76 Boler Reno/Rework - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2010, 12:21 PM   #21

Name: Karl in Elmira ON
Trailer: Boler 1300-76
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by monasimpson

kgingeri,

I'm having the interior re-done on a 1990 Casita. Alumalite is the material that is being used to make new cabinet doors. Checkout this website to give you some ideas. aeroparadise.com

Good Luck, Mona
Thanks Mona, but that site doesn't seem to work for me? Can you check it again? I clicked it right from your msg so I know I haven't missed spelled it.

Karl
kgingeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:03 PM   #22

Name: mona
Trailer: Casita 16'
Wisconsin
www.aeroparadisellc.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgingeri View Post
Thanks Mona, but that site doesn't seem to work for me? Can you check it again? I clicked it right from your msg so I know I haven't missed spelled it.

Karl
Karl, I hope this works for you. This business is located in Reedsburg, WI.. Their main focus is small, private airplanes....mechanics and interiors. Most of their contact information is on their web site. Eric and Karla Paradis are the owners.

Mona Simpson
monasimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:45 PM   #23

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
http://www.aeroparadisellc.com/ like they added LLC to their URL, which stands for Limited Liability Corporation
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #24

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by monasimpson View Post
Karl, I hope this works for you. This business is located in Reedsburg, WI.. Their main focus is small, private airplanes....mechanics and interiors. Most of their contact information is on their web site. Eric and Karla Paradis are the owners.

Mona Simpson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
AeroParadise, LLC - Custom Aircraft Interiors and Graphics - Reedsburg, Wisconsin, USA like they added LLC to their URL, which stands for Limited Liability Corporation
Ah - did see that URL but figured it wasn't right!

Thanks Mona and Donna!
I will definitely check it out!!
Old 12-14-2010, 04:31 PM   #25

Name: Paul
Trailer: 13' Boler 1977
Ontario
okay thanks for the pointers

i knew the body wrapped under the actual floor of the trailer, and was planning on setting up some blocks with 2X4's of similar wood underneath to add support, ........but thought you were setting it just on the floor, ......in which case i would as well, .........

but i will support it in someway and walk gingerly while making repairs!!!

thanks

Paul
pbraunton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:49 PM   #26

Ontario
Registry
A little but significant progress on this Reno. I have a new aluminum frame, axle, wheels and brakes! Sure isn't camping weather here in winter wonderland Ontario Canada - near -20C!!

First mild spell and the body goes on - wha-hoooie!!
Attached Thumbnails
image-3657074784.jpg   image-1430160819.jpg  

image-4277164675.jpg  
Old 01-24-2011, 05:51 AM   #27

Trailer: 1978 Boler 1700
Have you figured out the weight loss with the aluminum frame over the original? Nice job on the frame. You the welder? Like the surge brake as well.
Don N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:39 AM   #28

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don N
Have you figured out the weight loss with the aluminum frame over the original? Nice job on the frame. You the welder? Like the surge brake as well.
No, didn't weight it yet Don, but it is definitely lighter. The axle alone is 95 (shipping specs, with brakes), and I venture to guess the entire frame is not much more. Two of us could lift it and flip it on the bench with ease. I could lift it myself as well. So all and all I'd say it's between 200 and 250, where the original may have been 300-350? I will weight it dry and report back after all renos are done, to let everyone know how well I did.

The welder is Jason, my friend who welds trailers for a living. I do weld, but never aluminum, and I didn't want to experiment on a critical piece like this!
Old 01-29-2011, 02:25 AM   #29

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Own a PUP and looking for a Boler
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgingeri View Post
No, didn't weight it yet Don, but it is definitely lighter. The axle alone is 95 (shipping specs, with brakes), and I venture to guess the entire frame is not much more. Two of us could lift it and flip it on the bench with ease. I could lift it myself as well. So all and all I'd say it's between 200 and 250, where the original may have been 300-350? I will weight it dry and report back after all renos are done, to let everyone know how well I did.

