911-28 Traveler Toilet System remount delimna - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
911-28 Traveler Toilet System remount delimna

As some of you may know by reading older threads there are different bathroom facilities that changed over the years. My 86 Casita has the above board Mansfield/ Sealand holding tank and china toilet. For some unknown reason and for the life of me I cant figure out is that the waste valve is mounted under the trailer and butted up against the frame. To worsen the matter is that the waste pipe is threaded up into the holding tank. Its like they mounted everything on the camper and then put it onto the frame last because I dont know how you can do otherwise to get the tank or valve off.

Im not sure if this can be converted to an under frame BT storage or not as there isnt much depth for frame to ground.

Does anyone know or has anyone modified the down pipe extension so that the valve clears the frame and if so what did you do? Perhaps there is a valve pipe right angle combo that I have not seen which would fill the bill?
Thanks again and hope this made sense?
Mike
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
As you note, it's unlikely that there's room for a black tank under the trailer...I think the dump valve barely clears the ground as it is!

Here are some docs/instructions for the toilet- they're from an interesting discussion on the subject at this link.

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #3

Texas
Thanks Francesca. I do have the original manual fortunately as you have posted above but it offered no answers other when I was removing the old one it sure helped to look at the diagrams. I have posted my entire Casita manual in the document section. The issue is the valve was bolted into the FG and wood but as you see the pipe is threaded on both ends. In my mind they had to have bolted it into place and then spun the top tank down on the other thread but I'm not sure how that was accomplished given the lack of room in there. I am thinking that I will extend the pipe so that the valve shows below the frame (which makes it more susceptible to road damage). Another option is to carry a portable black tank and connect it up w/o and tank top side but the thought of that doesn't thrill me. Maybe I can create an elbow and connect it at an angle. Another thought is to weld a skid plate to the frame to protect it????? I think or hope we are getting close to an answer.
Mike
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 03-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Mike,
Have you talked to Larry Gamble? He knows more about Casita plumbing than the Casita factory. His shop is on Lake Fork near Yantis, Texas.

Little House Customs
Old 03-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #5

Texas
I have not. I have seen his web site. I'm not very far from Yantis maybe an hours drive. Might be worth the trip to go down there if he has an "open shop" and talk one on one. I could even hook my baby up and haul it down. Thanks for the tip. Sand Bass and Crappie are biting too.
Mike
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 03-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
In my experiences the gate valves have a glue joint, not threads, on both sides. This keeps them from "Unscrewing" in use.

I'll bet that there is a glue joint somewhere that joins part #8 to #9 or even in the middle of Part #8. I have seen this sort of dirty trick done several time before in RV's of all shapes and sizes. Once it's together and out the door it's not the builders problem anymore !!!!!

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I have a similar set up on my Hunter and l;ooked at it today. What it appears they may have done back in 1973 was screw in the nipple item 8 to the bottom of the tank, and then screwed just a dump valve flange onto the nipple, then they attached the valve with it's 4 corner screws.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #8

Texas
I talked to Larry at Little House and am going to take it over during the week. The issue which I failed to take a picture of is that the valve was literally butted up against the frame arm parallel to it with no more than a half inch clearance to the side. I could not unscrew the valve even if I had wanted to. I was able to unscrew the tank from the top side by spinning it around but not sure that would have been correct either but it worked. Thanks for all the inputs and hope there is a plan B. There might be a tank with an offset hole instead of dead center like mine is.
Mike
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 03-13-2013, 06:45 AM   #9

Texas
I went to see Larry yesterday and met his lovely wife Deb. Larry graciously took about an hour of his time to go over my Casita and give me several suggestions. I also want to thank the nameless "South Carolinian" Casita owner whose trailer Larry was working on at the time. He stepped aside and let me roll in on them while they were modding his baby. First or second thing "Miss Adventures" (my new name) is going to get a growth spurt of three inches to give me some ground clearance. This will allow some latitude with drain issues that I will or should be able to work around. He also highlighted some other things to consider while I was in the reno stage. Thanks Tom for suggesting that I contact Larry and thanks to LHC for their time.

Mike
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 03-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Mike your trailer is nearly 30 years old (mine is 26 years old). We know all the molded manufacturers have learned from their mistakes and have made corrections. The trick is to read all the forums and learn, and eventually you'll find a solution that works best for you

Little House Customs is the bomb
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote