'74 Compact II restoration started - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2009, 02:52 AM   #121

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Looks like it's coming along nicely Francene! I hope you have it ready to take "on the road" for one of the local Washington or Oregon gatherings next year; I'd love to see it when you're done.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:26 AM   #122

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
Quote:
Hi Dana,
Thanks for your thoughtful comments. Yes, my spare tire mount is similar to the one at etrailer. The front of the Compact II I have has 2" square channel, not open 'c' channel. There is 'c' channel under the fiberglass body of the trailer, however.
But the front tongue area has the heavier duty steel, thankfully. Don't know if this was standard on the CII's.
Hey Fran,
Was just catching up on your thread and noticed this comment. My CII's tongue is also like this, square tubing, plus mine has diamond plate across the top of the tongue frame, making it like a 'floor' under the propane tank. So maybe the tubing at least is a standard for the CII's. I'm thinking of adding a spare tire mount on the side of my tongue too, so I'm curious to see how yours is. Got pics? hehe
Joe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:51 AM   #123

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Quote:
Hey Fran,
Was just catching up on your thread and noticed this comment. My CII's tongue is also like this, square tubing, plus mine has diamond plate across the top of the tongue frame, making it like a 'floor' under the propane tank. So maybe the tubing at least is a standard for the CII's. I'm thinking of adding a spare tire mount on the side of my tongue too, so I'm curious to see how yours is. Got pics? hehe
Joe
Heya, Neighbor Joe! Just thought I'd chime in here. The shop where I had the welding done on my tongue when I did the revamp (now the spare and battery are all out there) just about had a conniption when they saw the construction of the tongue. They were really concerned about the strength of the original construction. I've tried to keep the trailer balanced, weigh-wise, to reduce twisting (torsion?). If you wanna check out how mine turned out, swing by! We're home indefinitely.

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:08 AM   #124

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
Chuck, Francene, Joe, Pat and all OTHER Compact II owners!!!

I didn't really follow the complete thread on Francene's Compact II restoration....so today, when I took another longer look, I am so EXCITED to see that what I called the PRIVACY ROOM (thinking that's where everybody puts a Porta-Potti and has complete privacy) might actually have original plumbing underneath the trailer for installing a marine toilet! WOW!!!!
I can't wait to go home and look in my garage at the UNDERNEATH of mine. I've never really crawled under there to explore what I have!!! I haven't noticed any holes, either covered or not, in the privacy room floor or any 'hump' that might house a black water tank, but I'm sure as hell going to look! If it's fitted for that (even if not) , for the past 3 years that I've owned mine, I've been thinking that I'd have a toilet installed. It seems such a waste to put other storage junk into that BIG lovely room, when it could all fit into the back of my Subaru tow vehicle. Can anyone post a pic of the black tank area or the underneath portion of their Compact, so I can compare it to mine....I want to see all the 'potty' pics I can, before I decide what direction to take the EGG.

Interesting also to see that some of you have an oven in your Compact's, when others like me, have only the stove top and lots of drawers. I like the extra storage space...and know I wouldn't bake in the oven, even if I had it. I just bought one of those beautiful propane run ovens from one of my Casita friends...and haven't used it once in the 8 months or so that I've owned it. I'm thinking of posting it on the site for resale.

I am still thinking we could all get together for a semi-big meet of our own...but it takes a lot to plan one during the peak summer months, when you have so many others vying for prime state park vacation time. Any ideas?

Hope everyone has a SAFE and HEALTHY New Year!
Barbara
bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:09 PM   #125

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Barbara, in my Scamp and a lot of molded trailers, the toilet sits on top of the blackwater tank and the entire thing is in the privacy room. Only the drain pipe goes out through the floor. Mine looks a bit different than the picture below, but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Toilet.jpg  
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #126

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Hi Barbara,
Happy New Year to you and everyone else here!

The 'privacy room' in mine had only a small porta-potty; the box platform it was perched on just elevated the little potti.
There was no black tank or under-trailer plumbing, which you might have discovered by now on yours.
There was a disconnected water inlet into the privacy room- I suppose to hook a hose to, but no clue as to what that led to.
There was also a vent in the roof of the room, which had lost it's cap and was letting rain in.
So that's all I can tell you about the set-up in my '74 CII.

I'm working on the former 'privacy room' right now, as it turns out. There will be storage for a potti in there, plus I am putting in a counter for kitchen work space and/or microwave/toaster oven, with a small cabinet above that. The counter surface could also be used as a desk for writing/art work.

Looking forward to a get-together in 2010!

Fran
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:38 PM   #127

Registry
I have been steadily working on the trailer .

12 volt system is in and working, pump works, and 120 volt circuits are done and working fine.

I've actually been cooking in the trailer in order to use up the propane that's in the 'old style' tank that came with the trailer, since it can't legally be refilled. There must have been quite a bit of LP in there because it won't quit!

I need to sew covers for the cushions and finish storage areas. Been working on a table recently; my trailer did not come with one when I brought it home.

I put in counter space opposite the sink and stove for some prep space. Underneath will go the portable toilet and table when not in use. Above counter is a storage space with a (not finished yet) plexiglass-panelled door.

Working in the garage is great; finally don't have to share it with my husband's car since it's beyond frost season here.

