92S13 Front Dinette Finished - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2006, 08:30 AM   #1

Trailer: 1992 13 ft Scamp
Our work on this project is presented in a thread last posted May 20th '06. Work contunued, but posting flaged. Now, after a Motherboard crash, college graduation,
trip to visit son in Peace Corp, a trip to surprise the mother of the bride, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, A TWO WEEK SHAKE DOWN CRUISE WITH OUR SCAMP; we have time to post pictures of our now finished front dinette.

At last posting we had installed a mounting board on the front wall of the scamp with fiberglass

Click image for larger version

Name:	Front_table_mounting_board.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	4775

12V wiring for future undefined projects was installed. then the reflcxtix insulation and rat fur were closed using spray adhesive.

Name:	Reflectix_closed.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	4776

The table was made to follow the style of the new main dinette table. A "no post" support was used in conjundtion with a rail type wall attachment.

Name:	Front_dinette_mounting_rail.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	4777

oops out of space. to be continued.....
DianeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 08:40 AM   #2

continued:

The no post support without table and with table looking from below.

Name:	Front_dinette_table__support.JPG
Views:	428
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	4778
Attached Thumbnails
Front_dinette_table_support_from_below.JPG  
Old 09-07-2006, 08:51 AM   #3

All done....and boy!!, do we like it!

Name:	Kichenette_completed_1.JPG
Views:	605
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	4781

Name:	Sunflowers_in_new_dinette.JPG
Views:	499
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	4782
Attached Thumbnails
Dinette_with_sunflowers.JPG  
Old 09-07-2006, 08:54 AM   #4
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Good to hear from you again! Sounds like you have been very, very busy.

I really like the improvements. . That table support looks great. No getting ones feet caught up in it.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 08:57 AM   #5
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Oh, WOW! You were posting the last pictures while I was responding.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:15 AM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Great job! You'll love the improvement..
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:26 AM   #7

Thanks.......

We said done......we know it will never be done...that'd be no fun.

We should have said fully usable. When we finally hooked the propane up last week the stove and refer worked and nothing leaked. this weekend we may get to try out the furnace.....they're talking frost .
Old 09-07-2006, 11:17 AM   #8

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 15 ft
Send a message via ICQ to Ken James
Good job! I'm very impressed with your workmanship. As one who has done this conversion I can assure you that you'll enjoy the trailer a whole lot more configured this way. A place to eat and sleep with a minimum of fuss and bother, isn't that what these things are all about?

Have fun!
Ken James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:04 PM   #9

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Bending aluminum pipe to make a pedestal that's light weight and out of the way is a very neat and clever solution. Great job.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:10 PM   #10

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B
Very nice modification.
Looks good without a post too---ours is done and I will NOT have dh change our design!!
The front dinette has been the best modification we have done in our trailer---absolutely love it...
Doug & Anna-Marie P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:40 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Bending aluminum pipe to make a pedestal that's light weight and out of the way is a very neat and clever solution. Great job.
I agree that it's nicely done. Diane, is that aluminum tubing, or something like plated or galvanized steel? The size (diameter and wall thickness) would also be good to know, for anyone thinking of <strike>stealing</strike> duplicating the design.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 06:58 PM   #12

Quote:
The size (diameter and wall thickness) would also be good to know, for anyone thinking of <strike>stealing</strike> duplicating the design.
Thanks everyone.

Good eyes B-P, The post is 3/4 steel conduit tubing. It does have a bit of flex and the design transfers a lot of force to the mounting rail at the rear. The table travels in the broken down configuration in which it nests between the seat boxes. I'm considering an additional brace across the bend to give it a little more rigidity. It works great as is though; but, there is always room for improvement.

Steal away, I'll be interested in your improvements and ideas. Will be happy to answer any questions & provide closeup photos if needed.

Dave and Diane
Old 09-08-2006, 06:30 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Dave and Diane, thanks for the details. Conduit is inexpensive, readily available, and easily bent at a suitable radius, so it's fortunate that it's strong enough. For someone duplicating the design, a larger diameter conduit might be an option, rather than bracing, for more stiffness.

I can believe that there is a lot of stress on the mounting rail, but in the earlier topic (92S13 front dinette, on going project), the supporting rib is shown fiberglassed into the wall, so there's substantial structure for it. Obviously, even if the details were not set back in April, there was a plan...

This won't be happening any time soon in my Boler, but it might be nice way to improve access to the stock front dinette, which currently has the typical folding leg support. Our dinette table is longer, so I would need to carefully consider the strength required.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:00 AM   #14

Quote:
I can believe that there is a lot of stress on the mounting rail, but in the earlier topic ([b]92S13 front dinette, on going project), the supporting rib is shown fiberglassed into the wall, so there's substantial structure for it. Obviously, even if the details were not set back in April, there was a plan...

You are right Brian, There was a rough plan for the no post support. I find that doing these projects takes me much less time than the thinking about them. I build them several different ways in my head first and try to envision how they will work and more importantly, in what ways each design won't work........

We have used this design for about 3500 miles this summer and have not found any real problems yet. Well, the seats; they are just the right size (a key deciding factor); but could do with a better quality foam padding. I may have to re build them to our comfort needs.

Yes, we really do love it this way. I'm surprised this is not a standard scamp option.

Dave and Diane
Old 09-11-2006, 09:11 PM   #15

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Well, [b]the seats; they are just the right size (a key deciding factor); but could do with a better quality foam padding. I may have to re build them to our comfort needs.

Yes, we really do love it this way. I'm surprised this is not a standard scamp option.

Dave and Diane
This reminds me of the Casita Freedom Deluxe.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:05 PM   #16

Part two

We just returned from the Door County WI gathering where several participants expressed interest in our scamp 13 front dinette mod. so I'm pulling it up closer to the surface. We have been using the front dinette with no problems since the original posts with no repairs or modifications. We love it.

Diane P