The welder is Jason, my friend who welds trailers for a living. I do weld, but never aluminum, and I didn't want to experiment on a critical piece like this!
Did he TIG it or use a spool gun? (welding nerd here)
brslk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:53 PM   #30

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk

Did he TIG it or use a spool gun? (welding nerd here)
Hi Brslk, his welder has the spool internal but the feeding mechanism is in the end by the tip. This avoids 'bird-nesting', though he says the take more abuse - being on the floor or hitting it. The frame fits great. got it on the aft. pics coming in a few minutes.

Karl. :v)
Old 01-29-2011, 08:10 PM   #31

Ontario
Registry
It fits - whew!

Well it wasn't real mild, but I just had to know!
Here are two pics - rigging to get it on and it all done and covered up again...

Karl
Attached Thumbnails
image-4186780152.jpg   image-3120563886.jpg  

Old 05-13-2011, 07:40 PM   #32

Ontario
Registry
Latest pics, tried a previous post and lost my big blurb, so I'll post these and then explain.
Attached Thumbnails
image-58229145.jpg   image-2309677138.jpg  

image-2070358387.jpg  
Old 05-13-2011, 08:23 PM   #33

Ontario
Registry
So it's been a while! I still feels like I'm in demolition mode, but I am doing some building - windows and cabinets.

End of May is coming fast but I want to do a quaulity job not a fast one. All windows and almost all outer rivets are removed. I don't think there was a rivet that didn't leak in this thing!! I am for sure using stainless hardware, with threads coated in silicon, for any thru-body mounting required! The steel pin left inside the rivet also rusts and leaves nice stains :v( To remove rivets, I found that a small wood chisel I could resharpen (just a bit wider then a rivet head) and a hammer, removed the rivet head nicely, then a punch to poke the old rivet thru. This was the least damaging to the fiberglass and the fastest in the long run. Sometime the steel pin part is sticking thru a bit and that makes it tougher. I'll be using a clamp-ring to re-mount the new windows, so no rivets there!

I'll be re-mounting front and back windows with Wedge-tight rubber (from Speanaur, in Canada) and a chrome insert. The other four I am building and will use a clamp-ring affair for mounting. The door window will be slightly larger as will the kitchen.

The third pic shows that there is quite a bit of patching to do on the body, holes from previous appliances etc. Also the skirt has been damaged in a few places, and behind the door hinges. So I've got a sizeable amout of fiberglass patching materials.

Anyway, hope to be posting more soon and more often!

Karl :v)
Old 05-14-2011, 06:02 PM   #34

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1985 16 ft Scamp
Ohio
Hey Karl

I enjoyed reading about the work you are doing. That is a big task and it looks great. I love the aluminum frame.

I am in the process of freshening mine up a bit and I am going to use stainless steel button-head bolts and never seize. That way I can remove the cabinets at a later date with a helper on the outside with an allen wrench to loosen the bolts. My Dad has a bench grinder set up for polishing stainless so it won't take long to make them shine.

Keep us posted with your Boler Project. I can't wait to see it all done.

Michael
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:01 AM   #35

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike
Hey Karl

I enjoyed reading about the work you are doing. That is a big task and it looks great. I love the aluminum frame.

I am in the process of freshening mine up a bit and I am going to use stainless steel button-head bolts and never seize. That way I can remove the cabinets at a later date with a helper on the outside with an allen wrench to loosen the bolts. My Dad has a bench grinder set up for polishing stainless so it won't take long to make them shine.

Keep us posted with your Boler Project. I can't wait to see it all done.

Michael
Thanks for your encouragement Michael! It sure is a pile of work, but I do hope to have it looking like NEW when done - and stay that way for years to come!

I personally see stainless as the only way to go. Your right about being able to remove pieces if need be - good thought. You may want to put a dab of silicon on the threads too - for seal and to sort of act like lock-tite. One problem with hardware vs rivets is likely that a nut-bolt combo can loosen with vibration etc. Just more 2 cents worth.

Karl
Old 05-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #36

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Looks great Karl. I also put in all stainless bolts around the windows in my rebuild to be able to take things out. Anything that was straight steel was rusted through and tough to take out. I also would suggest sitting in a mockup of your front dinning area. I was planning to put a 12" storage area behind one of the seats and after trying it on for size with my wife and me sitting at the table, realized we would be hitting each others knees. I ended up with a full seat across the front and no storage area, but we are 6 feet tall and a smaller area may work for someone else.
Keep the photo's coming, it's nice to see your work and design ideas.
DannyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #37

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
I forgot to mention how I installed the bolts for the windows. I used a stainless steel hex head bolt, whick looks like a rivet, and on the inside used a stainless steel washer and a stainless lock nut with plastic interior. I put a bead of Eternabond on the washer side that was next to the fiberglass and tighened. The Eternabond would sqeeze out to help lock the nut on and give a good waterproof seal. I was still able to take the bolt out when I screwed up once, but the eternabond really held everything tight.
DannyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:52 PM   #38

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyH View Post
I forgot to mention how I installed the bolts for the windows. I used a stainless steel hex head bolt, whick looks like a rivet, and on the inside used a stainless steel washer and a stainless lock nut with plastic interior. I put a bead of Eternabond on the washer side that was next to the fiberglass and tighened. The Eternabond would sqeeze out to help lock the nut on and give a good waterproof seal. I was still able to take the bolt out when I screwed up once, but the eternabond really held everything tight.
Yeah, thanks for the suggestion Danny - re the dinette and Eternabond.

I was concerned about size/room when others here questioned it, so I did exactly that - built a cardboard pattern and mockup (with a thin wood top). It seems like lots of room to me, but we are smaller then most - both under the 5'6" mark. When built, I'll sit and take a picture. The seats will not be deep, 16" and 18", leaving a little over 20" for leg room. We can also sit with knees out if that feels to crammy. The door side will be big enough to hold a potty too.

I gotta say, one of the great things about a forum like this is the encouragement and motivation stimulus it gives
Old 06-29-2011, 10:33 PM   #39

Ontario
Registry
Back At It! :)

Soooo.... I took a week of holidays to get this project moving - and it is!

Here are some updates - see attached pics - hopefully they stay in the order I uploaded them. I'll describe them in that order, anyway...
  1. Pic of my dinette prototype (small but functional)
  2. Patching the wall that will be exposed - I used Mono in the seams. A previous owner did this (rather then the sticky tape) and it worked well, so I did the same.
  3. Installed a wheel-jack BUT it needed to be disassembled and cut down about 3.5" as the Boler tongues are quite low
  4. Installed a 14x14" new vent and it will have a fan. Hid wires in vinyl/foam interior layer
  5. Getting the exterior ready to paint. This project is not one for the faint of heart - WOW what a pile of work! Fiberglass patching, bondo, putty lotsa lotsa sanding!!!
  6. Sample of some of the fiberglass patching I had to do. I will not have a furnace. We'll use a micro furnace, as we always stay in hook-up areas
  7. Outside view of patched area primed to be sure it's ready for paint
  8. Interior all ready for paint. I patched ALL - and I do mean ALL - rivet holes. New holes will be made for new cabinets as I build them. And as mentioned, only stainless hardware thru the skin.
  9. Interior was primed with a tinted oil based primer and then I went over it with a decorative stone spray (my wife's idea). I did a small test area initially and it seemed ok, but I'm waiting for it all to dry now (quite cool out today so it's not a speedy process)
  10. a sample (though not great) of primer plus stone spray

So that's it for now. If it's good weather tomorrow (not windy, dry and warm) I'll be painting the exterior - nerve racking a bit. There is way too much potential for 'curtains' (paint runs - for non painters)!

Any who - that's it for now.
Attached Thumbnails
PrototypeDinette.JPG   PatchingForDinette.JPG  

WheelJack.JPG   New14x14Vent.JPG  

GettingRdyToPaint.JPG   FiberglassPatching.JPG  

OutsidePatched.JPG   InteriorRdyToPaint.JPG  

Old 06-29-2011, 10:37 PM   #40

Ontario
Registry
...ok, my last pic of the interior sample didn't seem to show up... here's another try...
Attached Thumbnails
InteriorPaint.JPG  

Tags
boler