Attached Thumbnails
trailer_ext_done.jpg   seating_area_done.jpg  

storage_cubbie.jpg   fridge_done.jpg  

wall_done.jpg   counter_done2.jpg  

counter_done.jpg  
Old 04-03-2010, 08:02 AM   #128

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Francene,

Thanks for posting so much, its been wonderful stealing so many ideas...

Harry

Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:13 AM   #129

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
Hi Francene,

Ooh my, that's a wonderfully large water heater you have! (see center picture in the bottom row of your post of 4-2-10 7:38pm).

It's really nice to see postings of your wonderful remodelling and refurbs of the CII again -- I look forward to seeing it in the flesh someday.

Have a great Easter!

--Dana
Dana T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:31 PM   #130

Trailer: 2010 17 ft Escape B ('Cafe Egg')
Registry
Wow Francene, your Compact will look much better than new once you have it finished! Nice looks!
Gerda, H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:40 PM   #131

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Wow, Fran, you are doing a great job. Are you leaving the fridge out to get the counter space opposite the stove or did you just move it?
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:59 PM   #132

Registry
Thanks for the encouragement Harry, Dana, Gerda, and Bobbie.
The fridge is still there, Bobbie; I didn't move it ( it's got a new front panel and it's in one of the photos).
What used to be where there's a counter now, was a pair of double doors covering the 'bathroom'.

Hope to get on the road this summer and meet up with some of you!

Best,
Fran
(My Mom just passed away this morning so I'm kind of out of it and sad, but it's good to hear from you folks.)
Old 04-04-2010, 07:12 PM   #133

Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
Fran,
LOVE your coverage of your renovation, keep up the good work, keep the pics coming, and of course feel free to give me a yell anytime you have a question about our unusual trailers! hehe

Not to take over your thread Fran, but I thought I'd toss my two cents in on the 'privacy room' for the bathroom.
My CII has an actual plumbed in commode, and I've seen at least one or two others like that in pics online, on Ray Horner's UHaul site. I have a feeling that our little rigs could be, as so many trailers, ordered very customized, with whichever accessories you wanted. So I'm betting that there were some that came with just the privacy room, no plumbed in commode, some that had no privacy room but even more cabinets/drawers/etc. I believe mine's had the commode replaced as it is plain white, not avacado green like my other appliances, and it faces the rear of the trailer. One of the other CII's equipped like mine, that I saw pics of online, had an avocado green commode that faced into the walkway of the trailer. Anyway...hehe

As far as how tough or easy it is to add a built-in if you don't have it, I can't imagine how tough that would be, but I would bet just having a plain old porta potty like Fran is planning would be the simplest way to go. I know I always feel like an ant when I pull into line at the dump station, often between GIANT motorhomes...lol

Anyway, keep the pics coming Fran! GOOD JOB!!
Joe
Old 04-05-2010, 05:22 PM   #134

Registry
Wouldn't that be nice to have that much hot water, Dana! Good eye you have there!
Thanks for the humor.

We'll be using it this summer, for sure.

Best,
Fran
Old 04-05-2010, 05:24 PM   #135

Registry
Thanks for your comments, Joe. Hope to meet up this year to compare 'washrooms' as the British call them.

Best,
Fran
Old 04-05-2010, 06:01 PM   #136

Oh I truly look forward to seeing your rig in person sometime Fran, to get to see and appreciate all that you've done through your renovation!
In a way I think my CII is the oddball, as I've done very little to it mod-wise, and it's mostly original. All you other folks who have really jumped in and modded or reno-ed away are the brave ones! hehe

Joe
Old 04-07-2010, 12:17 PM   #137

Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact Jr
Safety Alert!!

On the frames of the Compact Jr. and Compact II, there is a weak spot where the tongue attaches to the frame. Have this checked and reinforced if needed.
Dave Bese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:27 PM   #138

Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr
F I N A L L Y got the refinished poptop with newly sewn fabric, padded vinyl inside, new hardware and refinished lift mechanism and hold down latches, put back on! Whew!

I am currently working on my hunter compact jr and was wondering if anyone knows where to get the blue hardware to make the roof pop up. I only found a place in the UK that has some.

Thanks

May
May Yamamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:09 PM   #139

Registry
Quote:
F I N A L L Y got the refinished poptop with newly sewn fabric, padded vinyl inside, new hardware and refinished lift mechanism and hold down latches, put back on! Whew!

I am currently working on my hunter compact jr and was wondering if anyone knows where to get the blue hardware to make the roof pop up. I only found a place in the UK that has some.

Thanks

May
Hi May,
I don't know where to find the lift mechanism, though Cheri S was given the name and address of an RV salvage lot when she was looking for a door to her trailer. Search her posts to find it. The place was in S. Cal. BTW, I will be moving down to SCal this summer, so eventually I'll be able to meet up with fellow Compact/Hunter/Astro/Trailswest owners.
Best,
Fran
Old 06-25-2010, 10:50 PM   #140

Trailer: Hunter Compact II
Hi May,
I just saw Fran's post....the place is called Walt's RV Surplus in Fontana, Ca. The address is 16616 Valley Blvd. and phone # is 909 823-0563. There's is also another address of 372 West Turllock, Rialto, Ca. 909 421-1107. I haven't been there yet but hear it's "the place" to go when looking for parts for older RV and trailers. I'm planning on going real soon, just go to get my list together of what I'm need. I too am going to need a new lift mechanism, one on the arms on mine is broke in half....not really repairable without looking bad. Well, good luck, and if I get down there soon I'll let you know how it is.
Cheri S is offline   Reply With Quote