lay some thinner subfloor there?

Thanks!
__________________
Dana T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:44 PM   #75
Senior Member
 
francene's Avatar
 
Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Washington
Posts: 435
Registry
Hello all,
After much Bondo-ing, sanding, nit-picking, I took the Compact II to Maaco for painting.
It is VERY shiny now; their quality of work was pretty good, save for some worn areas that when sanded, left pitted areas that they didn't fill. But hopefully, the paint will hold up. It only took 1 day, and now it's back home but still smelling like auto paint.

Here are some photos. Next step is installing the vinyl flooring I picked up at Lowes yesterday. Then put in some supports for the cabinet framing.

Best,
Fran
Attached Thumbnails
new_paint.jpg   new_paint_front.jpg  

pop_top_painted.jpg   window_guard.jpg  

__________________
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:23 PM   #76
Senior Member
 
Heath G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Heath
Trailer: Compact Jr
Ohio
Posts: 150
Wow Francene, That looks great. I was a little scared for you when you said Maco was doing the paint put looks like it turned out mutch better than i thought it would. Maybe I should rethink letting my friend paint it and let the pro's do it. My wife wnat's ours the same color as yours. I know you have seen the pics of my camper and thankfully I don't need a total restore but I would like to do the paint, and the more I see of yours the more I want to do with mine so keep the insperation going.
__________________
Heath G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:05 AM   #77
Senior Member
 
francene's Avatar
 
Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Washington
Posts: 435
Registry
Some more photos of new flooring that went in today, yeah! Armstrong sheet vinyl, 10 year stuff from Lowes.

Also photo of trailer tongue add-ons, battery box holder, storage box holder, and spare tire holder.

Lastly, a photo of newly painted Pop-top.

Next, wall and ceiling fabric have to go in. Hmm... probably vinyl over laminate floor underlayment foam.

Whew,
Fran
Attached Thumbnails
new_flooring1.jpg   new_flooring2.jpg  

trailer_tongue_re_do.jpg   poptop_painted.jpg  

__________________
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:15 AM   #78
Senior Member
 
francene's Avatar
 
Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Washington
Posts: 435
Registry
Thanks, Heath. Maaco did a good job, but there were some areas that they could have applied a bit of Bondo after they sanded, or called me on what to do, but they just went ahead and sprayed over a few pitted areas that showed up after their initial sanding. Anyway, the paint looks even and glossy, and their taping-off was neatly done. Now time will tell how it stands up.

It was expensive; if your friend is somewhat experienced, I think you could save a lot. Just spray lightly so you won't get drips and sags. Take time to prepare the surface, as with all painting. Every little blemish shows more with glossy paint over it.

Best of luck,
Fran
__________________
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:34 PM   #79
Senior Member
 
Name: B
Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
Oregon
Posts: 406
Fran,
Everything LOOKS wonderful...what you've done is incredible.
I need to get going on my '73 Compact II...I want to take it to MAACO but was very hesitant...you always hear the GOOD , the BAD and the UGLY!!! They seem to have done a good job. Maybe I'll sand and Bondo mine, before taking it over to MAACO. Any reason you took out the windows before painting it...did it lower the price dramatically by them not having to tape them...or are you getting new windows? Where are you getting your new belly band...Camping world? I want a bright colored one but haven't really shopped around.
AND Last but NOT LEAST, how much did MAACO charge?
Thank you so much for showing your pics, as you go along. It's really PUSHED me to have some SHINE in MY LIFE!
Barbara
__________________
bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:40 PM   #80
Senior Member
 
Name: B
Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
Oregon
Posts: 406
Fran,
Everything LOOKS wonderful...what you've done is incredible.
I need to get going on my '73 Compact II...I want to take it to MAACO but was very hesitant...you always hear the GOOD , the BAD and the UGLY!!! They seem to have done a good job. Maybe I'll sand and Bondo mine, before taking it over to MAACO. Any reason you took out the windows before painting it...did it lower the price dramatically by them not having to tape them...or are you getting new windows? Where are you getting your new belly band...Camping world? I want a bright colored one but haven't really shopped around.
AND Last but NOT LEAST, how much did MAACO charge?
Thank you so much for showing your pics, as you go along. It's really PUSHED me to have some SHINE in MY LIFE!
Barbara
__________________
bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:44 PM   #81
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,434
Pardon me for butting into the conversation, but let me tell you what I know about paint shops. No two are alike in the quality of work done. Let me repeat that, no two are alike in the quality of work done. We have several MAACO shops here in Portland. They all CHARGE the same amount for work (estimate rate). One shop, that I know about, does absolute stellar work. The paint people have worked at that shop for years. Get repeat business from longtime customers and it takes weeks to get an appointment to get anything painted. Another shop across town, I wouldn't take my go cart to them to paint. If you need something done, they can do it tomorrow. IIIIIICCCCCCKKKKK.

