'74 Compact II restoration started - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2009, 10:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Hi all,
Started to go through the Compact, and found plenty to do. Water damage in 'bathroom' due to an open vent that let rain in! Also water damage to floor around water tank, which was not connected but had lots of water in it. This contributed to the musty smell inside. Needs lots of cleaning outside, which I've begun.
Good news: foam cushions must be fairly recent, stove is in great shape, and old fridge seems to work on 110 and propane, which was a surprise. Could this old fridge be original? Pop top material looks o.k., but I might make a new one.

I will strip out trailer, replace floor, replace insulation, replace cabinets and bed frame inside, derust and paint frame, spot repair fiberglass exterior and paint it.

Took off top today, lots of rusty bolts, but now there's not much weight on the roof. When I strip out cabinets, roof won't sag.

Fran

Attached Thumbnails
IM003970.JPG  
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Wow, get a load of that flooring!

Can't wait to follow along on the restoration

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:36 PM   #3

Registry
I know, the flooring is the original...totally '70's.

I'm going to try photos:
Attached Thumbnails
cushions.jpg   rear_ext.jpg  

trailer_ext.jpg   rear_ext.jpg  

fridge_wall.jpg   bath_room.jpg  

poptop_hardware.jpg   under_seat.jpg  

water_tank_removed.jpg  
Old 04-23-2009, 10:43 PM   #4

Registry
and a few more photos:

Attached Thumbnails
stripped_bath.jpg   old_fridge.jpg  

kitchen.jpg   fridge.jpg  

floor_rot.jpg   battery_box.jpg  

shurflo.jpg  
Old 04-24-2009, 01:52 AM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Wow. You're a stronger woman than EYE am! Looks like it has FANTASTIC potential, but would have scared me off the purchase! YOU GO, Girl!

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:45 AM   #6

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
Hey Francene,
Great rig there, it looks almost identical to mine, is it even the light green color on the lower section of the body?
I would say that IS the original fridge, since it looks exactly like mine, also that great period avacado green color! hehe Mine works still on both propane and 110v, never tried it on 12v yet. I'm guessing they're built like tanks, thank you Dometic! hehe
What a shame that it came to you in the shape it was, but it looks like you're making some amazing repairs/mods, so good for you!
Now did your bathroom not have the commode in it when you got the trailer, or had you already taken it out when you took the pics? And is that some sort of access door on the front of the black water tank hump in the bathroom? You can see like a drawer or cupboard handle in that pic...
Our Compact IIs are rare enough, but with the bathroom and all are even more so, so I'm always curious to see how it is on other folks rigs. After all, I'm not 100% sure what's original to mine, and what's been modded...

Anyway, keep trucking, don't get discouraged, and keep posting plenty of pics for us 'lurkers' who will be watching you all the way and cheering you on, K? hehe

Joe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:50 PM   #7

Registry
Thanks, Jen. Actually, your restoration looks really good. I was checking out all your photos and I thought you've done a fine job so far.
I was going to ask you about the insulation you used. I think I'll remove the 1" thick foam in mine. It's brown from age and probably harbors the mildewy spores and smell from the wood that was near it.

I'd like to put in some insulation with a decent R rating. Where did you get that foil covered material?

Fran
Old 04-24-2009, 08:55 PM   #8

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe

francene,

what is the silvery "trapdoor" for just above the stove burners and below the vent fan?
potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:11 PM   #9

Registry
Hi Joe,
I was going to email you. The color is 'cream' top and bottom. The rig came with no battery, so I couldn't check the fridge on 12V, nor the lights inside.
I'm fine with the condition; it was fairly priced. Of course it would have been nice not to find water damage, but certainly in a 35 year old trailer, my expectations were not very high.
The bathroom had a Porta-potti on a stand, with a drawer built into the stand. Looked really homemade, but what do I know? I don't see any black water tank. There's a white fitting on the outside of the trailer at the bathroom, that you could attach a hose to. This connects to a chrome shut-off valve on the inside of the bath. No tubing is connected to this valve, however. There's also a 3-4" hole in the back left floor of the bathroom, which had been covered with a thin round metal plate with plywood over it. Then there is a small cone-shaped vent on the roof above the bath. This was totally open, and apparantly rain came in and rotted the plywood under the carpetting.
I'd like to redo the bathroom; it would be really helpful to figure out the plumbing it's capable of, though. Is your bath intact? If so, could you post photos?

