'74 Compact II restoration started - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-19-2009, 08:54 PM   #113

Name: Dana
Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
California
Hi Fran, we took ours out for a spin today. My wife had never ridden in the car when I was towing the trailer -- she always met me after I had set everything up. Today we hooked up the trailer and she rode with me as we went down the freeway, then got off and wended our way through town and found a parking spot. She grabbed her bicycle out of the trailer and went for a ride, then we had lunch. Then we drove up a very windy road with no shoulders. So she got a pretty good idea of what it's like to travel with the trailer. She still likes it, so I guess we're good to go!

I forgot to ask -- did you sew the new poptop skirt yourself? Even if not, what material is it made of?

Oh yes, another question -- what did you use as wall covering to cover the insulation?

Thanks!

Old 09-28-2009, 01:06 AM   #114

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Washington
Registry
Hi Dana,
Sorry it took so long to get back to your question. I've been busy off the computer.
Great to hear your wife is o.k. with trailering. Sounds like you had a good experience.

I did sew the pop top from scratch. The fabric is a strong material with a tough, backpack-type woven material on one side, coated with a water resistant vinyl(?) on the other. Believe it or not, I found it at Walmart. They get 'ends' of material there, and you never see the same stuff again. Fortunately I bought enough; just enough, as it turned out. I had to insert some fabric to make it fit, and ended up using almost all of it, save for a few tiny patches of cloth! Whew! Anyway, it was quite inexpensive, so I figured if I goofed it up, I could start again with fabric from Joanns or maybe look on ebay. That's where I found the vinyl foamed-backed material for the ceiling and walls.

I have not covered the insulation yet. Chuck Hagen, who redid a CII near me, left his uncovered under the sink and seating area, and backed his closets with wood panel. I think I'll cover the insul. under the seats with leftover wall covering . The closets will be backed with wood, over the insul. If I have vinyl fabric left, I'll use it to cover under the sink.

Best,
Fran

Quote:
Hi Fran, we took ours out for a spin today. My wife had never ridden in the car when I was towing the trailer -- she always met me after I had set everything up. Today we hooked up the trailer and she rode with me as we went down the freeway, then got off and wended our way through town and found a parking spot. She grabbed her bicycle out of the trailer and went for a ride, then we had lunch. Then we drove up a very windy road with no shoulders. So she got a pretty good idea of what it's like to travel with the trailer. She still likes it, so I guess we're good to go!

I forgot to ask -- did you sew the new poptop skirt yourself? Even if not, what material is it made of?

Oh yes, another question -- what did you use as wall covering to cover the insulation?

Thanks!

Old 10-19-2009, 01:28 PM   #115
Commercial Member

Name: Robert
Trailer: Nest Caravans
Oregon
Registry
Hey Fran,

Hope it's not too late to jump into your thread, but I had a comment about your fridge.

There's an interesting thread about 3-way reefers going on right now, and I wanted to share a thought...

If your fridge hasn't yet been enclosed with cabinetry, you may want to consider adding a "shroud" of appropriate insulation around the four sides (left, right, top and bottom) of the unit. It is my understanding that these absorbtion-type coolers are easily affected by ambient temps as well as infrared light.

RJ
Old 10-19-2009, 11:03 PM   #116

Washington
Registry
Thanks for your suggestions, Robert.
My fridge has not been enclosed yet; I actually was thinking of insulating the walls for the reason you mentioned. I've already put insulation above the fridge. The Dometic installation instructions say to construct a box above the fridge to prevent rising exhaust fumes (in propane mode) from accumulating there.

Where would infrared light come from, though?

Best,
Fran
Old 10-20-2009, 12:06 AM   #117

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I think the infrared would be heat, wouldn't it? Essentially heat "waves" from the sun? I mean, technically I think it may be light, but maybe I just don't think of it that way because it's not in the visible spectrum (unless I am all washed up here).
Old 10-20-2009, 12:14 AM   #118

Washington
Registry
Raya,
I just read the thread about 3-way fridges, with Harry Young as guest speaker. He is a great source, for sure.
Yes, I agree; 'infrared' is probably the sun beating on the exterior vents, radiating heat and some light into the back of the fridge compartment.

Fran

Old 10-22-2009, 03:15 PM   #119
Commercial Member

Name: Robert
Trailer: Nest Caravans
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions, Robert.
My fridge has not been enclosed yet; I actually was thinking of insulating the walls for the reason you mentioned. I've already put insulation above the fridge. The Dometic installation instructions say to construct a box above the fridge to prevent rising exhaust fumes (in propane mode) from accumulating there.

Where would infrared light come from, though?

Best,
Fran

Hi Fran,
I'm not an academic, engineer or scientist, but it's my understanding that infrared can radiate from any heat source. So I'm thinking even a hot highway could be a source of radiation. Theoretically, ambient heat would affect your fridge via conduction, whereas another heat source could affect your fridge via radiation. In practical terms maybe IR isn't such a big deal, but that's what I've been told...

Since I was starting from scratch, I went through the trouble of building an insulated box (with reflective insulation) that both surrounds my fridge on four sides (left, right, top and bottom), as well as prevents ANY heat or exhaust generated by the fridge from going anywhere but OUT.

RJ
Old 12-19-2009, 01:20 AM   #120

Washington
Registry
Progress is creeping along. Finished the plumbing except for attaching the water pump. Framing in the seating/sleeping area is finished; next step is wiring. Still have to frame up the former bathroom, though.

Here are some photos of the project; it's getting cold in the garage these days, plus I'm now sharing the space with a car during the winter.

Fran
Attached Thumbnails
seatarea.jpg   seatarea2.jpg  

seatarea3.jpg   seatarea4.jpg  

waterports.jpg   doorlocks.jpg  

Old 12-19-2009, 02:52 AM   #121

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
Looks like it's coming along nicely Francene! I hope you have it ready to take "on the road" for one of the local Washington or Oregon gatherings next year; I'd love to see it when you're done.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:26 AM   #122

Name: Joe
Trailer: Hunter Industries
California
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
Quote:
Hi Dana,
Thanks for your thoughtful comments. Yes, my spare tire mount is similar to the one at etrailer. The front of the Compact II I have has 2" square channel, not open 'c' channel. There is 'c' channel under the fiberglass body of the trailer, however.
But the front tongue area has the heavier duty steel, thankfully. Don't know if this was standard on the CII's.
Hey Fran,
Was just catching up on your thread and noticed this comment. My CII's tongue is also like this, square tubing, plus mine has diamond plate across the top of the tongue frame, making it like a 'floor' under the propane tank. So maybe the tubing at least is a standard for the CII's. I'm thinking of adding a spare tire mount on the side of my tongue too, so I'm curious to see how yours is. Got pics? hehe
Joe
Old 12-30-2009, 02:51 AM   #123

Name: Jen
Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Quote:
Hey Fran,
Was just catching up on your thread and noticed this comment. My CII's tongue is also like this, square tubing, plus mine has diamond plate across the top of the tongue frame, making it like a 'floor' under the propane tank. So maybe the tubing at least is a standard for the CII's. I'm thinking of adding a spare tire mount on the side of my tongue too, so I'm curious to see how yours is. Got pics? hehe
Joe
Heya, Neighbor Joe! Just thought I'd chime in here. The shop where I had the welding done on my tongue when I did the revamp (now the spare and battery are all out there) just about had a conniption when they saw the construction of the tongue. They were really concerned about the strength of the original construction. I've tried to keep the trailer balanced, weigh-wise, to reduce twisting (torsion?). If you wanna check out how mine turned out, swing by! We're home indefinitely.
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:08 AM   #124

Name: B
Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
Oregon
Chuck, Francene, Joe, Pat and all OTHER Compact II owners!!!

I didn't really follow the complete thread on Francene's Compact II restoration....so today, when I took another longer look, I am so EXCITED to see that what I called the PRIVACY ROOM (thinking that's where everybody puts a Porta-Potti and has complete privacy) might actually have original plumbing underneath the trailer for installing a marine toilet! WOW!!!!
I can't wait to go home and look in my garage at the UNDERNEATH of mine. I've never really crawled under there to explore what I have!!! I haven't noticed any holes, either covered or not, in the privacy room floor or any 'hump' that might house a black water tank, but I'm sure as hell going to look! If it's fitted for that (even if not) , for the past 3 years that I've owned mine, I've been thinking that I'd have a toilet installed. It seems such a waste to put other storage junk into that BIG lovely room, when it could all fit into the back of my Subaru tow vehicle. Can anyone post a pic of the black tank area or the underneath portion of their Compact, so I can compare it to mine....I want to see all the 'potty' pics I can, before I decide what direction to take the EGG.

Interesting also to see that some of you have an oven in your Compact's, when others like me, have only the stove top and lots of drawers. I like the extra storage space...and know I wouldn't bake in the oven, even if I had it. I just bought one of those beautiful propane run ovens from one of my Casita friends...and haven't used it once in the 8 months or so that I've owned it. I'm thinking of posting it on the site for resale.

I am still thinking we could all get together for a semi-big meet of our own...but it takes a lot to plan one during the peak summer months, when you have so many others vying for prime state park vacation time. Any ideas?

Hope everyone has a SAFE and HEALTHY New Year!
Barbara
Old 01-01-2010, 12:09 PM   #125

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Barbara, in my Scamp and a lot of molded trailers, the toilet sits on top of the blackwater tank and the entire thing is in the privacy room. Only the drain pipe goes out through the floor. Mine looks a bit different than the picture below, but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Toilet.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #126

Washington
Registry
Hi Barbara,
Happy New Year to you and everyone else here!

The 'privacy room' in mine had only a small porta-potty; the box platform it was perched on just elevated the little potti.
There was no black tank or under-trailer plumbing, which you might have discovered by now on yours.
There was a disconnected water inlet into the privacy room- I suppose to hook a hose to, but no clue as to what that led to.
There was also a vent in the roof of the room, which had lost it's cap and was letting rain in.
So that's all I can tell you about the set-up in my '74 CII.

I'm working on the former 'privacy room' right now, as it turns out. There will be storage for a potti in there, plus I am putting in a counter for kitchen work space and/or microwave/toaster oven, with a small cabinet above that. The counter surface could also be used as a desk for writing/art work.

Looking forward to a get-together in 2010!

Fran