So, if you want something painted, make absolutely sure you know who you're taking it to based on THAT SHOP'S reputation, not some nationwide reputation. You may be VERY sorry.

And the best paint jobs are done with all brightwork and windows removed. The reason is simple, if you ever pull anything (like a window) and then put it back in, the chance of getting it in EXACTLY the same spot is pretty slim. You don't want to have a "ring" around the window where there's no paint.

Off my soap box now and back to your regularly scheduled topic.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:29 PM   #82
Senior Member
 
Larry&Carrie's Avatar
 
Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Washington
Posts: 553
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
Pardon me for butting into the conversation, but let me tell you what I know about paint shops. No two are alike in the quality of work done. Let me repeat that, no two are alike in the quality of work done. We have several MAACO shops here in Portland. They all CHARGE the same amount for work (estimate rate). One shop, that I know about, does absolute stellar work. The paint people have worked at that shop for years. Get repeat business from longtime customers and it takes weeks to get an appointment to get anything painted. Another shop across town, I wouldn't take my go cart to them to paint. If you need something done, they can do it tomorrow. IIIIIICCCCCCKKKKK.

So, if you want something painted, make absolutely sure you know who you're taking it to based on THAT SHOP'S reputation, not some nationwide reputation. You may be VERY sorry.

And the best paint jobs are done with all brightwork and windows removed. The reason is simple, if you ever pull anything (like a window) and then put it back in, the chance of getting it in EXACTLY the same spot is pretty slim. You don't want to have a "ring" around the window where there's no paint.

Off my soap box now and back to your regularly scheduled topic.
YUP!!!!! double ditto..... Larry
__________________
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:39 PM   #83
Member
 
Trailer: 1974 Compact II 1995 16' Scamp Deluxe
Washington
Posts: 61
Send a message via AIM to Chuck H
Quote:
Thanks, Heath. Maaco did a good job, but there were some areas that they could have applied a bit of Bondo after they sanded, or called me on what to do, but they just went ahead and sprayed over a few pitted areas that showed up after their initial sanding. Anyway, the paint looks even and glossy, and their taping-off was neatly done. Now time will tell how it stands up.

It was expensive; if your friend is somewhat experienced, I think you could save a lot. Just spray lightly so you won't get drips and sags. Take time to prepare the surface, as with all painting. Every little blemish shows more with glossy paint over it.

Best of luck,
Fran
Francene, don't beat yourself up too bad over those small pinholes in the paint. I spent weeks sanding and filling and spot puttying my Compact II before taking it to the paint shop and I was sure I'd gotten all the prep work just right, but lo and behold the little beggars showed up and disappointed me. Now I just consider them as part of the "caricture "of my trailer what you've done looks GREAT! Keep up the good work. Chuck H.
__________________
Chuck H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:59 PM   #84
Senior Member
 
JenPB's Avatar
 
Name: Jen
Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Posts: 321
Registry
Quote:
Also photo of trailer tongue add-ons, battery box holder, storage box holder, and spare tire holder.
Whew,
Fran
Hey! WOW! I recognize that tongue setup! So far so good!

Your project is rolling along so nicely! LOVE it! Keep posting!

Jen
__________________

__________________
Jen
The Blog - travels and more
The Book - what we do around these parts
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
And then the fight started... Roy Bakehorn Jokes, Stories & Tall Tales 2 03-30-2010 07:01 AM
Got my title and getting started DannyH General Chat 2 08-19-2009 01:53 PM
We know now how the Swine Flu got started. Bigfoot Mike Jokes, Stories & Tall Tales 3 05-01-2009 10:08 AM
How the fight got started! Rick kl Jokes, Stories & Tall Tales 4 11-03-2008 05:18 PM
My Compact Jr. frame restoration Legacy Posts Modifications, Alterations and Updates 8 05-12-2003 10:19 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.