Thanks Joe!

Fran

Quote:
Hey Francene,
Great rig there, it looks almost identical to mine, is it even the light green color on the lower section of the body?
I would say that IS the original fridge, since it looks exactly like mine, also that great period avacado green color! hehe Mine works still on both propane and 110v, never tried it on 12v yet. I'm guessing they're built like tanks, thank you Dometic! hehe
What a shame that it came to you in the shape it was, but it looks like you're making some amazing repairs/mods, so good for you!
Now did your bathroom not have the commode in it when you got the trailer, or had you already taken it out when you took the pics? And is that some sort of access door on the front of the black water tank hump in the bathroom? You can see like a drawer or cupboard handle in that pic...
Our Compact IIs are rare enough, but with the bathroom and all are even more so, so I'm always curious to see how it is on other folks rigs. After all, I'm not 100% sure what's original to mine, and what's been modded...

Anyway, keep trucking, don't get discouraged, and keep posting plenty of pics for us 'lurkers' who will be watching you all the way and cheering you on, K? hehe

Joe
Old 04-24-2009, 09:19 PM   #10

Registry

what is the silvery "trapdoor" for just above the stove burners and below the vent fan?
[/quote]

That's the vent. It's in the open position in the photo. The range hood does not vent; It just protects the fiberglass above from scorching. Looks like there used to be a light screwed up into it at some time.

I forgot to mention the cool thing about this particular trailer is it fits in an ordinary height garage. That's where it is now, making it easy to work on. I didn't know that parking a boat, trailer, or even a car on the street in front of my house is not allowed unless it is moved every 24 hours! City of Bellingham regulations. ( My driveway is fairly steep, so parking it there was not an option. )

Fran
Old 04-25-2009, 01:32 AM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Thanks, Jen. Actually, your restoration looks really good. I was checking out all your photos and I thought you've done a fine job so far.

<SNIP!>

Where did you get that foil covered material?
Aw...thanks! I was fortunate not to have any rot going on. SUPER fortunate. The trailer was super tight when I got it (except for the front window which I discovered WOULD leak slowly while driving at highway speeds in driving rain - fixed that in North Dakota when we got "locked" out and had to remove a window to get in...might as well be the leaky one!) ---- wow. Now there's a run-on sentence...time to get to bed!

When I bought the trailer that foiled bubble wrap was already installed. FORTUNATELY I didn't rip it out before we left for the trip. That funky lookin' stuff works wonders. And it isn't cheap. It's called Reflectix.

Unfortunately, however, the kid didn't use very gooey stuff to stick it up there. So, if I want to cover it in anything OTHER than material that looks a bit reminiscent of something out of Area 51, I'll have to take it all down and re-glue it.

I read somewhere that there are folks who have used TWO layers of this stuff to make it more insulated. I'm not sure that's a good idea because it would get so darned thick. And if it already "reflects 96% of the radiant energy," another layer would be overkill, right?

For now, I'm sticking with the mechanical details. Then, if I get really brave, I'll move into glue and fabrics. (OK...I did the cushions and curtains... but there was no glue involved in possibly messin' up my new inside paint job!)

Old 04-25-2009, 09:13 AM   #12

Trailer: 1973 Compact II
Quote:
and a few more photos:

HI, I have one of these a year older with same green stove. If you make or buy a cover for the stove for more counter space, I'd sure like to know about it - I need that. My Compact has that same closet but prior owner installed a set of plastic drawers that left just enough room for bucket-type portable toilet.

