76 Boler Reno/Rework - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-13-2010, 02:57 PM   #15

Name: Karl in Elmira ON
Trailer: Boler 1300-76
Ontario
Registry
Hmmm, likely a bit heavy Donna, but I love the site!! Great resource!
(I'm watching every pound I can, practically)

Thanks!

Old 12-13-2010, 03:04 PM   #16

Ontario
Registry
One thought was to partition the back cushion in the middle to fold-down between us - like some cars have in the back seats. That is to say a table surface that the cushion is attached to (hinged at the bottom, folding out at the top). The problem is that for 'nerding', it's not comfy to work with your back twisted like that for long! :O Hense the need to use it with leg room.

Mary (my wife) would like to have the bed always made, but use pillow-like cushions around the walls for sitting, if need be. Still considering options as there is no rush

MOstly I 'nerd' outside anyway, this is only when weather doesn't co-operate with our camping schedule

Old 12-13-2010, 10:49 PM   #17

Name: Paul
Trailer: 13' Boler 1977
Ontario
hey, i have a question about taking the body off the frame, .......

are you walking/working on the shell while it is sitting on the ground?, did you put any supports under it while walking around in it?, ...

I want to do this to my 73 boler this spring, but only have a small garage and would love to put the shell in it to work on it, (it won't fit in the garage on the frame) but was wondering if i would wreck something with nothing supporting it while it is on the ground and off the frame........???hope you understand my question

thanks

Paul
Old 12-14-2010, 06:28 AM   #18

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Paul parts of the body are lower than the frame. The body sorta wraps around the frame. You'll need to support it from the bottom so you don't crush those parts.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:15 AM   #19

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbraunton
hey, i have a question about taking the body off the frame, .......

are you walking/working on the shell while it is sitting on the ground?, did you put any supports under it while walking around in it?, ...
...snipped...
Paul
Hi Paul,

Donna is correct. I have mine supported in four corners around the outside of the floor area - where there is laminated plywood in the FG. This means my floor is suspended off the ground by a few inches (thought that'd be better as it is outside). I could likely slide some 2x4's under the floor area yet as well for a bit more support.

So yes, I am working in it. I don't think you want to jump up and down while in there, as there is no metal support around the immediate floor area. If you shim yours up with the FG floor resting slightly on the garage floor (ideal), you'd be all set to dance in it

Karl

EDIT: if you look under, you should find the areas where plywood is laminated in the FG.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:04 AM   #20

Name: mona
Trailer: Casita 16'
Wisconsin
Lightweight door panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgingeri View Post
Hmmm, likely a bit heavy Donna, but I love the site!! Great resource!
(I'm watching every pound I can, practically)

Thanks!
kgingeri,

I'm having the interior re-done on a 1990 Casita. Alumalite is the material that is being used to make new cabinet doors. Checkout this website to give you some ideas. aeroparadise.com

Good Luck, Mona
Old 12-14-2010, 12:21 PM   #21

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by monasimpson

kgingeri,

I'm having the interior re-done on a 1990 Casita. Alumalite is the material that is being used to make new cabinet doors. Checkout this website to give you some ideas. aeroparadise.com

Good Luck, Mona
Thanks Mona, but that site doesn't seem to work for me? Can you check it again? I clicked it right from your msg so I know I haven't missed spelled it.

Karl
Old 12-14-2010, 02:03 PM   #22

Name: mona
Trailer: Casita 16'
Wisconsin
www.aeroparadisellc.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgingeri View Post
Thanks Mona, but that site doesn't seem to work for me? Can you check it again? I clicked it right from your msg so I know I haven't missed spelled it.

Karl
Karl, I hope this works for you. This business is located in Reedsburg, WI.. Their main focus is small, private airplanes....mechanics and interiors. Most of their contact information is on their web site. Eric and Karla Paradis are the owners.

Mona Simpson
Old 12-14-2010, 02:45 PM   #23

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
http://www.aeroparadisellc.com/ like they added LLC to their URL, which stands for Limited Liability Corporation
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #24

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by monasimpson View Post
Karl, I hope this works for you. This business is located in Reedsburg, WI.. Their main focus is small, private airplanes....mechanics and interiors. Most of their contact information is on their web site. Eric and Karla Paradis are the owners.

Mona Simpson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
AeroParadise, LLC - Custom Aircraft Interiors and Graphics - Reedsburg, Wisconsin, USA like they added LLC to their URL, which stands for Limited Liability Corporation
Ah - did see that URL but figured it wasn't right!

Thanks Mona and Donna!
I will definitely check it out!!
Old 12-14-2010, 04:31 PM   #25

Name: Paul
Trailer: 13' Boler 1977
Ontario
okay thanks for the pointers

i knew the body wrapped under the actual floor of the trailer, and was planning on setting up some blocks with 2X4's of similar wood underneath to add support, ........but thought you were setting it just on the floor, ......in which case i would as well, .........

but i will support it in someway and walk gingerly while making repairs!!!

thanks

Paul
Old 01-23-2011, 10:49 PM   #26

Ontario
Registry
A little but significant progress on this Reno. I have a new aluminum frame, axle, wheels and brakes! Sure isn't camping weather here in winter wonderland Ontario Canada - near -20C!!

First mild spell and the body goes on - wha-hoooie!!
Attached Thumbnails
image-3657074784.jpg   image-1430160819.jpg  

image-4277164675.jpg  
Old 01-24-2011, 05:51 AM   #27

Name: Don
Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17'
Ontario
Have you figured out the weight loss with the aluminum frame over the original? Nice job on the frame. You the welder? Like the surge brake as well.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:39 AM   #28

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don N
Have you figured out the weight loss with the aluminum frame over the original? Nice job on the frame. You the welder? Like the surge brake as well.
No, didn't weight it yet Don, but it is definitely lighter. The axle alone is 95 (shipping specs, with brakes), and I venture to guess the entire frame is not much more. Two of us could lift it and flip it on the bench with ease. I could lift it myself as well. So all and all I'd say it's between 200 and 250, where the original may have been 300-350? I will weight it dry and report back after all renos are done, to let everyone know how well I did.

The welder is Jason, my friend who welds trailers for a living. I do weld, but never aluminum, and I didn't want to experiment on a critical piece like this!

Tags
boler