I was lucky to find one in such good condition at good price - no leaks and all it needed were new curtains - well, sort of, the battery connection wasn't working and wiring connection bad but otherwise a treasure. Dog and I have used it and it is great. Good luck on your ambitious renovations - will be following along. Pat
Pat Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:27 AM   #13

Ensolite is what was used in the Bolers, Trilliums, and earlier Scamps. It's a closed cell foam and has decent R-value. When it was put into the trailers, it had a white(ish) outer skin, but many people have painted it since then and it takes paint fine. I mention that as I can no longer it with said skin, so it would want to be painted. So, you get an insulation and wall covering in one (with Reflectix, you would still probably want to somehow cover it).

I had IR Specialty foams send me some samples. It's available in many thicknesses (thicker equals more R value) and different densities. Here is a link to them:

http://www.irfoam.com/index.php?page=foam2

Raya
Old 04-25-2009, 11:20 PM   #14

Registry
Thanks, Raya, for the info on foam. To clarify, the 1" thick foam that has turned brownish is only from the floor up to about 1 1/2'. Then there's this white vinyl type quilted material with a foam backing attached on the back of it. Only the kitchen walls are fiberglass. Lots of options to consider for finishing materials.
I'm thinking of creating a real bathroom, with waterproof walls, a cassette toilet and small sink. I'd like to find out what the original bath was like in the Compact II.

Fran

Old 05-02-2009, 02:52 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
Quote:
Hi Joe,
I was going to email you. The color is 'cream' top and bottom. The rig came with no battery, so I couldn't check the fridge on 12V, nor the lights inside.
I'm fine with the condition; it was fairly priced. Of course it would have been nice not to find water damage, but certainly in a 35 year old trailer, my expectations were not very high.
The bathroom had a Porta-potti on a stand, with a drawer built into the stand. Looked really homemade, but what do I know? I don't see any black water tank. There's a white fitting on the outside of the trailer at the bathroom, that you could attach a hose to. This connects to a chrome shut-off valve on the inside of the bath. No tubing is connected to this valve, however. There's also a 3-4" hole in the back left floor of the bathroom, which had been covered with a thin round metal plate with plywood over it. Then there is a small cone-shaped vent on the roof above the bath. This was totally open, and apparantly rain came in and rotted the plywood under the carpetting.
I'd like to redo the bathroom; it would be really helpful to figure out the plumbing it's capable of, though. Is your bath intact? If so, could you post photos?

Thanks Joe!

Fran
Hey Fran,
I'm always up for comparing notes on things, and our rigs look very similar. It does sound like you got a KILLER deal on your price, I paid almost $2000 for mine, and that was a fair price.

Here's what I'm seeing in your pics, compared to mine.
1. The top of your battery box, that would make it airtight and safe for you to PUT a battery in (fumes inside the trailer are BAD!) is gone, so you need to replace that. Just a board with some sealer would probably be fine. Also, mine didn't have an onboard battery charger when I got it, and I don't see one in your rig either. I got a simple battery maintainer at WalMart (Like $20 a few yrs ago) and rigged it in, pretty simple. A slow charge, and it does the 'float' function too... Mine did not, and still doesn't have any kind of converter or inverter on board, does yours?
2. It looks and sounds like your trailer had the plumbed bathroom like mine at one time, but it sounds like it's all been removed. Mine has a tiny black water tank under that hump on the bathroom floor, and the commode faces to the back of the trailer. I noticed what looks like a fresh water inlet on the back passenger side of your rig, is that what that is? Mine's on the opposite side, for the sink and all... IF yours had the built-in bathroom, then there MIGHT still be some extra plumbing underneath to supply the fresh water to the bathroom to run the commode.
3. It looks like our rigs are very similarly equipped, except mine has the stove/oven, while yours just has the cooktop. I'm jealous, cause without the oven, you've got a couple more drawers! hehe

My fridge still works well on both 120v and propane, hopefully you'll be so fortunate too. I don't have a lot of interior pics of my rig, but I'll be on a trip at the end of May, so I'll take a bunch of pics for sharing with you, K?

I sure don't know everything, but I'll gladly share whatever knowledge I can, K? Feel free to ask me anything! hehe They are great little rigs, and fairly simple when you get right down to it. It sounds like you've figured out one of the great bonuses of the Compact family already, they fit in most garages! YAY! hehe I could even open the top up on mine after I got it in the garage, which made it easier to work on, pack, stuff like that.

So happy refurbishing, and keep the pics coming so all of us 'lurkers' can keep up with how you're doing, okay Fran? hehe

Joe
Old 05-03-2009, 09:08 PM   #16

Registry
Hi Raya,
What kind of paint would I use over the existing vinyl/foam backed wall covering that is currently in the Compact?

Ensolite is what was used in the Bolers, Trilliums, and earlier Scamps. It's a closed cell foam and has decent R-value. When it was put into the trailers, it had a white(ish) outer skin, but many people have painted it since then and it takes paint fine. I mention that as I can no longer it with said skin, so it would want to be painted.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:39 PM   #17

Registry
Hi Joe,
Thanks for the reply. I am so glad to be in contact with other Compact owners as I do the restoration. Keep the feedback coming, please.

Answers to your questions:

1) Yes, I've heard battery fumes are a no-no inside a trailer. A sealed top sounds adequate. There was a top in mine, just a piece of wood, but it had two 1" diameter holes in it. Not exactly 'sealed'. I also have had one of those maintainers; they're good. (I rebuilt a discarded Jeep Powerwheels kiddy car last year, and used that maintainer from WMart on the 12v battery the car used. Worked fine.) My Compact has no converter or inverter. Someone put in some fuses, though.

2) I heard about that little black water tank from Chuck Hagen, another CPII owner. So that explains the hole in the floor of the bathroom. And yes, there is a fresh water inlet on the outside of the trailer at the bathroom exterior, as well as a fresh water inlet at the kitchen sink exterior. I am considering putting in a little corner sink in the bathroom, but no other plumbing; just use a porta potti. We'll see. My husband says just convert the old bathroom space to storage, and have a porta potti stored at floor level. Pull it out when needed. That's what Chuck did. BTW, we went to see Chuck's redo yesterday, at a classic car show; he restores cars too. His restoration of the Compact II is AMAZING. Beautiful oak cabinets,
too many upgrades to list here. Most people that saw the trailer thought it was new. I have some photos I could post with Chuck's permission. Seeing Chuck's trailer was a real inspiration. He had it painted at MAACO and it looks super on the outside as well as the inside.

3) the fridge works on 110V and propane. Have not tested it on 12V yet. It needs a little exterior rust removal and a new electrical plug and cord, but otherwise it looks pretty good. An old Dometic, made in England.

4) The stovetop works great too. Real clean; must not have been used much.

I'll keep photos posted. The trailer is gutted now. Next, I'll remove the rooted plywood floor and de-rust the trailer frame, maybe beef it up a bit ( I can weld ), put doen fresh, sealed plywood floor and go on from there.

Please post your rig's photos when you get them. Thanks for keeping in touch!

Fran
1974 Compact II
Old 05-03-2009, 10:46 PM   #18

Registry
Fran -

Thought I'd share while you're still in the remodeling mode.

I had a little mishap thanks to the battery being housed inside my Compact Jr. As a result, I've decided to move it outside. I reconfigured the tongue (with a little help from my local welding shop) to include a battery (and spare tire) there rather than inside. Cupboard space restored, too. BONUS!

Now...for the rewiring.

Jen

Old 05-03-2009, 11:48 PM   #19

Francene,

Re: Paint. Do you have something like Ensolite in your Compact II? I have been in a Compact Jr. which had a smooth-vinyl-covered, open-celled foam in a diamond quilted pattern, but I've never been in a Compact II. I think the insulation I just described in the Compact Jr. would be pretty hard to paint, but people have painted Ensolite with everything from acrylic latex (interior house paint) to Melamine (common in Canada) to Rustoleum spray paint.

The Ensolite in my Boler is not painted, but if/when I do paint it I will probably go with an acrylic latex.

A number of people have used Zinsser's "Perma White" with mildewicide to good success. I'm not fond of the idea of sharing such a small space with a mildewicide, and my trailer tends to be dry (no sign of mildew at all even after long-term storage), so I will probably seek out an acrylic latex that does not include a mildewicide.

(Ensolite is a closed cell foam, usually with a thin white or grey or cream vinyl type surface laminated to the "room" side. On the Bolers and older Scamps and Trilliums the texture somewhat resembles elephant hide.)

Raya
Old 05-04-2009, 01:00 AM   #20

Quote:
1) Yes, I've heard battery fumes are a no-no inside a trailer. A sealed top sounds adequate. There was a top in mine, just a piece of wood, but it had two 1" diameter holes in it. Not exactly 'sealed'. I also have had one of those maintainers; they're good. (I rebuilt a discarded Jeep Powerwheels kiddy car last year, and used that maintainer from WMart on the 12v battery the car used. Worked fine.) My Compact has no converter or inverter. Someone put in some fuses, though.

2) I heard about that little black water tank from Chuck Hagen, another CPII owner. So that explains the hole in the floor of the bathroom. And yes, there is a fresh water inlet on the outside of the trailer at the bathroom exterior, as well as a fresh water inlet at the kitchen sink exterior. I am considering putting in a little corner sink in the bathroom, but no other plumbing; just use a porta potti. We'll see. My husband says just convert the old bathroom space to storage, and have a porta potti stored at floor level. Pull it out when needed. That's what Chuck did. BTW, we went to see Chuck's redo yesterday, at a classic car show; he restores cars too. His restoration of the Compact II is AMAZING. Beautiful oak cabinets,
too many upgrades to list here. Most people that saw the trailer thought it was new. I have some photos I could post with Chuck's permission. Seeing Chuck's trailer was a real inspiration. He had it painted at MAACO and it looks super on the outside as well as the inside.

3) the fridge works on 110V and propane. Have not tested it on 12V yet. It needs a little exterior rust removal and a new electrical plug and cord, but otherwise it looks pretty good. An old Dometic, made in England.

4) The stovetop works great too. Real clean; must not have been used much.

I'll keep photos posted. The trailer is gutted now. Next, I'll remove the rooted plywood floor and de-rust the trailer frame, maybe beef it up a bit ( I can weld ), put doen fresh, sealed plywood floor and go on from there.

Please post your rig's photos when you get them. Thanks for keeping in touch!

Fran
1974 Compact II
Hey Fran,
Great hearing back from you, and I agree, always nice to be able to network and share info/ideas/etc with fellow Compact family owners!
It sounds like we need to see some pics of Chuck's trailer, it sounds VERY impressive!

As for the bathroom, yup, sounds like you've seen/heard about how they work. Mine's all original as far as I know, and works well. As far as a sink, well, you MIGHT be able to squeeze one in there, but I would say it'll be VERY TIGHT. Personally the bathroom feels like a glorified cabinet/closet, but at least it IS a bathroom! hehe I did once, just for the heck of it, close the doors while just sitting on the commode (not actually using it!) and it felt a little too claustrophobic to me. Mine has, I'm guessing as original equipment, the commode and one 12v light in the bathroom, and that's it. Some previous owner added a few hooks to hang things on, and I added a mirror to the inside of one of the doors for shaving and such.

EXCELLENT that your fridge works on propane and 110v, honestly that's all I use on mine, have never tried the 12v as I don't have a power line going to my tow vehicle. My trailer is plugged into 110v at my folks place while it's stored, so the battery is all charged up by the maintainer. I'll usually turn the fridge on as soon as I can before a trip, to let it cool down on 110v. When I actually am ready to pull out on my trip, I switch it to propane. I know this has been a discussion point here on the forum, personally I discussed it with my folks and other long time campers, and the concensus was that they've always done it that way without problems. Also with our rigs I can see the fridge grill in my side-view mirror, so I would hope I'd see any smoke or flames if something did happen...

Also, that diamond patterned vinyl insolation that Raya mentioned is exactly what my rig has in it too. I don't know how great it works, I'm sure it's not very efficient since it's 30+ yrs old, but it's not in bad shape, and since it's 'not broke' I'm not going to mess with it yet! hehe

Anyway, overall it sounds like you're on the right track, just keep up the good work, and post pics as you progress through your renovation, K? hehe

Joe